Dreadnought with multi-melta, heavy-flamer, drop-pod
= 150
= 150
= 150
Total = 450

Troops:
Tactical squad with 5 additional marines, melta-gun, multi-melta, powerfist, combi-flamer, Drop-pod
= 245
Tactical squad with 5 additional marines, melta-gun, multi-melta, powerfist, combi-flamer, Drop-pod
= 245
Tactical squad with Razorback with twin-linked las-cannon
= 165
5 Scouts with powerfist, combi-melta
= 110
Total = 765

Fast Attack:
2 Land speeders with multi-melta and heavy-flamers
= 140
= 140
Land speeder storm with multi-melta
= 65
Total = 345

Heavy Support:
Vindicator with siege-shield
= 125
Vindicator with siege-shield
= 125
Total = 250

how does this look to you?
Vulkan goes with a pod squad

Durian

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think you would be better off going all rhino rush rather then pod, pod is weak to a numbe rof things including full reserving your army.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
You also are a bit weak against a horde of bugs. Who cares you get twin linked meltas? They're only one wound apiece. That allows the other dozens of the horde to get to you!

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
I think all the flamers and the vindicator rounds will take care of hordes... but the lack of ranged firepower means that you could struggle with a tyranofex or Hive guard... and it will be difficult to put the gazillion wounds needed onto the hive tyrant/tervigons...

But nobody cares about the little bugs... I don't really think of Nids about being a "horde" since I don't care about the roaches... just the big bugs - but they are resiliant as hell.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
i think he's OK for the most part.

he's got Vindies, combi-flamers, and HF on those Speeders and Dreads to help with hordes, not to mention he still has bolters.

i would make all your tact squads take ML and rhinos, though, as deploying full tact squads with MM in pods can be difficult. the ML should give you enough range to hit any one you want, though with clever deployment and the fact that your opponent will close in, MMs may not be as useless as we think.

still the ability to take on hordes or tanks with a heavy weapon is far too useful.

good hunting.

·
Registered
207 Posts
You might as well drop the vindies if you plan on setting them up normally. You do that and they will be dead first turn since there is nothing else to shoot at. If you go first (which you never should) then I would suggest setting them up but if you go second you might as well reserve them or else they will be fire magnets for the entire opposing army

·
Registered
220 Posts
durian? what do you think?

6 tanks? providing he chooses rhinos to transport right? thats 5 tanks i count.

What about not hiding the vindi's as you mentioned in another post clt?

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
if he mechs his tact squads he's got 5 tanks, not to mention 4 LS coming in quick to worry about and 2 dropping Dreads.

sounds like the 12 days of 40K...

...i wouldn't go so far as to say his Vindies are automatically dead; he's got plenty of moving stuff to get in an opponents worry zone to make him choose whether to kill an out of range Vinde or Dreads in the deployment zone.

again, this is true if he mechs up his tact squads. otherwise i agree, he is much more vulnerable.

good hunting.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
durian? what do you think?

6 tanks? providing he chooses rhinos to transport right? thats 5 tanks i count.

What about not hiding the vindi's as you mentioned in another post clt?
When I run vindi's I tend to saturate the rest of the field with other threats.. 4 Lasbacks, 3 Rifleman Dreads, 3 Typhoons, 3 Vindis... So if you focus on the vindi's exclusively, then I still have 10 other shooty things that have the potential to ruin your day. So as my opponent, you're left with a hard choice... focus on the vindi's which will ruin your day... or the other, less armored threats, which will ruin your day. Also, the vindis are AV 13 while everything else is squishy-er.... So I think it works different.

In the list above, the big threat is the podding dreads. Once they arrive, they HAVE to be dealt with or they'll run wild... So I would think about keeping the vindis hidden till they drop.. if I was going first then, they move 12" pop smoke and see what happens with the pods. If I go 2nd, then I hide them behind terrain, then move 12" pop smoke and see what happens with the pods...

Now, if your opponent can lose 3 things first turn and then zap your Dreads, your in a world of hurt. Or, if they full reserve and have enough ranged firepower, you're also in trouble.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My two-cents:

I would go rhinos instead of drop pods for a vulkan list. Move in masses and form up your firegroups.

Remember, you MUST drop 50% (rounding up) of your drop pods on your first turn as part of the Drop Pod Assault rule and this can very easily leave a squad or two vulnerable. You can race and range your meltas into the battle with support, rather than drop some units in that get to shoot once but are then unsupported.

I don't think you are weak against horde with this list. You're not specialized in anti-swarm, but the beauty of a vulkan list is how you exploit the vulkan chapter tactics rule.

As far as vindicators, they are a calculated risk. They work very well against infantry, especially MEQ troops but the vindicator is poorly armored on those sides and suffers worse than other mech after taking a wp destroyed or immobilized hit. Protect them and know what you want out of them, just don't except too much from them.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys,
thanks for all of the replies ive altered my list with some of the recomendations said.

heres the new list i got rid of the scouts and added another las-back in for some more redundancy and fire-power
i have 40pts left over

HQ:
Vulkan He’stan
= 190
Total = 190

Elites:
= 150
= 150
= 150
Total = 450

Troops:
Tactical squad with 5 additional marines, melta-gun, missile launcher, powerfist, Rhino
= 235
Tactical squad with 5 additional marines, melta-gun, missile launcher, powerfist, Rhino
= 235
Tactical with Razorback with twin-linked las-cannon
= 165
Tactical with Razorback with twin-linked las-cannon
= 165
Total = 600

Fast Attack:
= 140
= 140
Total = 280

Heavy Support:
Vindicator with dozer-blade
= 120
Vindicator with dozer-blade
= 120
Total = 240

some possibilities are to;
drop a speeder and make them 3 squads of one, then upgrade a razorback squad into one of the full tact squads in rhino.
or drop a las-back squad and get another two ls with the same set-up

how does the new list look? i have all of the models bar the 2nd razorback

thanks for the replies
Durian

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:biggrin:WOOT! its my birthday! WOOT!:biggrin:

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Consider changing the 2nd TL Las Razorback to a Las/Plas Razorback. It's a lot more flexible for the same cost.

·
Registered
246 Posts
That or add storm bolters to the vindi's to eliminate that pesky weapon destroyed result making my tank useless problem. Just saying:)

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
That or add storm bolters to the vindi's to eliminate that pesky weapon destroyed result making my tank useless problem. Just saying:)
Your opponent gets to pick... Pg 61 BRB....

And without your big gun, it really is a useless brick... SB or no... Also, it comes with a storm bolter already so you don't have to add...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts