Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Space marines ( 13th Legion/ Ultramarines chapter), tyranids, Drukhari, Custodes, SoS,
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Little question form a fellow servant of the God Emperor:

I was planning a list for a game me and a mate will play for his birthday at warhammer world this coming friday, and my partner comes out with this little comment: 'you geek-plotting honey?'

For those of you lucky enough to have wives/ gf/ bf/ fiancees/ bromances/ etc who are also involved in the hobby this probably won't affect you (lucky lol)

For the rest of you with spouses/ partners who do not get involved in the hoby, do they ever tell you something that makes you want to 'face-palm' at their lack of intellect of the game, or genuine indifference to it? :headbutt:

Let us all know these little nuggets of Tzeentch- raging comments that will leave even the 'Greater Good' Tau turning to Khorne to wipe them from existence... or just sigh in acceptance, and apologising to the God- Emperor for their lack of understanding lol

Happy Gaming!:victory:

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
My Mrs isn't really all that arsed about Bolt Action or X-Wing.
And definitely not 40k or Fantasy.

I have managed to get her attention by picking up the Star Trek version of X-Wing..... :good:

·
Registered
773 Posts
My one is normally a friend comes over with his sisters kids (who he has started up with the game as well) and she will loudly yawn away in the corner of the room and chuckle at how involved I get in rules and army planning, or how intense I can be when rules lawyering. My normal reply to this is "I watch things you want to watch that I don't like. But at least you have the option of leaving the room without offending me." (sitting through Hunger Games was a chore I don't want to repeat) and that seemed to mean we have our space when it comes to stuff like that.

·
Registered
332 Posts
My wife does not play 40k, Fantasy or any wargame but insists on seeing everything I paint, buy or plan to buy and frequently buys me kits! In fact my wife has brought a majority of my new SW models and actually persuaded me to start a High Elf army as she loved the models. The first game I had on my new table she wanted to see both armies set up and had a look at my mates army, asking questions about what was what! All in all I think I'm a lucky guy!

·
The Tinkerer
832 Posts
My wife simply shakes her head, rolls her eyes and leaves me to get on with it... until it's time for me to: do some house chores/set the dinner table/deal with the laundry/deal with the kids (delete as appropriate), then she gets crossed :)threaten:) if I continue. Simple rules which if not broken then we're all good! :biggrin:

·
Registered
34 Posts
My lady doesn't get involved often, though she has played Orks in an apoc game a budy and I did. She doesn't give me shit about what I buy (within reason), and thinks I'm the best modeler/greenstuffer/painter in the land :) (though I know I'm not lol). She enjoys when I go hang with the guys and even encourages it. When we play at our house she makes everyone food and gets in on the conversations that always turn dirty. I feel lucky that my interests are not only tolerated, but encouraged. Once in a while she'll even ask to paint a model... or ask to use my paints to do her nails haha.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
My new girlfriend thought it was nerdy/dorky for me to play with little toy army men and gave me crap about it playing with my little 'toys'. I said ok I'll stop playing with my toys but I'm going out getting drunk and getting a hooker for the night but don't worry honey I'll use a condom with the hooker. Suddenly my toys didn't seem bad at all. I have even started teaching her son how to play the game and build his Necorns since he loves robots. I even convinced her to try building a wood elves army. She does love my painting and watching my army come together. Now she wants to go and watch me play a game. So slowly I am converting her. :biggrin:

·
Registered
Space marines ( 13th Legion/ Ultramarines chapter), tyranids, Drukhari, Custodes, SoS,
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One very clear reason I cannot wait to have children! Teach them the lore of 40k (when they are old enough). My nephew has taken an interest, but is obsessed with cricket at present, so much he plays county, so I will wait until the off season, then introduce him to the grimdark!

As for my wife, she does encourage me to paint/ make my models, but there is a rule, no buying more until I have finished what I have bought. Which is fine, as I buy one, make one, technically it follows the rules :victory:

My new girlfriend thought it was nerdy/dorky for me to play with little toy army men and gave me crap about it playing with my little 'toys'. I said ok I'll stop playing with my toys but I'm going out getting drunk and getting a hooker for the night but don't worry honey I'll use a condom with the hooker. Suddenly my toys didn't seem bad at all
Totally agree with this, I always use this as an alternative- 'would you prefer me to be a drunkard and hand around lusty women all evening, rather than my fellow wargaming fellows discussing tactics and bantering over a well-placed lance strike?'
End result: me-1, wife-0

It is also very satisfying to find out I had a very old school frienc who enjoyed the hobby years ago, and during a conversation find out we both have armies, but have never fought each other- cue excitement and instant trips to Warhammer World at the weekend :biggrin:

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Nah all's good here. The Mrs doesn't play but is aware of the hobby, and has painted a few miniatures.

We both work and are in grad school so time is the real limiting factor. I haven't played in many years, and I haven't painted almost anything since I started school. She's generally good humored about it, not terribly interested, but not rude either.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My Mrs has become more open to being involved over the years. Going on 8 years together. First few years she called them 'toy soldiers' or 'dollies' and kid me. Then she started painting things just to see what it was like and started to enjoy doing that. Taught her why cleaning mold lines was important and now she'll help me clean big kits so I can finish quickly. This year was the first time I got her to play - my buddy and his girl, so we did girls (Orks) vs Boys apoc. She didn't know the rules, but we just coached her through and she had fun enough when her boyz mob killed Typhus! Just takes time and an army she can connect with if she is inclined. My lady loves the craziness of the Orks.

·
8,723 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Oh, I agree. That is when she started liking them most. Haven't even got the new codex yet to really get a feel for their current incarnation. That's actually disappointing to hear, as I was thinking about getting her a proper force worked out after I finished getting my CSM and Space Wolves sorted :(

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi all,

Little question form a fellow servant of the God Emperor:

I was planning a list for a game me and a mate will play for his birthday at warhammer world this coming friday, and my partner comes out with this little comment: 'you geek-plotting honey?'

For those of you lucky enough to have wives/ gf/ bf/ fiancees/ bromances/ etc who are also involved in the hobby this probably won't affect you (lucky lol)

For the rest of you with spouses/ partners who do not get involved in the hoby, do they ever tell you something that makes you want to 'face-palm' at their lack of intellect of the game, or genuine indifference to it? :headbutt:

Let us all know these little nuggets of Tzeentch- raging comments that will leave even the 'Greater Good' Tau turning to Khorne to wipe them from existence... or just sigh in acceptance, and apologising to the God- Emperor for their lack of understanding lol

Happy Gaming!:victory:
GF often comments on how she's an enabler of my hobbies. Its also often hard to explain to her that I would like a Titan more than a fancy watch. I think one of the problems is that I can support myself, lifestyle and hobbies compared to when I was younger and 40k stuff all came in big lots of Christmas and Birthday presents. Originally my GF and I used to butt-heads alot over my hobbies, especially since I tend to go to clubs on Sunday afternoons.

Eventually we realized that alot of it stems from the fact that she, like many modern women, are brought up with deluded perceptions that men should only wear suits and like things like cars, boats and cufflinks and are incapable of being happy and expressive without buying something like a Ferrari, Superbike, Speedboat or a G6.

If I work it out, I spend about £400 a year on my war-gaming hobbies, which is roughly 1 or 2 things every month, though it also covers things like spray cans, IPA/Acetone, new brushes etc etc. From that I get about 20+ hours of entertainment out of most model items from unboxing to basing - on the high end of the scale this is nearly a full month. This excludes game time though since I don't play very often.

It used to annoy me that my GF would complain about my spending and miniature painting, until I eventually shot the remark out that she spends about £2000 a year getting her dyed to impress people who don't give a crap, drinks around another £2000 of booze over the year to pretend to enjoy the company of said people and has literally zero hobbies of interest beyond not being able to dance with the crowd of people who don't care in the first place. Or that she buys a £30 dress/jeans/useless item at least every week because feels like it. At that point she had a bit of an epiphany that my wargaming hobbies, video gaming hobbies and interest in RPG's probably aren't the "out there" things.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
My lady loves the craziness of the Orks.
"I don't always play her orks but when I do. It is to get the Mrs. all hot bothered and in the mood for crazy stuff. ":laugh:

I like the craziness of orks as well and they aren't bad this edition but they aren't great either. Now third edition they rocked. Choppas made all armor saves 4+, lootas could take sniper rifles and looted vehicles retained most of their original shooting ability for cheaper than the what the original army could take them.

Still if she loves them and loves playing with them there are some interesting builds in the current edition. Like the double CAD with 5 warboss on bikes all with power klaws or adding weirdboyz to tankbusta units. The big mek with Shokk Attack gun is loads of fun and craziness. So when she is ready Morfangdakka's big stompa Mob is always here to help. :biggrin:

·
Registered
34 Posts
@ morfangdakka - LMAO Nothing gets her wanting more than when I talk like an ORK... (this isn't the place for such talk!)

It was actually the metal model I have of the Shokk Attacj Gun and the explanation of how it works (teleporting grots) that made her fall in love with the Greenskins. He. Way it's sucking up little guys and the way one is trying to avoid being turned into a projectile lol. She wants an army of grots and a while ago I won an auction of about 60 metal ones with the intention of doing a lot of conversions with them at her request. She doesn't really get the rules of the game, but when we play she tells me what she wants to do and I translate it. Just the fact that she shows interest is good enough for me. Let's me get away with my army projects without getting stink eye.

It's nice to have a woman who not only appreciates my interest, but finds her own slight enjoyment out of it as well.

I get crap from some of the guys because we aren't married but have been together going on 8 years, but we both have weird views on what marriage means in this day and age. She has a ring on her finger and we act married obviously, but we just do what works for us I guess.

·
8,723 Posts
Nice guys,my wife tells me how much she hates the hobby on a regular basis! She especially wasn't too chuffed my 7 year old son has just started a dark angels army !
Boom. Headshot! :laugh:

·
Registered
34 Posts
What makes her hate it so much, wooday218? The cost factor can be understandable, but I don't understand the ladies being chuffed about spending a few nights in a month hanging with buddies. And it seems a perfectly reasonable thing to do with your son.

My ex-girlfriend, before I met my current life partner, was hostile toward me about gaming and it never made sense to me. She spent more on clothing in a given month than I did on gaming, spent more time going out with the girls than I did hanging with gaming friends (let alone that cost), etc. Glad that didn't work out for more reasons than my hobby interests...

·
Registered
682 Posts
My ex-girlfriend, before I met my current life partner, was hostile toward me about gaming and it never made sense to me. She spent more on clothing in a given month than I did on gaming, spent more time going out with the girls than I did hanging with gaming friends (let alone that cost), etc. Glad that didn't work out for more reasons than my hobby interests...
This happened to me alot when I was younger.

I think it's something to do with bragging rights and gossip. My old girlfriend used to have a friend who would constantly bang on about how amazing her boyfriends were / how interesting they are etc etc. It sort of became a bit of a pissing contest between them but she always lost on the comparative hobbies front because apparently me playing with toy soldiers was embarrassing for her to explain. Eventually it spilled over into other things; gaming, rpgs and even the kind of TV I watched like anime and what not; yet all she'd want to do would be to watch god-damn reality TV like Strictly Come Dancing or X-Factor and drink "vino" on weekends, which frankly sounds like hell to me.

Eventually we went in different directions but I laugh now because she had a kid to some guy who ran off with her friend and her son now plays Warhammer :grin:

My friend has the same problem with his brother and sisters / family friends who see him working on that stuff. I went to his wedding and every time I met some one new it was always "did you know he plays with toys." Like he was somehow handicapped or something.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts