Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, have enjoyed reading the Warhammer fiction for about a year now especially Gotrek and Felix and Malus Darkblade, but would now like to jump into 40k fiction.

But where to start?

Is there a particular book or series that will be a good introduction to the world so that I can learn what is going on and not be too confused? Thanks. :victory:

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
If you already have a basic concept of the 40k universe (which I presume you do if you've been into WHFB) I would start with the Horus Heresy series. Horus Rising is a great book and really kick starts the series. It also gives you a better understanding of 40k's main protagonists, the Astartes.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Another good one to start with is the Gaunts Ghosts series. Just the right mix of badass soldiery and good character dynamics.

Horus Heresy is also good, although it's more Warhammer 30,000 :p Still, a pretty awesome series.
Adding onto this; I would say that the Eisenhorn Trilogy is probably the most suitable, with Gaunt`s Ghosts Omnibus` and Horus Heresy, with the several other series, such as the Salamander and, although only a single-book long thus far, the Night Lords (Soul Hunter) is very informative...

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Well for a beginner i'd recommend the Ultramarines series by Graham McNeill, a very good introduction to Space Marines.

Gaunt's Ghosts and Ciaphas Cain are good for starters as well. However i'd go for the Ultramarines omnibus for a good starting 40k book.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Chronologically, wouldn't Horus Heresy be (one of the) earliest in 40K?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Chronologically, wouldn't Horus Heresy be (one of the) earliest in 40K?
Yes. I would say start with the Ultramarines / Grey Knights Omnibus and also Eisenhorn. Maybe pick up Let The Galaxy Burn for some short stories.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Space wolf by bill king. It's what I tell most people unfamilar with 40k to start with. You don't have to read all 6 ragnar books. Just the first one, it's a great intro to the universe.

·
Registered
150 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
The great thing about Eisenhorn as well is that it would, with a few cosmetic alterations, stand on its own outside of 40k - and probably be very successful to boot. I think the other attraction is the fact that it's an adventure, rather than your standard bolter and chainswords affair - there's intrigue and intergalactic detective work and a huge range of worlds and cultures. Fantastic, I can't give it enough praise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts