Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to do this in segments since I do not have time so first off is the Tyranids.

Some of the names are to bastardized for me to translate them back to latin then to english.

Norn Queen(a.k.a Tyranicus Primogenitor)/Tyrannos Praecursor Defintion Tyrant Forerunner

Hive Tyrant For some reason is nearly the same exact defintion of the Norn Queen

Tyranid Warrior/ Tyrannos Gladius Defintion Tyrant Sword

Hormagaunt ( Gauntii gladius) Defintion Gaunt Sword

Carnifex Defintion Executioner

Zoanthrope (Tyranicus Animus Aborrens) Defintion Tyrant spirit

more coming tomorrow

·
Registered
924 Posts
manually I am taking latin for my 3rd year Im a high schooler
I did that; far better than learning the bastardized children of Latin.

·
Registered
74 Posts
manually I am taking latin for my 3rd year Im a high schooler
Thats cool. I wish my highschool offered Latin. Though I am taking "Introduction to Latin" in my college course right now. So far I named my Iron Warriors Company "Animus Ferrumae" (Hopefully I named it right) :grin:

·
Registered
252 Posts
I had my son (who is somewhat proficient in Latin) on hand when I was reading Mechanicum to translate the names of the Titans featured in it. They were all pretty cool but I think in some cases the words were more a pseudo-latin than any grammatically or syntactically correct Latin.

·
Unforgiven
689 Posts
That's 'cause High Gothic = Basterdized Latin-English Mix

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ahh, i did latin for 5 years however it's funny just how much you can forget in such a short space of time. The etymology of many gothic words do have greek or roman roots, but then again so does most European languages. What i think is far more interesting is the visual derivations, e.g. feudal Japan and eldar, space marines and Julius Caesar

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Ok time for part two Im going to to the inquistors so while typing these would be considered studying for the test:biggrin:

Callidus Assassin Definition Clever Assassin

Vindicare Assassin Definition avenge or avenging assassin

Ordo Malleus Definition Row Hammer

Animus speculam Defintion Spirit Spectacle

Animus Speculam was one of the bastardized phrases so Spectacle could either be watch or show so you decide

more inc tomorrow

·
Registered
674 Posts
Can someone provide some pseudo-latin or latin that fits Blood Raven/Ordo Malleus scripture? Sort of thing you'd see on texts or painted onto vehicle sides to inspire the men.

Better yet, a speech from the book of armaments. :p

·
Registered
74 Posts
Animus speculam Defintion Spirit Spectacle
Animus Speculam was one of the bastardized phrases so Spectacle could either be watch or show so you decide
I quickly use google to know what the "animus speculam" is, but results show its spelled "speculum" (for ex Lexicanum). Cuase if its spelled speculum it means mirror. So I guess Spirit Mirror could also work.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts