Votes: 16 8.0%
  • fun

Votes: 75 37.5%
  • both

Votes: 109 54.5%

vortex grenade annoying or fun?

16K views 80 replies 67 participants last post by  GreyKnights 
#1 ·
every time i've played apocolypse the votex grenade has killed valueble units like yesterday it killed 4 assault terminators and a chaplain:(. its fun beacause it so random but its a bit over powered.

#2 ·
i don't think it's over powered it's funny as think something like 100 points killing something not only a 100 times it's size but points as well

#3 ·
i love the vortex grenade, every time we use it in my games i take one just for kicks, i then procede to throw it at a row of tanks or into a building.

the last two times i have used one i removed the following.

first time: 3 devastator squads and a whole building(the guy just looked at me and asked is that possible, i just grinned as i removed the building)

second time: two leman russ and a chimera(containing command squad), one of the opponents had to squeeze all his tanks into an area that was a little crowded.

#4 ·
I have sort of mixed feelings about the vortex grenade. It's not overpowered by any means, but at the same time, it's one of those things that we really didn't need to see the return of. At least you're limited to one (unless you've brought a Titanhammer Terminator Strike Force) so we don't have Template-Hammer of 2nd Edition going on.

#5 ·
Not played Apocalypse yet, but I remember the old days when the combination of a graviton gun and vortex grenades could really ruin your day.

'The cheque's in the cyclops...'

#6 ·
meh. Its got some nasty side effects to it if you completely spoon your rolls and can hurt you just as much as your enemy in the long run so i dont think its a broken thing. Plus if you shoot the character with it right in the face first turn its an asset down the pan. Its a bit of an 'egg basket'. I'm not going to take one for my witch hunters as it just wouldnt be characterful but i can see the appeal, the ability to kill a warhound titan or gargantuan creature in one hit with anything if you can get close enough is worth it. Especially when it costs no points.

#7 ·
I love vortex grenades, I think they make for a fun and flavorful apocalypse game. In fact, right now I'm running an entire campaign based off of them. It all started when me and my friend were playing a game of apoc, with a webway gate as the goal of the mission. Then his space marine commander threw a vortex grenade that scattered into the webway gate and sucked it into the warp.........
Good times.
Now an entire eldar craftworld has chaos pouring out at the seams, while an ork waaaggghh crashes into the planet and starts trying to squish some "fairy boyz". It's starting to get pretty crazy down there..........

#9 ·
It opens a vortex in the warp that moves about the board with a mind of its own. Anything that touches it is removed from the board be it a grot or a baneblade. There are no saves against it by they inv or cover and anything it touches can assumed to be destroyed. Treat it like a miniature black hole. Two Wednesdays back I played as Orks in a apocalypse match and used the shock attack battery datasheet, supercharging it with more grots throughout I got a triple twice generating a vortex grenade over a hammerhead and a broadside. As I took one as strategic asset at the end of the game there were 3 vortex’s moving through the Tau and IG line causing great pandemonium. Even when one crashed into my green tide killing 13 Orcs and ripping apart a nearby ploughed into the lead trukk of our trukk convoy I couldn’t help but find this one in a kind random destructive force of nature highly amusing.

#11 ·
Its not annoying its just plain fun. I used one in 5000 points. It was rediculous the thing killed 3 baneblades and untold #'s of guardsmen.

#53 ·
I'm with Stella on this one. This is the exact same reason I don't play Apoc outside my group, does anyone NOT use Flankmarch? Deployment takes long enough as is, and then you're just going to redeploy again? Perhaps if people threw more infantry into their games instead of so many vehicles and superheavies people might avoid using it. Not sure how many times I've seen double Flank March.

The Vortex gernade was crazy in 2nd Ed, and should have stayed there. It's a no brainer that everyone takes (after Flank March). "You can kill superheavies and 100's of infantry for free!! LOL111LOL111" It smacks of no tactical play and relying on a one trick pony to do most of your damage. I'm utterly amazed how I can read this thread and see so many people say it's fun and then go to another thread where poeple are complaining about something a lot less devestating, like Lash or Wraithlords.

#13 ·
I find them Funny and have no problem with them it's only if they're used more them any of the other assets. best mement with 1 is killing mephiston, comany master, command squad , landraider and 2 marines with Belial

#17 ·
any army can chose the vortex grenade, as long as you have a character model who it can be equiped to.

#20 ·
I've only played one game of apoc with a vortex grenade in it. The necrons threw it and narrowly missed sucking their own C'tan into the warp. It only took a few warriors instead. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

#21 ·
Well on what my results with them were so far I've not missed my first target yet (killed an obliterator, mephiston,captain+command group and a landraider and helbrecht along with a razorback) the only poblem is that after that it loves my crusader.

#26 ·
It would be funny if several vortex grenades were used in the same game and they removed all scenery, terrain and obstacles as well as units. I can just see people saying holy <word removed (lol)> 10 vortexes!

#28 ·
I LOVE them. The last time I played I took Titanhammer Terminators and tossed a couple on two Baneblades right next to one another and they went by-by. Plus they began sucking up IG like a 5 year old sucking soda through a Mcdonalds sized straw. Then of course in grand fashion they turned and killed half the terminators that were teleported there in the first place. Well worth the points trade off. Plus much fun. It really takes you back to 2ed days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.