Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I keep my warrior priest with HA and GW, or take two Captains with FP and GW.

Points are there, army is 2200.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
depends on what you want from your characters and the makeup of the rest of your army,
Captains are more fighty but the warrior priest benefits the whole unit and helps with dispelling. try posting a full list to help us get a bigger picture of what you need.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Depends what you want- if you want a unit buffer and more magical defense take the priest, if you want a killy character for challenges go with the captain.

Mostly, in a vacuum, I would say take the priest. There are not many times when +1WS and +1A and a better save are going to be that game-changing, while an extra DD and a whole unit rerolling to hit could well be vital.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Depends what you want- if you want a unit buffer and more magical defense take the priest, if you want a killy character for challenges go with the captain.

Mostly, in a vacuum, I would say take the priest. There are not many times when +1WS and +1A and a better save are going to be that game-changing, while an extra DD and a whole unit rerolling to hit could well be vital.
agreed. Plus a warrior priest has a few low level spells which can be very handy!

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
TBH I normally forget they even have those- they are nice and all but not really on par with most magic. I recon they work as random things to do if you have a dice or two left after casting what you want.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
General of the Empire, Holy Relic, Crown of Command, Shrieking Blade, Full Plate, Shield

Wizard Lord of the Celestial Order, Talisman of Protection, Seal of Destruction

Captian of the Empire (BSB), Armour of Destiny, Great Weapon

Warrior Priest, Great Weapon, Heavy Armour

Master Engineer
Master Engineer

36x Swordsmen, Command (6x6)

42x Halberdiers, Shields, Command, Standard of Discipline (7x6)

30x Spearmen, Shields, Command(5x6)

16x Handgunners, Marksman, Repeater handgun

14x Handgunners, Marksman, Repeater handgun

Cannon
Cannon
Mortar
Mortar

This is the list as a whole, to begin with i wanted to know the preference in a vacuum. Now I see I also need to look at it as a whole also. General BSB in the Halberdier unit the Standard creates a leadership 10 bubble. Crown makes them stubborn, and Shrieking Blade makes them immune to fear. I like the blade cause it is a cheap magic weapon, and on the off chance a units fails their fear check it makes the Halberdiers a little more dangerous.
Cannon and mortar combos, and the handgunners to protect the cannons flanks. by trial and error I have found that 14 man units of handgunners are the ideal number for killing flanking units in one round of shooting. Skinks, fast cav, flyers ect.
The lore of heavens works best with my style of play.
I was thinking the priest in the swords man unit to make them unbreakable. the healing and rerolls are just a plus. I usually cast them first cause most people let them go to save dice for my wizard.
Thats the big picture.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Fear doesn't work like that anymore- units in base contact with a fear causing enemy take a fear test... models that cause fear are then immune to the effects. Having the shrieking blade will only make the general immune to fear.
... though oddly it could make an enemy fear you just as you fear them (eg if you ran into a unit that also has a fear causing character).

Then again, with Ld10 and a BSB you really shouldn't be failing any Ld tests anyway.

I like the list in general, although I would make a few changes:
Crossbowmen are just plain better then handgunners: +6" range gives you equality with enemy longbows, won't leave you with only half your unit in range to fire against an enemy 24" unit and will normally let you fire if you have the first turn (rather then handgunners which would normally be out of range). The loss of AP can be a little annoying, but there is little that it makes a massive difference against.

Unless you really like the champ I would make the missile units detachments anyway. That way you set up more quickly (always good for a gunline to go first), won't start panicking if they die and get additional stand and shoot options.

I might also drop one of your block units to halve it and add it back as detachments. A unit of 20 halberdiers flank charging an enemy might not help you win against strong enemies but it'll help a lot and means an enemy can't pursue if only 1 of the units break.

I would also drop the spearmen for either swordsmen or halberdiers: swordsmen in bigger units, halberdiers in smaller. Swordsmen live longer and help to tarpit enemies while halberdiers will do more damage: an extra 6 S3 attacks from spearmen aren't going to change a combat but increasing those attacks to S4 or getting +1AS and 6++ parry (~30% less casualties against S4 and ~50% as many against WS4 S4 enemies) might do nicely.

As for magic- I think many people would suggest shadow to you, but I actually think that metal would be the best option: sure some of the spells are rather specific to models with good armour saves but then these are the enemies you'll likely struggle against most, but its actually for the other spells that I suggest it. +1 to hit (plus magical and AP) would be nice for ranged o combat units, 5+ scaly skin makes your units pretty hard to kill in combat (3+/6++ swordsmen would be cool) and final transmutation killing a few enemies and causing lots of stupidity tests to fragment and slow the enemy advance would be very beneficial.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts