Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Warrior Priest

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  jigplums 
#1 ·
First thing I've done for a couple of months, before I got back to painting everything green, I thought I'd do a random warrior priest I had sitting around!

See less See more
#3 ·
You've paid attention to detail and have ended up with a good paint job. I for one can't be bothered with painting eyes. I like the upper body armour and the inside of the shield. If you want my honest opinion on the blue, I think that although it looks ok, I don't think it looks realistic. Are there any blue washes you could apply to try and blend the two blue tones together to make the lighter colour less defined? I think if you are able to do this you will have a superb model.

Still, a good effort and for that I rep you.

#5 ·
From what I can see the skin looks like it is Tallern Flesh with Ogryn Flesh wash and then a highlight. Am I right? If so I would try to make the skin a tad brighter. Perhaps use a mix of Dwarf Flesh and Bleached Bone. Just my thoughts. Other than that the model looks great, so plus rep for you .Can we get a shot of the back of the model.

Skar

#7 ·
...the skin looks like it is Tallern Flesh with Ogryn Flesh wash and then a highlight. Am I right? If so I would try to make the skin a tad brighter. Perhaps use a mix of Dwarf Flesh and Bleached Bone.
If that is the way the skin is done then, having used that scheme myself, the darkness is probably due to the lighting and not the model.

If you are going to highlight the flesh I would use something a little less stark than a Bleached Bone mix; maybe Tallarn Flesh and Elf Flesh.

#6 ·
Certainly not bad! It could use another stage of highlights overall, I think-- particularly the skin and the leather bits. The skin tone seems very flat-- one more highlight layer of something like Elf Flesh mixed with a touch of whatever the last layer was will really define the muscles. As for the leather bits, maybe a mix of something like Bestial Brown and Snakebite Leather as a highlight to help show the details-- they barely show with the weight of the inking on the leather parts. A proper base would help the model out a bit too, I think-- even something as simple as sand painted over with a layer of Graveyard Earth and then drybrushed with Bleached Bone, and fixed with a patch of static grass would help make the model pop. Also, he needs a square base if he wants to be fighting in the Old World! However, on a round base, he could be a pretty good counts-as Inquisitor or Inquisitorial henchman.

#8 ·
Hey guys, thanks for all the feed back, got a stinking headache now though, so will do what has been suggested tomorrow, I've washed the robe with blue wash already though, has really helped blend it in, looks good. Skin was black base, tanned flesh, tallaran flesh, then a light highlight of dwarf flesh, and a little bit of orgyn wash, the picture does look a little flat, but in rl it looks all right, but I'll give it a try with dwarf/elf mix, just very light and see!

and.. well the base :p he fell over, chipped a bit off his robe, I cursed and just grabbed the first base and stuck him in, then it dawned on me that I'd stuck him on a round one, so I will swap them and do the base properly as well.

#9 ·
... the picture does look a little flat, but in rl it looks all right, but I'll give it a try with dwarf/elf mix, just very light and see!
As we ALL know, our minis look much better in person. All our colors and shading wash out and blend together giving our models a flat monotone look. And God knows that a flash makes it even worse!! So try this extremely easy and helpful technique. Get a pencil ready... You ready? Ok, here it is. Use a black background. That it. Simple as that. 98% of us use the automatic setting on our cameras and snap away. Right, but wrong. The camera automatically "sees" all the white and reads it as light. That's why your model looks darker and all the colors wash away, fade and blend in. If you use a black or dark background the camera will use your mini as the light source and automatically set itself for the mini and NOT the background.

Here you can see the difference between a white background and a black background. Both pictures were take with the same camera on 'auto' mode, at the same time, at the same location. The ONLY difference was the background.

The white....

The black...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.