Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the count is in, 40k inspired video games have sold over 6 million units from the time THQ acquired the license in 2001. Great news for us, as THQ is investing heavily into the 40k franchise and has hopes it'll continue to do great.

Article link below:
http://www.gametab.com/news/3453381/

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
Great news! It is always fun to hear that 40k games sell well!

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
they can invest all they want, there games are still wank compared to chaos gate.

also 6 million still means its less popular than even pacman at 7 million, and the first super mario on the snes at over 40 million.

jesus even nintendogs has sold more.

so its not that impressive considering crap like nintendogs has sold more and 6 million as an entire franchise not a single game actually is pretty meh.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they can invest all they want, there games are still wank compared to chaos gate.

also 6 million still means its less popular than even pacman at 7 million, and the first super mario on the snes at over 40 million.

jesus even nintendogs has sold more.

so its not that impressive considering crap like nintendogs has sold more and 6 million as an entire franchise not a single game actually is pretty meh.
Sadly blockbuster games seem to make people think that 6 million units sold is a small number.

Personally I think Madden is a crap game and not worth the time but it is in the top 5 games sold every single year. As for Nintendogs, you're talking about a game that marketed to children on a portable system. Most familes that hav a DS have 1 unit per child, with one game per child. I would call that number of 7 million stacked rather then impressive.

Mario on the SNES selling 40 million is easy to understand, as the game came with the system if I remember right when it released in North America, and was one of two games available when launched in Japan. While I would never take away how great the game was, the number is once again stacked.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Halo reach blew it out of the water two days ago. It isn't something to write home about.

·
Registered
81 Posts
While yes it is a comparatively small number and it is for a group of games as opposed to one. As long as they're turning a profit then I don't think there's anything bad going on here.

40k games are going to be niche market games. So 6 million is a lot. It's likely more than there are 40k players. And I didn't even buy Squad Command so somebody out there had to pick up my share.

There were more than a few people who got into 40k because of Dawn of War. The games are doing exactly what they were designed to do. They're making money and also luring people to the game which makes more money.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Does everyone forget the ABOMINATION that was FireWarrior?! :laugh:
That was dogshit that was eaten and then shit out again!

I had Space Hulk for Sega Genesis and that was awesome!!!

PS: Reach........buy it

·
Registered
445 Posts
Another thing about the 6 million units: you have to compare apples to apples. Console games sell better than PC games, and FPS sells better than strategy (or whatever you want to call DoW II - it's not exactly strategy but it's not exactly anything else either). That said, Chaos Gate was great for its time, though I was sufficiently bad at it that I eventually hit missions where I didn't have as many marines as you were allowed to take for the mission.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I too think its a sad # for a collection of games. Strangely i think the # should be higher cause I know ALOT of military that are all over the world that has bought the games. Its sold in Military specific stores as well as Wal-Mart, Game Stores, ect. Huh.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
While yes it is a comparatively small number and it is for a group of games as opposed to one. As long as they're turning a profit then I don't think there's anything bad going on here.

40k games are going to be niche market games. So 6 million is a lot. It's likely more than there are 40k players. And I didn't even buy Squad Command so somebody out there had to pick up my share.

There were more than a few people who got into 40k because of Dawn of War. The games are doing exactly what they were designed to do. They're making money and also luring people to the game which makes more money.
This is the point. All these side projects for 40k, pc games, movies are created for exactly this reason. Dawn of war returned me to 40k after being away for 13 years. I have since spent over $8000 on the hobby. So where did they make their money? Also dawn of war, as a 40k hobbyist it would not have lasted as long on my pc if it was just a generic rts. I like it so much that i am buying a second copy of soulstorm because some asshat stole my first one. Bottom line, niche market, look at the bigger picture.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Halo reach blew it out of the water two days ago. It isn't something to write home about.
Compairing a blockbuster release to a game based off a niche market is kinda foolish. Sure I think we'd all like to see "They've sold 40 Million units!!!!" but thats just not realistic.

I think mahavira said it best in his post

Another thing about the 6 million units: you have to compare apples to apples. Console games sell better than PC games, and FPS sells better than strategy (or whatever you want to call DoW II - it's not exactly strategy but it's not exactly anything else either). That said, Chaos Gate was great for its time, though I was sufficiently bad at it that I eventually hit missions where I didn't have as many marines as you were allowed to take for the mission.
Games such as Halo, CoD, and Medal of Honor get a huge amount of marketing to push game sales, while titles like Dawn of War are only advertised in Gameing Mags and by word of mouth. Based off that, I'd call 6 million copies of a franchise pretty good.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
A game is a game. Profit is profit. I remain unimpressed. When it gets anywhere near the top level RTS franchises I will be impressed. Lack of a good marketing department isn't a good excuse for less than super sales, ok sales, but not great.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
Does everyone forget the ABOMINATION that was FireWarrior?! :laugh:
That was dogshit that was eaten and then shit out again!

PS: Reach........buy it
Firewarrior was a good game! I cant understand what everyone is complaining about...

And yes, buy Reach...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Fire Warrior was dire because:

1. the general pace of the game was crap, you moved too slowly and the baddies were too slow to react, and were way too predictable.

2. The AI was utter [email protected]! Rewind several years back and Half Life came out: the baddies (sort of) worked in teams and at least made some effort to stay alive. rewind back even further and you get Quake II. Yes, the AI was completely random but they were at least capable of adjusting their aim so simply circling around them didn't work, and they moved quickly enough that killing them was at least vaguely challenging and entertaining.

Fire Warrior baddies do none of these, and it seems to take too much effort to kill even basic baddies as it feels like you're trying to kill them with BB guns. The end result of all of this was a tedious game that required a sh!t hot computer to run properly. When you consider the gameplay of titles like DOOM (the original), Quake II and Half Life which were made several years before it, this really does suck. The only good thing about it was the Rail rifle that was introduced to 40k.

The Graphics were OK, but the detail was pretty piss poor for a game of that age, especially when you consider how greedy the PC game is.

Fire Warrior was the most expensive beer mat I've ever bought!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts