Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking of building a table, at the moment we just use an old square dining table but it's pretty busted and I'd really like something that is more suited for tabletop gaming.

I'm sure a few people on this forum have built a table of their own, it'd be great if you could share your experiences and a little advice.

Any appropriate links would also be appreciated.

I know this topic has probably come up on here before but I seem to be having some issues with the search function at the moment.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Go to a lumber yard and find yourself a good piece of plywood and 24 feet (2 12ft) pieces of 2x4 and 10 ft of 4x4.

Cut the 2x4 and nail them together to create a box (2 x 3'8" 2 x 7'8") Once you have this built you will want to cut 4 x 2'6" pieces of 4x4 and bolt/nail them to the inside corners. Next place plywood on top. You can also add legs in the middle for more stability or make the box smaller 3'8" by 6' as an example.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Yup... I have made one very similarly to Djinn's instructions. I altered the design a bit so that the table has smaller 1x2s on the underside that form a box just larger than a small table we have in the house. The gaming table slots onto this smaller table, giving us a 4x6 playing surface, which we then textured and flocked to make a scrub-land bordering a rough wooded area. The table is still flat, but we have made several hills, woods, cliffs, rocks, dwellings, holy icons, etc., to fill up the table completely. The terrain and table can be mixed to make great scenes for 40K or WHFB, and we (my son an I) texture our model bases to match the different textures of the table.

Next time I have my camera out, I'll be sure to take some snapshots of what we have thus far...

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great, I'd love to see what you've done.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
do create hills on the board..

rivers or craters are a yes... hills can be made separate and used as scenery or buildings never make anything permanent unless its a river or something

·
Banned
801 Posts
The best way is to make modular squares of about half a foot to a foot in edge length, and build terrain on those. This way you get the polish and quality of a built-on board, with more than enough modilarity to stop people from finding and exploiting a board's advantages and disadvantages.

The best way to go about it is to plan out what you want, build enough squares to fit evenly on your board, and then put one interesting feature on each square and fill the rest to suit.

Naturally, the one I'm doing now is stupidly detailed, because it'll take me a month per square to do at best. On the other hand, everybody likes a cityfight board where you can see a story in every building.

Oh, and if you want nice things, there's this stuff I found that's halfway between plaster of paris and papier mache. You can apply it to wood, cardboard and polystyrene to get a satisfyingly realistic concrete effect. It is obviously unimaginably useful because it negates all of the disadvantages of polystyrene, namely the ugly texture and the melting under spraypaint, gives it an excellent heavy-duty look, and gives you access to all those fantastic polystyrene shapes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts