Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Posted on Warseer last week:

hey folks, just dropping in to say Ive seen WIP on a WOTR starter box to replace mines of moria. The contents are going to be made up of men of Minas Tirith and Orcs. No confirmation on what is in the box HOWEVER in have seen new Wargs that are bigger then the current ones.

Take with a pinch of salt if you must
So apparently there's a rumor floating about for a new starter set for everyone's favorite system: War of the Ring. The rumor states it will be Gondor vs Mordor, and may have new Wargs/(Riders?), but other than that, it's alarmingly vague.

The rumour states it could be scheduled for release later this year. I would have thought this would mean that we'd have heard something about it by now unlessthey've tried to keep things quiet with this but either way, Harry has backed it up that it's possible so I'll be doing the same as he's another good with getting Rumours correct.

It makes sense though, I would have expected one back in the release, but there wasn't for some reason.

Thoughts? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

· Premium Member
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's true, War of the Ring really is an inferior system and really does need redoing. But we all know that's not going to happen so I'll just stick to SBG.

And the starter set rumours really appeal to me for the same reason Stella pointed out... lots of models. If it's true I would guess it'll be £60 for two small forces. Which is fine by me just as an expansion to my current armies.

· Premium Member
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I could see this happening. Last Saturday at the local GW they had received directives that the WOTR display board/introduction game that they HAD to use Mordor and Gondor forces. Could just be a coincidence since all the easterlings used had to be replaced by orcs.
I've heard the same has happened in most GW stores (including the one near me I believe).

· Premium Member
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The thing is they ARE making profit from War of the Ring, I don't know how but it's making them plenty. The reason they made it was to gain more interest in the LotR part of the hobby as they were starting to lose money, but if they'd taken the time it took them to make WotR and worked on a new edition of the SBG with new miniatures and actually focussed on improving the good system they already had, they'd have done fine.

But I'm biassed because I'm a big fan if the Strategy Battle game and GW have pretty much had their middle fingers stuck up at SBG gamers since the release of WotR.

But moving back to the original topic, it would still be nice to see a WotR starter set (hooray for new minis) and it's something they should've done a while ago.

· Premium Member
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
A quater? I'm very surprised. Lord of the Rings -I originally thought- was something that would hook the innocent in with, those who would generally fanboy over the films, before they were fed into the machine that is 40k.
Well even if the LotR games were just to get the Tolkein/LotR fanboys hooked on the hobby, there are thousands more Tolkein fanboys than us wargamers so even if a small amount of them got into the game, it'd still contribute a lot of sales. Probably why LotR makes more money than most people in the hobby think.

Surely general Hobby tools: Overpriced paints etc would earn a large portion of GW earnings?
Which is why he said ot including all of those products :wink:

· Premium Member
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
I think Wotr really really needs a starter set. I actually really like the game, but yes i agree that there are "a few" holes in the system that could do with tightening up.

also i've had the black handled clippers since they came out and never had any problems. I do a fair bit of building. prehaps it was a batch fault. Gw dont want product that falls apart they want to be known as the best in the business when it comes to quality. if a product falls apart and doesn't do what it should, gw will do whatever they can to sort it out. if you bought them back they would swap them straight away. last week in gw 2 electricians came into the store specifically to buy clippers because they wanted them for trimming cable ties. They said that everyone in the industry said the gw ones were the best and that they were better than some make i'd never heard of that are £20.
Could've been a batch thing, mine have always been fine but I have seen one pair shatter.

Anyway back to War of the Ring, the flaws with it could be fixed and I think maybe if they did manage to fix all the flaws it has potential to be a very good game. Untill then I think the only use I will see for a WotR starter set will be for extra minis (which alone makes me hope this rumour is true and makes me look forward to it, everybody loves cheap minis in starter sets - especially if the new Wargs rumour is correct) :) Unless someone is able to get me back into it somehow...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.