Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know if I should deep strike or walk my terminators up anymore, I have been teleporting in with heavy flammer, powerfist but my unit of usually gets squished before I can even assualt the next turn. On the other hand if I walk them up with a reaper autocannon I dont think they will be able to much damage. I dont have enough points for anymore termies just so you know. any thoughts?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Its a dilemma suffered by me all the time. I go with deep strike out of principle but as you say you get down on the field and the (still sucks) twinlinked bolter fire + heavy flamer just dont cut it. On firing the chaos terminators never were anything special, when you compare them to the rules for SM terminators, they are practically tame. They only really excel in CC. I give mine either an icon of khorne, slannesh or nurgle, to make them hard as sin. I get a squads with rhinos and give them icons to act as teleport homers for them and deep strike my termies in when they are close to the enemy. If the rhino still lives i use it as cover.

While enemies should fear terminators they are also burdened with a harsh desire to kill them as much as humanly and non humanly possible. Walking termies up the field is a good way to get them killed really fast. Give em a land raider and they are basically driving around on a box of matches and lighter fluid that'll explode the second that anyone (tau or the eldar especially) look at it funny. It is a good tactic however if you want a big target for your enemy to fire blindly at while they ignore the rest of your army. If that is the case though there are much better/cheaper meatshield units (see Possessed, Spawn, Raptors) for your enemy to gun down.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
It really does depend on the army/situation....

Very fast armies usually tend to have less firepower and are generally more vulnerable to having a unit of Termies behind their lines.

Static forces are a bit more difficult, as the Deepstriking Termies can usually do a TON of damage with a Heavy Flamer and some bolter luvin', but will usually not survive the return fire. You really have to make a judgement call, here. Often, especially in scenarios such as Recon where having scoring units in certain areas can win the game, Deepstriking a unit of Termies with an Assault Cannon or Reaper Autocannon is not such a bad idea.... You may be able to place them where they will receive minimal return fire, but can make a difference with their own weaponry.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
walk them the past 3 games i've used my terminators and deep striked them they have got raped by AP1 bolter fire, 2 wraithlord shooting and an exersist

·
Registered
275 Posts
i have never walked mine (in my terminator army) but it depends who you are playing i think orks and nids oviously set them up

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well ive managed to work it out and now if im facing a particular army where I will have to deep strike I can and if I need to walk then ive got a configuration for that to. Ive used magnets and in both cases the points values are the same so there is no change to my list.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I do both. I play DA so I have deathwing assault which puts me at like 30" to start off a homer. From there you're in a pretty good place to lay down fire while the rest of your force comes up. Only problem is you're basically alone out there.

I grew tired of teleporting in Assault Termies and getting my ass handed to me, so I don't recommend it.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
im going to buy myself another landraider crusaider and some termis with a leader in termi armour and powerclaws

·
Registered
53 Posts
I personally hate deepstrike. Never worth it to me, just makes your units all in rapid fire range next turn. Only way I can see it being good is if you have 2 ass cannons, put em in some terrain near the enemy, and hope to god whatever charging you doesnt have grenades.

~dan

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Awesome idea, but dangerous when you put ~600 points in one place.
true but how else do i get them to the front without deepstriking...im space wolves they dont like teleport / pods. so little choice

blood angels super charged engines, would be nice.

new wolfy codex

power of the wulfen

corrupted genetic geneseed in terminators allows them to run in the shooting phase..... oh please

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
i always deepstrike, but then again i have 30 terminators. 2 squads of 10 shooting ones with 2 ass cannons each and a squad of 10 cc termies all with thunder hammers :D KICK ASS!!! theres just far too many of them to kill every single one in a single turn, and if ones squad gets assaulted, the next turn theres 2 squad behind them to back them up :D gota love it. then theres the drop-podding Ven Dread :biggrin:

i have a mate who plays SW and he uses drop-pods extensively, the SW love them!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
i cant drop pod my tanks then ... all units in space wolves army have to drop pod and not every unit can drop pod ... ;-(

·
Banned
135 Posts
Maybe the problem is that they don't have enough other units to deepstrike or walk up with them? I think either strategy could fail if it is done piecemeal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts