Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like a lot of Blood Angels players I've been looking round for decent storm Raven ideas. So I thought I would post how I was getting on so far. I really like the Crux-Pattern Storm Raven so I've based heavily on that. Bare in mind I am a bad modeler and an even worse painter. But anyway.

As you can see it's mostly all temporarily stuck , getting an idea for things. Especially the gun positions. I know it only has 1 Twin linked assualt cannon but I think it's easier to place 2 on it. I need to source some hurricane bolters still so I can magnitise them onto the sides.

Aramoro

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
A novel approach, using the valk only. I think you need to rethink the weapons, particularly the tl multi melta, they look like an afterthought. Otherwise it is a good idea. I believe this unit can transport a dread, will it go at the back below the engines and behind the passanger compartment?
Repworthy

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I need to really look at the weapon placements. The dreadnought is going to hang off the back behind the crew compartment.

I don't really like models being asymmetrical, hence the doubled up Assault Cannons. One option I have is adding the smaller wings on to the front of the chassis at the top, hanging the Assault Cannons off them. The Multi Melta is a real issue, not really sure where to put that. I'm resistant to a chin cannon because of the assault ramp on the front.

Aramoro

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
I really like it. Looks like it could carry everything it's meant to. For the twin linked assault cannon why not one on either side?? same principle, firing both at the same target, makes them twinlinked. You could put the multimeltas on the side then too... Maybe have some kind of housing for them they seem very flimsy the way the assault cannons are coming out now?? Still great job I really liek the shape of it

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
Something about it looks wrong. Maybe the wings are a tad too far back. I think they should be forward a tad.

In terms of weapons, the twin linked heavy bolter, multimelta or typhoon launcher could be moved back and mounted right against the nose front of the cockpit. If you extend the housing a bit to cover the back part of the weapons I think it would look better.

The twin linked plasma cannon/las cannon/assault cannon could be mounted on each side of the cockpit. You would just have to build a housing for the weapons. Or just mount them on the wing and count them as twin linked.

·
Registered
361 Posts
It needs Canards something fierce. Preferably larger than the left over Valkyrie tail fins. With the wings that far back there doesn't appear to be anything keeping the nose in the air. That issue and the weird angle of incidence of the main wing are the only things I didn't like about the Crux pattern Stormraven.

Regardless, you appear to be doing a really good job so far.:eek:k: While some folks, myself included (http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb219/Brother_Daniel/DDFStormraven05.jpg), have put the guns on the fuselage there is nothing stopping you from going with the traditional wing weapons look. Either mounted underneath on pylons or in gunpods (for ideas you could look at pics of German Me 109 gunboats), or build up the wing enough so that they look like they are in the leading edge. If you got a couple of large scale modern auxiliary fuel tanks they could easily be used to build weapons fairings.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Canards are my next addition in fact. I was thinking about hanging the Assault cannons off the canards.

With regards to it's flying ability I had originally planned to make it more plane like with centrally located wings. But then I looked at the Thunderhawk again and decided to go more in that direction. Imperial Aircraft get into the air by brute strength and ignorance, punching physics into submission on the way.

Aramoro

1 - 9 of 9 Posts