Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Playing with a similar list, but using Ultra marines and more dakka predators. I'ed like to play with vulkan however and fancy starting a new army.

HQ
Vulkan
Cassius
Troops
Tactical x10 with MM, combi flamer, flamer and rhino
Tactical x10 with MM, flamer and rhino
combat scoutsx5 power fist

Elites
Terminators with Thunder hammers
Ironclad with Melta gun and heavy flamer in drop pod

Fast Attack
Landspeeder with multimelta and Heavy flamer x2
land speeder storm Heavy flamer
Heavy support
Landraider Redeemer with Multimelta

Vulkan goes in the Land raider with the terminators. I might stick cassious in there with him or stick him out into one of the squads. I might even just get myself a librarian for Null zone. Not sure. I've had mixed results with the storm, but in the right situation its magic (first turn PF in the face or a nice outflank). Anyway. I think i'ed got quiet a fast force here with a little alpha strike and enough anti armour/infantry to go around. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
looks OK. you'll be told that MM in Rhinos suck, but i've never tried it.

only other thing is i don't like LRRs, but that's preference.

good hunting.

·
Registered
277 Posts
HQ
Vulkan
Good choice, heavy hitter
Cassius
If going with 2 hq, i would choose a lib in term armour, with a storm shield, 2 reasons, 1) there are a lot of pskers out there, and a hood misses with their plans, and NULL ZONE, add this to terms assault......2) the lib has no inv save as standard, so add term armour, and seeing as you have to re-roll, the save you make from perils of the warp, easier to roll 3+ twice, than 5+ twice.Troops
Tactical x10 with MM, combi flamer, flamer and rhino
See below
See below
People will argue MM, over ml in a tac squad, I prefer ml, due to mm only having 24" range, (12" 2D6 pen) but a ml, has 48" range. Its a toss up really? I would also take a mg, over a flamer, reason being flamer only really gets to fire once before you charge, so why not take it as a combi-weapon on the serg. and a mg is useful many times over, popping tanks at close range, dreads at close range, speeders at close range, need I go on!
combat scoutsx5 power fist
Take it their in the storm, give the storm a mm, (Reson in a minute) i'd give the serg a combi-melta, makes him very expensive, but wit the storm having a mm as well, make it a 1st turn tank hunter, 24" turbo boost scout move, then 12" movement 1st turn, then mg, mm, shot at close range, and their twinlinked too. I like the idea of flamering the troops that get out, but that rarely happens.

Elites
Good, and with Vulkan great, but throw in some lightning claws, some i4 assaults can be a god send for witalling down an enemy at low I, probably 2 claws, 3 th/ss.
Ironclad with Melta gun and heavy flamer in drop pod
I'd go with a cheaper normal dread with mm, hf, pod, he will die, (who wants a dread sitting in there camp) and he cheaper, he is fodder after all.

Fast Attack
See below
Great, anti tank, and anti horde, and with the squadron rule, alittle more survivable,
land speeder storm Heavy flamer
As above (see scouts) may be better as a mm?

Heavy support
Landraider Redeemer with Multimelta
I like this version, but would add extra armour, still being able to move after a stun, can be very helpful, as this is really only a transport to get your terms to a fight

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
HQ
Vulkan
Librarian Null zone and avenger

Troops
Tactical x10 with MM, combi melta, flamer and rhino
Tactical x10 with ML, flamer and rhino
combat scoutsx5 combi melta power fist

Elites
Dreadnought MM and heavy flamer in drop pod

Fast Attack
land speeder storm with MM
Heavy support
Landraider Redeemer with Multimeltan and extra armour

I read the above comments and it mirrored a lot of my thoughts on the list. I think I'm happy with the new list.

I normally run with a Liby in Terminator armour and SS, but can't find the points in this list.

I will ultinate between the ratio of LC and TH. Its normally 2/3 or 1/4 respectable. I do like the survivability of the +3 inv though. However, i just like the look of 5 TH flanking Vulkan.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Vulcan with the TH's works great. He is Int 5 so he can kill some before they strike.
I have ran an Ironclad alot. It takes a ton of fire that would have dropped a normal dread. I think it is worth it.

The SS on the lib is good. I do not see a need for term armor if you do not have the points.
I think the list looks great.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vulcan with the TH's works great. He is Int 5 so he can kill some before they strike.
I have ran an Ironclad alot. It takes a ton of fire that would have dropped a normal dread. I think it is worth it.

The SS on the lib is good. I do not see a need for term armor if you do not have the points.
I think the list looks great.
Yeah i run two Ironclads normaly in Luscious drop pods at my gaming club. Its nice having PF pen on a 6, but I need the points else where to make the list really work for me.

Its true what you say about vulkan. Seen him rip apart a squad of terminators before so I'm not worried about a lack of LCs.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Hey, looks like I'll add the minority opinion. I think this list will do well against most guys at your local shop. But it's not really a hard list. You just don't have enough things that are scary immediately. You're scary turn 2.... And that's only if you go first... if you go second, then the question is if I can stun/destroy 3 rhinos and 1 LR... and that answer is pretty much "yup".... If you go first, then it's the same question except I have to put enough shots in to pop them with your Smoke save... But you have so few threats on the board that it's too easy to overshoot you.

I think your list has a few fundmental flaws... 1. Too few targets, allowing me to overshoot you. 2. You only work at close range and except for your dread, you have not way to get there. 3. You have a HUGE chunk of your force in the LR unit that isn't supported by any LR fire.

In order to make this more scary, I would consider dropping the LR and Cassey, getting another squad of Termies and put them in drop pods.. 10 termies with invos dropping on turn one into force HAS to be dealt with and almost nobody can do it easily.... 5 isn't that scary... but 10 would be... And I have to deal with it the turn they drop cause I CANNOT afford to let them do something... That gives the rhino guys the chance to go and own midfield... and you are controlling the tempo of the game... But even then, you could use some ranged support to make it more difficult.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
In order to make this more scary, I would consider dropping the LR and Cassey, getting another squad of Termies and put them in drop pods.. 10 termies with invos dropping on turn one into force HAS to be dealt with and almost nobody can do it easily.... 5 isn't that scary... but 10 would be... And I have to deal with it the turn they drop cause I CANNOT afford to let them do something... That gives the rhino guys the chance to go and own midfield... and you are controlling the tempo of the game... But even then, you could use some ranged support to make it more difficult.
Terminators in drop pods? Not sure you can do that mate... especially 10 of them?? If that is your only contribution then I'm a little confused. You’re honestly telling me you should place assault 10 terminators in a drop pod?

I’m willing to take criticism, but can you come up with anything more concrete than saying the list is not scary enough?

What list would you consider to be good then? What are your must haves?

I actually think this list is very solid. What type of list would this struggle against, in your opinion, and what would i need to add to counter it?

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
My bad, I was thinking Space Wolves... Sorry for the crap advice :(

The basic problem with your list is that you've ignored all those other things that Codex marines do well in order to only focus on the buffs that Vulcan gives... which, while very cool, don't really help you if your opponent stays more than 12" away. So you need to close the gap to get past this... but you don't really have much to close that gap with. Three Rhinos and a Land Raider don't have much "in your face" potential vs a good list.

By comparison, here's a 2K list that focuses on Termies....

• Librarian in Terminator Armor
  • Terminator Assault Squad – 4 w/ Thunder hammer, Sgt with LC – In a Land Raider with Multi Melta
  • Two10 man Tactical squads with ML and Flamer in Razorbacks (TL Las)
  • Two Rifleman Dreads
  • Three Typhoons
  • Three Preds (Autocannon and Las sponsons)

It has the same problem as all Single rock lists (500 points in one unit), but the intent is to reduce that risk by adding a lot of stuff that shoots well to compensate... something your list above does not have.

What you posted is just an unsupported single rock list... Vulcan does not negate that weakness (though he does help) The Ironclad helps but not enough... Essentially, your army only works if your opponent stays right in front of you and trys to slug it out... Anyone who can pull refused flank is going to make your day very uncomfortable because while you're moving 12" and popping smoke, they're shooting at you and you can't shoot back.

As an example of a Vulcan List that could work... here's an example at 1850...

• 2x Speeders with MM/HF
  • 3x Predators with Las Sponsons
  • 3x TL Las / HF Dreads
  • 2 x Full Tac squads in Rhinos - Melta/Multimelta - sgt has PF
  • 1 x Full Tac squad with Razorback (TL Las or LasPlas) Melta + ML - they get combat squadded - gave Sgt a PF, but feel free to adjust...
  • Vulcan rides in the Razorback.

List gives you 7 hard shooters. 2 suicide melta speeders, 20 troops to go and own midfield in rhino bunkers and one unit to sit back and shoot stuff on your home objective. For 2k add another Razorback squad (5 man)

In the list above, you get 3 Preds and 3 Dreads who can reach out and reliably hit the bad guys every turn. It has a melta focus, but is not dependant on it. And nobody has a "shoot me I'm a lynchpin" sign around thier neck.

Hope that clarifies, and again, sorry for the crap advice in my last post... Termies in Pods can indeed only happen for Wolves and Templars... doh.. :picknose:

·
Registered
32 Posts
My bad, I was thinking Space Wolves... Sorry for the crap advice :(

The basic problem with your list is that you've ignored all those other things that Codex marines do well in order to only focus on the buffs that Vulcan gives... which, while very cool, don't really help you if your opponent stays more than 12" away. So you need to close the gap to get past this... but you don't really have much to close that gap with. Three Rhinos and a Land Raider don't have much "in your face" potential vs a good list.

By comparison, here's a 2K list that focuses on Termies....
  • Librarian in Terminator Armor
  • Terminator Assault Squad – 4 w/ Thunder hammer, Sgt with LC – In a Land Raider with Multi Melta
  • Two10 man Tactical squads with ML and Flamer in Razorbacks (TL Las)
  • Two Rifleman Dreads
  • Three Typhoons
  • Three Preds (Autocannon and Las sponsons)
It has the same problem as all Single rock lists (500 points in one unit), but the intent is to reduce that risk by adding a lot of stuff that shoots well to compensate... something your list above does not have.

What you posted is just an unsupported single rock list... Vulcan does not negate that weakness (though he does help) The Ironclad helps but not enough... Essentially, your army only works if your opponent stays right in front of you and trys to slug it out... Anyone who can pull refused flank is going to make your day very uncomfortable because while you're moving 12" and popping smoke, they're shooting at you and you can't shoot back.

As an example of a Vulcan List that could work... here's an example at 1850...
  • 2x Speeders with MM/HF
  • 3x Predators with Las Sponsons
  • 3x TL Las / HF Dreads
  • 2 x Full Tac squads in Rhinos - Melta/Multimelta - sgt has PF
  • 1 x Full Tac squad with Razorback (TL Las or LasPlas) Melta + ML - they get combat squadded - gave Sgt a PF, but feel free to adjust...
  • Vulcan rides in the Razorback.
List gives you 7 hard shooters. 2 suicide melta speeders, 20 troops to go and own midfield in rhino bunkers and one unit to sit back and shoot stuff on your home objective. For 2k add another Razorback squad (5 man)

In the list above, you get 3 Preds and 3 Dreads who can reach out and reliably hit the bad guys every turn. It has a melta focus, but is not dependant on it. And nobody has a "shoot me I'm a lynchpin" sign around thier neck.

Hope that clarifies, and again, sorry for the crap advice in my last post... Termies in Pods can indeed only happen for Wolves and Templars... doh.. :picknose:
I think an IC in termie armor can run in a drop pod...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2k List

HQ
Vulkan

Troops
Tactical x10 with MM flamer and rhino
Tactical x10 with lascannon, flamer and rhino
combat scoutsx5 combi M power fist
Scoutsx5 snipers and cloaks