Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ive decided to finally paint my wood elfs with the new release next week but I cant decide on a scheme yet, I want to mainly base my army around tree spirits with some archers thrown into the mix, I was thinking a autum theme with browns and oranges, but I like orion king of the wood and would like to add him to the army but if I remember his fluff dosent he sleep during this season( not got any wood elf fluff to go by tho)

ok so bases I want a woodland bases any ideas how to make effective fallen leafs or any model supplys to make the effect?

cheers for the help in advance

·
Registered
43 Posts
It sounds like your going for a natural aesthetic to the army. as for the autumn them i would suggest having your miniatures paint schemes to contrast to the bases but using some of those oranges and reds as spot colours on them.

I have indeed thought of a similar idea myself and i would of planned to try and keep all the colours in a pastel tone and stray away from anything being too vivid a colour, this way you can contrast the colours between your elves and there bases while still having coherency.

Further to the point i would try and keep the level of contrast on the miniatures uniform, for instance if one part of the miniature the shade is extremly dark and the highlights are very light, then try keep that same level of contrast on everything, this should add to a melding of the miniatures with there bases. Although i would consider going for a low contrast between light and dark and concentrate more on a contrast of colour, so rather than just using a dark colour to shade something instead use a different colour thats maybe a tin bit darker.

As for basing materials i would look at woodland scenics, as they have a large range of good materials. also i would look at Basecrafts they sell woodland scenics materials but in thematic collections including an autumn set.

Sorry for waffling on i can do that when i talk about painting. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
SO while these are clearly display miniature and not practical for actualy gaming a lot of this guy's stuff is easy to transfer onto something more practical, try actually using plant roots and twigs on bases to make it look like they are in a forest, possibly more of an idea for characters, also try looking at some of this guy's other basing tutorials, for instance there is one on using actual dirt. :tutorial 1
Tutorial 2

·
Registered
217 Posts
the wife started an WE army a little while back and was wanting to do winter/snow...

for her dryads she did a aspen tree look and then used purples and silvers for the elves

shes asked me to turn the great eagles into owls when she finally gets around to them as well

while this isn't for everybody it's definitely something that's not done often

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts