Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You read that right. Someone was dumb/crazy enough to embark on building a tier 1 pVlad list at 35 points. Basically, that means a helluva lot of big stompy robots that are prone to malfunctioning by...blowing up! And I think that that is awesome.

Without further ado, here's the list I decided to go with:

Vlad
-war dog
-5x berserker
-Drago
Koldun lord
Min. Battle mechaniks
-battle mechanik UA

So...yes. 180+ damage boxes. I am under no illusions that this is not a particularly competitive list, but I just want to see people's faces when I put this lot on the table. That, and I got a pretty good deal on. The berserkers, so I had to give it a shot. With that out of the way, I also wanted to make sure that the list looks good. The thought of 6 berserkers in their stock pose fills me with dread, and converting them up will give me a chance to let out some of my deep-rooted hatred of Cygnar...stupid electric swans...

As I ended up waiting a couple of months for all the stuff to arrive, I cobbled together a little list of the conversions I wanted to do, to make sure. I was actually following some sort of plan (mainly to keep me from getting sidetracked by other projects I have in mind; at least until I finish this one). Speaking of plans, here it is:

-Vlad kitbash with Vinter

-Regular war dog (or cyber-dog with cables in some places showing through skin?

-Field mechaniks with kromlech gas mask heads (except maelee)
-->unit attachment kitbash with bombshell
Standing on some cygnaran bitz?

-Koldun lord as-is (or maybe also gas mask???)

'Zerker 1:
Basicks base, with random plasticard/putty to make it suit pose
-->also with an ironclad arm, cables/ wires coming from it
Standard weapons
1-2 extra armour plates on chassis

'Zerker 2:
eBay base
Cygnar heavy head with cables from neck wrapped around one fist
Reposed arm? Fill original hole, remove arm hydraulics, and replace with brass rod + drill new holes in shoulder
Add railroad track ( I beam) to base
Extra cables (eg: boiler to legs)
Chain-wrapped fists

'Zerker 3:
eBay base
Ironclad torso on base, mangled up and surrounded by bricks (with broken hip joint)
Wielding ironclad leg in one arm, cables/ wiring hanging out
1-2 extra plates on chassis? 1 extra plate on a fist?
Both arms reposed.
Fist spikes

'Zerker 4:
eBay base
Standing on wrecked lancer, which has its own spear impaled into it's chest
Lancer shield attached as a "vambrace", using chain
Small metal plate over eye, ala drago

'Zerker 5:
Basicks base
Hella extra armour, and cogs, etc
Lots of extra cables, as though unstable boiler.
Stepping over/through rubble of a brick wall
Cyclone gun hacked apart on base
Fist spikes
Reposed arm, as though punching?

-Drago:
Custom base
Minimal mods, maybe 1 extra plate, and 1-2 cables
Mangled cygnaran infantry on base?!

Excuse my shorthand- my method of taking notes for myself may be a bit odd, but should hopefully become clear once I get to work.

Wish me luck on this project guys, I have a feeling my hands will be mangled from working on all these metal 'jacks.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now, I know you guys like to have some pretty pictures, so here's a few of the damage I did to my wallet:

And so it begins...

That looks like a lot of metal

And it is! At this point, I did begin to question my sanity. Too late to back out now!
(And a random Leona Lobo mini, because she looks good and I wanted one :p )

Oh, and a shout-out to my "friendly" local Cygnar player for his contribution!

Those bits will look even better once their being stomped on by Khadoran armour.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyway, onto the actual converting bit!

After cleaning up the first breserker, I started to mess around with the pose (nothing's been glued yet!)

Simply filed off the bump on his foot that fit the slotta tab, and removed that tab altogether. Then it was a simple matter of slowly bending his ankle to make a slightly less silly pose.

Measure twice, cut once... (Or blutac twice, glue once!)

I added some guitar wire and greenstuff tubes to the ironclad arm and base, to give it some more flavour- i ordered two such resin bases, and I want to make sure they don't look TOO similar :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

And some bricks for flavour and variety. But mostly because they arrived that day and I wanted to use some.

I then added some tubing to the right arm. The concept here is that there will be a bunch of field repairs and such present on the 'jacks, to make it seem like the mechaniks in the backfield have had to improvise repairs at times.

And speaking of field repairs, I thought that some extra tubing on the boiler would help represent their unstable nature.

(Oh! And the gashes made into some of the metal plates were made by pressing down on the pieces with the blade of my swiss army knife- don't try to use an X-acto!)

And that's about as far as I got so far! I am thinking about what to do with the shoulder pads, as I am planning to maybe replace one of them with a plate of plasticard to represent some extra armour plates welded onto the poor guy.

What do you think so far? Any opinions on the other planned conversions? Any suggestions for how to make the army have an even more brutal, gritty feel to it?

More to come (hopefully soon, uni timetable permitting!)

P.S: my next project after this will most likely be to get a space marine strikeforce box and kit it out completely, using a lot of the techniques I'm trying here :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aaand the first one is assembled!

He went together quite smoothly; I'd say the initial removing of the mould lines was the biggest pain of the whole process!
P.S: the new "armour plates" still meed some rivets on them, so I'm not COMPLETELY done yet. I made the smaller one to look like it was a quick-fix to protect the big gash this guy received to his armour. How does it look? I'm thinking about using a lighter to heat a needle and use it to "blend" the edges to the rest of the body a little more.

And another to show off the side view

And a frontal view, on which. I just realized how weird his foot looks...but it makes sense with the pose. Eh, I think I might revisit it at some point though, as it should be quite easy to repose.

@PG_Smedley: I used a tool from Greenstuffworld. Let me put it this way, those were the first the first tubes/cables I ever made with the kit, and they came out awesome- very user friendly! Here's a link to one of their vides where they show the simpler things it cane be used for: http://youtu.be/InIiFlWarrY

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! I'm really glad to have so much support from you all; it'll definitely help keep me motivated!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, and a sneak preview of some of the goodies I grabbed for the painting of these bad boys:

Anyone have any experience with these two? I've heard good things, but any tips on their use would be very welcome!

I also got a full set of the new GW technical paints, which I have not had a chance to use yet! So they will definitely be making an appearance on the painting table :)

A final question for you guys- do you think I should use some of this camo netting on them?

I was thinking about making one that was trying to be "stealthy"...because...well because I thought it might look funny! Is it just me though, or do you think there may be something to my madness?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a small update; I've been messing around with ideas for the pose of 'zerker #5:

I'm trying to keep the need to chop up the legs at a minimum for now, so that I can get at least 2-3 of these guys assembled in a somewhat timely manner. I am not looking forward to resculpting the bits that will get damaged by hacking things off- but I have to master my jeweller's saw!

And a couple more shots of the current pose idea. Thoughts?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts