Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
2nd edition uses (roughly) the same ruleset as the 40k RPGs - rolling 2D10 to get a percentile to test against skills etc. Don't think you can order the book new any more, but plenty of games stores will probably still have it in stock (or go hunt on ebay). It's still for sale as a pdf on rpg drive thru as well.

The new 3rd edition uses various custom action dice to resolve things - it looks interesting, but haven't felt like dropping the £75 for the starter set to try it out yet. Anyone else had a go of the new version?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
If you can get a copy of it the original WHFRPG is a whole heap better. The rulebook is similar in size to the new WHFB book, has tonnes of background, hundreds of creatures that litter the old world and a tonne of different career classes.

I'd happily still play this now as the rules cover everything and imo, it looks better than the newer versions.

Edit: When I say original, I mean the early 90's version by GW itself.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I heard the original edition was broken. Full of naked dwarf syndrome and untouchable elves.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Nah man, it worked fine (thankfully no naked dwarfs from what I recall! ;-)).

Top game that though, must have spent years playing it. Plenty of scope for decent questing as it gave you some hefty fluff :)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
naked dwarf syndrome. Basically, when a character with a high toughness (typically a dwarf) can absorb more damage with is toughness alone (hence the "naked" part) than an average guy in full plate. It's usually considered a bad thing, hence the "syndrome" part.

Also, I don't care about the fluff. I'd rather create my own worlds. Sure, It's good inspiration. But there's nothing that forces me to use the Old World for a WFRP campaign, I could also use the engine on Eberron, Planescape, Forgotten Realms, Or the 41st millenium for that matter.

(This is why I never buy more than the core rulebook). And perhaps the manual of arms. And rule expansions. But never a campaign setting. The latter, I will read it at the store than put it back on the shelves =P.

Also, I have found that combats, at least at low level, is rather boring in WFRP 2nd edition. We usually avoided fights, not because they were dangerous, rather because they bored us as hell as players.

Any tips on how to GM fights scenes effectively using WFRP 2nd edition ?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Ah yeah, r kid had a human that was pretty much invincible. You can get around it though, plot the game around either super hard villains (it defeats the game fighting thugs with a hard as nails pally or something ;-)), or, have a plot item that will lower the toughness, maybe he gets poisoned, maybe something happens to weaken him.

The rules are there to base it on, it's the tweaking that makes it fun :)

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?p=706212&posted=1#post706212

See the above in your other thread for the fighting bit :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts