Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick rules question. I was playing in a tournament and my opponent targeted a squad of warp spiders with their assault cannons. I made a jump and moved out of range. He then claimed that he could pick another weapon system to fire at them with since the rule stated the firing unit cannot pick another unit to shoot at, but nothing about picking a different weapon. That seems wrong to me, I think it goes

Declare weapon choice > check range > spiders can jump > check range > resolve attack

not

Declare weapon choice > check range > spiders can jump > declare weapon choice > check range > resolve attack

Thoughts?

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Interesting. Since he didn't shoot anything before you moved, I'd say it's open to interpretation.

Can you quote the Warp Spider rule for me?

*edit*

I found it:

Flickerjump: When a unit with this special rule is chosen as the target of a shooting attack, it can immediately make a Warp Jump (pg 154), moving 2D6" instead of 6+2D6", so long as it is not Falling Back. The firing unit cannot choose a different target, even if the target unit now out of line of sight. A unit that makes a Warp jump in this way cannot make a Warp Jump in its following movement phase.
And the Obliterator rule:

Obliterator Weapons: In each of your Shooting phases, you must choose what weapon the Obliterators in the unit will fire from the following list: (lists weapons). Every Obliterator in the unit must fire the same weapon. An Obliterator unit cannot choose to fire the same weapon in two of your consecutive Shooting phases.
And the Shooting Phase:

1. Nominate Unit to Shoot.

2. Nominate Shooting Target.

3. Select a Weapon.
To be honest I think your opponent has it right. All he did was declare your unit as a target, he didn't make any attacks and is still free to choose between his weapons.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it made sense to me, unless you argue you have to pick your weapon at the beginning of the shooting phase and since he had already picked the assault cannon he can't switch midway

gah stupid gw rules :p

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
I think that's correct. Because you can't choose to shoot a weapon at a unit which is out of range. You measure first.

Interestingly, the warp spider rule doesn't say you can't choose another target if they are out of range only LOS, though that is implied.

Some units have more than 1 weapon. If the warp spiders jumped out of range of some, those still in range could fire.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hmmmn, yeah. I think they're right. Now, the 'movie' aspect of the game was ruined by your opponent claiming he was firing his assault cannon. But once they flickered away, he was allow to morph a new weapon.
Hopefully it was less effective!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts