Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Love the middle one with the trolly wheels. They might not be quite hairy enough but I like them.

Will they scale right?

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
With GW sending a Seize and Desist letter to Blight Wheel Miniatures for making a miniature they drew a concept picture of back in 2005 I guess we will see Maxmini getting one from GW as well.

GW vs Blight Wheel Miniatures

It actually makes me wish that one or two of the people that they have ripped IP from would fight back, liek the guy who designed the aliens from alien, or lucas kicking off about the dark eldar raiders...but they never do.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
With GW sending a Seize and Desist letter to Blight Wheel Miniatures for making a miniature they drew a concept picture of back in 2005 I guess we will see Maxmini getting one from GW as well.

Well it wasn't for you telling me that and by extension GW legal getting their panties in a twist I wouldn't know about these. And fuck I want some. GW really missed a chance with loxatl, They should have brought out some minis for them especially with the cultists being in the new dex.

·
Registered
633 Posts
It actually makes me wish that one or two of the people that they have ripped IP from would fight back, liek the guy who designed the aliens from alien, or lucas kicking off about the dark eldar raiders...but they never do.
I don't know about Giger, but Disney (who now own the Star Wars IP) could probably afford to sue the piss out of GW, if the number of similarities between the Komodo Warrior and Loxatl is enough for GW to sue the pants off Blight Wheel miniatures.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts

not likely, maximini have copied the "idea", not directly made a miniature that looks exactly like a 3d representation of GWs art work, Im not really sure why this situation keeps cropping up, GW are pretty well known for having an active legal team,you would have to be stupid to create a miniature based on anything that has more than a passing resemblance to anything in the GW IP portfolio.

Also its not ilegal for GW to borrow and idea from elsewhere and use it in there games, that is different to what blightwheel are alleged to have done, yes the DE Raider looks a bit like a Skiff/Sail Barge from RotJ, but those vehicles in turn were based on Boats (hence the names), but GW didnt copy the design of the Sail barge, they simply borrowed the idea and made there own version of it, same with the necrons, they are not copies of the terminator, they are skeletal robots, but again GW have not copied the terminator,i would even argue that they borrowed the idea as they firmly have a foot in the fantasy undead realm. As for the nids again they have borrowed the idea of the Alien and you could argue that the old nid hive tyrants head was a pretty accurate copy of the queens head from Aliens, but rumour has it that the reason the old hive tryant was resculpted so quickly was because GW were asked to by hollywood, personally i think it was just to unify the look of the army but we will never know.

Personally i cant fault GW for defending there IP, there are lots of talented sculptors out there in hobby land, making some seriously nice models, sadly there are also far too many of them trying to cash in on GWs efforts and success, the old argument used to be "well if GW cant be arsed to release it i will buy it from this dude" which i think is fair comment but it made GW look at how they release models and what they release,a few years on GW got the message and they are making sure army books and codex are released with pretty much all the models available, they have also got forgeworld to produce the Horus Heresy for those gagging to play in the 30th millennium.

As for the boars, they are pretty cool but a bit goofy looking, i do like the one with the castors at the front and the jet engine for an arse! purely for comic value

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
As Bits says, there is a huge difference between copying something and being inspired by something, a lot of GW stuff is clearly inspired by other IPs, Star Wars, Alien, Dune, Lord Of The Rings and Starship Troopers to name just a few. These stories were in turn inspired by things that came before, there's nothing wrong with being inspired.

On the other hand, if GW had released 40K with the Emperor an old guy in black robes, his second in command a big black cyborg with shiny armour and asthma, called Darth Vadera, George Lucas may have had a thing or two to say to GW.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Defending IP is expensive, but registering the designs is not. GW are doing what most big corporations do nowadays, especially with the Chinese counterfeiting everything in sight, and protecting their product range. The origin of designs matters little initially, as the IP office in Wales do very little research into design applications. Registering Intellectual Property, whether legitimate or not, is now a business tactic deployed by most major brands simply because they have the time and resources to manage registrations and legal disputes. Smaller businesses simply do not have the expertise or facilities to fight in most cases. I used to handle IP for a major pond equipment company, and its a real cash-cow, and a real headache.

Getting back on course, I found an original Cyboar listed on eBay via this link:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281101254118&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
I like those models, its that craziness and spontaneity are the reasons why if something like this makes it into the next dex I will finally make a mini ork army

1 - 13 of 13 Posts