Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys I have finally taken the plunge and bought my very first wargame miniatures. As i am a long term browser of these forums I thought it would be ideal to post my progress from complete newbie to (hopefully) seasoned painter/ modeller.

So i Present to you my Chaos space marine Warhost the Warp Screamers. I am Currently working out the fluff behind them so I will add this once im happy with it.

Cultist:

Chosen Chaos Space Marine:

I would really appreciate some feedback and criticism of my painting. The camera appears to have played funny with my colours, the green is not that bright on the highlighted areas.

:victory:

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forums.

As for the models, that's not a bad start there. The green and purple go well together, and everything seems neat and tidy. Get your hands on some washes though. They can take any painter up a notch or two. I think a wash of Athonian camoshade on the green, then highlighted with the base colour would give it more depth. There is a purple wash as well that could help. Hope this helps.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
I like that combination of colours. Never would have thought of using that myself but it really works. Take Khorne's advice and get familiar with the washes, they are your friend.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow thanks for the positive comments I was really apprehensive about putting up pics after seeing some of the work here.

The green and purple is a combo i've always thought would work well.

I have used a Thraka green wash for the green and a Leviathan purple wash for the purple as well as a Badab black wash for the cloak and metal.

The camera on my I phone doesn't seem to do this justice though =).

Next on the agenda is finishing Cultists and Chosen then on to Chaos lord and the Hell Brute. I will post Pics of the Completed squads.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and keep the pics coming, the cultist is not bad at all!
Another suggestion i can give is to thin your paint :)

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
If you can take the pics in as natural light as possible it can help show us how the colours look in reality. Flashes or artificial light can give a deceiving look, either bleaching the colours or exaggerating them. I'm sure you have the same good weather in Limerick as the rest of us in the country have at the moment. Make the most of it and get some pics taken in the back garden.:victory:

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
By the way Neferhet long time admirer of your Legion =)
well, thank you :)
how (when) do you plan to paint the helbrute? same scheme of the chosen?
i haven't primed mine yet...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ok apologies for the slow posting guys i appear to paint like a snail! I'm sure it will get easier the more experienced i get. I have just finished my second cultist and I mus say i'm really happy with how he turned out. I feel like I have improved since my first 2 models. Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
72 Posts
GO GO NEWB POWER!
Your paint is outstanding for just starting out, you will go far with your ability.
I LOVE the Green/purple. I have to try that out on something and see for myself in person.
Yes thinning the paint will help, That is mostly what I am practicing as well with my painting and It makes a huge difference in the finish. I would love to see you try some basic green lightning on the bases... could be fun I think.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Your second cultist is certainly an improvement over the first, by the looks of it you've made the recesses of the cultists skin quite a bit darker, which certainly gives it more depth and looks a whole lot better.

I'd recommend trying to do a bit more to the base, even just gluing some sand on and painting is a basic brown and beige can add a whole lot more to the model than the flat green you've got going on at the moment.

If you want to take some better photos then a pretty simple way to do so is to just stick some sheets of white paper up behind the model so that it gives a plain background and that way you don't have the stuff behind the model to distract you when looking at it.

Overall, good work and keep painting :eek:k:

EDIT: I just noticed that on your first cultist you actually have based the model, so presumably you just haven't gotten around to it on this one. Personally I would recommend that you paint the rim of the base either brown or just leave it black; you generally don't want people to look at that part of the model, so it makes sense to paint it a very plain colour.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ah never even thought of painting it a neutral colour wombat_tree. This is a fine idea and I think i shall paint it maybe grey or black.

On this cultist i used a bronzed flesh base colour, then washed with ogryn flesh wash and finally 2 coats of highlights of a 50:50 bronzed flesh/ skull white mix. It really seems to have added some depth to the skin.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts