Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Must keep painting....
2,977 Posts
Well you have picked a fairly inauspicious time to start Asrai; the new rules have made them an even more awkward army to play and the upcoming armybook (in 2011 some time) will almost certainly change a lot because of this.

That said, they are a great army in my opinion and are pretty unique compared to the other armies about. I would avoid an all cavalry list for now as you will find it very hard to win and the wild riders aren't exactly cheap. Personally I would pick models you like or models that work ok and are relatively cheap. Lessen the blow if changes force you to re-organise your armylist.

GG are good, so are dryads; most of the metal models are likely to be slated for new models sooner or later (particularly the plastic/metal combos) across all of the ranges, but the Asrai particularly so. A lot of the metal models are very old, some weathering that timeframe better than others (waywatchers are looking good for their age where as treekin are almost universally disliked). A new book wil always bring releases too.

In essence, if you can hold off before blowing lots of moolah then do, but if you want to buy models pick what you like/is plastic/functions reasonably well and is likely to remain a 'core' part of the armybook (i.e. stuff like dryads and gg that are unlikely to be removed from play anytime soon).

·
Must keep painting....
2,977 Posts
Well I do think you are fairly safe with any of the newer plastics, you can make a reasonable fun list based around the battalion for example and be pretty sure they will feature strongly in the next armybook. Just be wary of investing in a big way, particularly in older models before we know more of what is to come.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts