Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

I'm thinking about trying to create my own carrying case for my Eldar army. I have a very large suitcase, that would easily fit my whole army inside. The only issue is - where would you buy the raw materials to make such a case similar to these. I want that same foam type, but I don't want to spend the ~400 bucks it would cost me to fit me entire army in one.

I live in Toronto, and my car lease is up Tuesday, but I still want to be able to get down to London, Ontario to battle with my buddies (or even bring my army up to the GW in north Toronto), but carrying the 20"x44"x6" plastic carrying case is unrealisting on the train/subway.

Any pointers on what to cut said foam with would be appreciated - I'd want as straight cut lines as possible!

Cheers.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Check out hot wire foam cutters. You have to go slow but the wand works well enough. You can bulk order foam pretty cheaply to if you look around.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I've been looking at generic home improvement stores for some (Lowe's, RONA, Home Depot) and none seem to carry any (or so their websites say). I may just man up and buy the cases from that KR Multicase company, if they fit inside my suitcase - their cases are crazy expensive!

Thanks for the heads up on the hit wire foam cutter - I used to have one of those 10 years ago, I'll pick one up again.

·
Registered
0 Posts
If you Google you can find large sheets of foam that are pretty reasonable.

KR sponsors the podcast I am on, we may have a 10 percent off code if you happen to listen and we always have contests giving cases away. Screaming Heretic podcast if you have time to burn, have not listened lately myself, to many audiobooks.

I suggest one good case for general last and a solid wood or cardboard box for storage of large battles. Not sure how late your army is but I stored all 30k points of mine buying one of two trays a week.

·
U Mad Bro?
2,777 Posts
I personally use Camera Foam. I buy anything between 2-4" thick foam and just use an exacto knife to cut out for figs, then I also purchase 1" thick pieces to glue to the bottom of the other pieces. As far as size of case... well the options of endless. You can use any carrying case you want really just make sure the total dimensions of the foam is cut to the dimensions of the case they will be put in.

I travel a lot to the U.S to play in tournaments so I have made the foam fit in a suitcase so all I do is put the foam in the suitcase, zip it up and roll it to the airport.

the cuts are not perfect but it gets the job done and generally costs me 15-30$ for a 1500-2k point army with space to spare.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
In the short term, consider using egg cartons for infantry. Free, perfectly sized for infantry models... you just have to carry the suitcase horizontally rather than let it hang vertically.

Not advice toward making a foam carry case, perhaps, but...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts