Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been working on this for a few days, thought I'd start a WIP thread for it.
First pic is the polystyrene packaging I got from a music system, the rest are the progress so far.
The whole lot is made from various shaped lumps of polystyrene, PVA and bogroll.

I'm trying to give it the look of being carved out of the mountain rock, a bit like the temple seen at the end of Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade.
Also tried my best to give the steps an angled look that would match the Imperial scheme of things.

Just needs painted, sanded and grassed and a few bushes around the foot of the cliffs, maybe a few skull decorations and an Imperial Eagle symbol above the two big doors (anyone know where I can get one?)

Any ideas on how to make it look better would be appreciated. Enjoy!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quick update on proceedings. Basecoat is done, just needs highlights and the doors finished then a few decorations.
With the bogroll papier machet being as absorbant as it is, I used a mix of dark grey paint and PVA glue to make the paint go farther and also to toughen up the bogroll and give a shine to the overall finish of the rock.
The whole thing feels like it's made of plastic now.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
"close the blast doors!"

its looking good Model Soldier, i think bits are required now. maybe that SM statue too.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm after getting an Imperial Double Headed Eagle for above the doors but don't know where to get one...

Any ideas?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another update. Rocks highlighted, doors sand coated. Would nearly work as is but not done yet.
Took ages to highlight everything!

·
Registered
0 Posts
if you can find a couple of the old snap together spacemarines they make awesome looking statues. For the Eagle I would suggest print a pattern out on put it on thick board or plasticard

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not done yet but thought I'd stick another update.

I felt the two corners were a bit bare so I added some decorations that are integrated into the mountain rock. Hopefully it looks like they've been carved from the rock, I think they do anyway.

Basically, they're cheapo plastic Halloween decorations found in the supermarket (not sure if I can say the name on here, but it begins and ends with the letter A). Only cost £2.50p for a bag of 3 of them. So I've got a spare one left over now. This time of year is perfect for this sort of stuff lol!
Add a touch of the same PVA and bogroll mix and a blob or two of paint and dry brush to the back of them and... ta-daa, skull decorations are complete.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Its really in need of some pigments just to add a bit of variation in the colour other than that its awesome love the skulls.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers guys.
Stevey293, I'm near done with it but I know what you mean with the colour variations, I've got some natural Autumn scenery to go on, that'll add some greenery and browns, reds and yellows etc.
I've also got some other scenery stuff to go on soon as well, grass, grass tufts, stones and pebbles etc etc, but I need to wait for the sand I've put on base to dry first (pics coming soon).
I hate waiting for glue to dry lol!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, it's finally done. Took about two weeks all together but I got there.
Added the grass and sand, grass tuft and autumn bushes I mentioned in a previous post.

Still feels a bit bare in places so I'll probably add stuff over the weeks here and there, but nothing time consuming or drastic. Maybe the odd bush or touch of grass.

Made these pics slightly larger than the others and stuck a squad of SM Scouts for scale, so it's easier to see the finished product.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts