Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Good tactics on taking those annoying things down, When i play my mate, i always struggle with them.

Would for instance; Either melta-chosen, or Plasma-Chosen (squad of 5), Work?

I have no idea how to include something in my army that can take on toughness 8. It's so annoying!
The avatar is OK, He can be taken out by Lascannons, and even Melta (though i heard he might be resistant to that?)

Anyone know any good Anti-Wraith/Avatar tactics?

This is CSM for the record.

·
Registered
971 Posts
the avatar ignores all melta and flame weapons so they're no good. las cannons and mssed bolter fire are you best bet for dealing with him.

however, a sensible eldar player will have a seer casting fortune on the avatar every turn

wraithlords are a bit tougher to take out via shooting but las, melta and krak will help

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What does Fortune even do, lol. He casts it everytime, but i've never actually gone toe to toe with the Avatar, I usually manage to avoid it. :biggrin:

He aint great at deployment, just sorta chucks the Wraithlords and Avatar together nowhere near anything else. I havn't mentioned it to him yet, I love taking advantage of it :grin:

·
Registered
390 Posts
the wraithlord doesn't have an invulnerable save so just chuck sothing like a lord with nurgle daemon weapon at or typhus or abbadon(although abbadon does work against anything:p). However, against wraithlords I use khorne bezerkers as on the charge they wound on 6's so can get enough wounds in to drag it down.

The avatar is slow and there is no way to make it faster so use rhinos to avoid it and if it threatens an objective then use massed plasma to drag it down.

If he casts fortune on it then it actually benefits you as that is one less elite/scoring unit that can't reroll its saves. Would you rather have an avatar footslogging towards you or a unit of dire avengers on an objective with rerollable 4+ saves that your bolters can't get through?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Yep, so far so good. You can pretty much just mass bolter fire the Avatar down, there is no great way to wound a T 6 model with a fortuned invul. Lascannons and Missile Launchers work but you are better off sending those elsewhere. Plasma still works well too.

The Wraithlords, however, are a tad bit trickier. They will simply require a few lascannon, missile launcher, melta shots each or a reasonably competent squad in CC with a powerfist or Plaguebringer. Bolt of Tzeentch works and Wind of Chaos is usually pretty fun too, but not nearly as reliable. Luckily, all the things that easily wound these guys also get passed their armor.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Throwing a character at a wraithlord is usually a waste, since a wraithlord will cause instant death on any, but a DP or abbadon. Better solutions are as follows.
1)Berzerkers, with PF will kill a wraith lord on it 1-2 rounds of combat).
2) termanaters will kill a WL in one round of combat.
3) Charge it wilth a Tzeentchian DP (A WL only has 2 attacks base) so even though your hitting on sixes it will probably do jack shit to your DP.
4)Plazma guns, 4) 6-8 plasma gun shots will also down a WL as lone as its in cover (So yes plasma chosen).

However since your opponent is already using a cheese eldar list just cheese him back with the incredibly un-fun lash list (Seriously even with psychic protection neither the wraith lords or Avatar will ever reach you). The old 1 step forward 3 steps back saying comes to mind. Or if you don't want to go with lash just throw down a ten man tzeentchian terminator squad, and keep him from wideling them down before they can make CC.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The tricky thing about wraithlords and the Avatar is that most people use them as a big distraction more than anything else, so you need to be careful of putting too much effort into killing them an ignoring everything else. The wraithlord is toughness 8 and therefore immune to anything strength 4 or less, but they have no invulnerable saves so a hit by a lascannon or rocket here or there will take it down. (It also can't join units so you can always pick it out.) The Avatar however does have an invulnerable save, but it's toughness 6 so spam wounds on it.

Ultimately you wouldn't want to get into a fight with either of them (unless they're on 1 wound or something). The wraithlord in particular can instant-death characters, so I'd recommend shooting.

So in short.
1. Rockets/lascannons etc at the wraithlord
2. Spam wounds on the Avatar

·
Registered
227 Posts
I played CSM for 2 years and Eldar always the biggest pain in the proverbial.

The Avatar you should just avoid unless you have some Obis doing nothing who can Las/plasma him.

The wraithlord is susceptible to a host of termies or berzerkers (provided one has a PF) but you are often tieing up way more points in destroying it than it costs and meanwhile you are out-matched elsewhere.

In the end I concluded that oddly the Eldar's Achilles' Heel was that none of their weapons had a range over 36" so I spammed Obis and sometimes added a Las armed tank (LR or Pred). Add a DP with Lash as insurance (it'll keep the MCs away) and you get a very frustrated Eldar player.

Best of Luck
TT

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I always find plasma fails to kill my wraithlord (when I bother using it). I"d go lascannons for shooting, although I'm no expert on CSM. Are chaos terminators with thunder hammer and storm shield the same as vanilla marine ones? Cause that's what I'd be keeping my wraithlord away from.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts