Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst trying to resolve a dilemma about how to arm my Warriors of chaos, I did some image searching to obtain ideas for which might look better.

This raised an interesting question as there does not seem to be a real world term "great weapon"

Apart from great sword which is either a longer than usual single handed sword or a two-handed sword, the closest term appears to be pole arm (a category in which some people include two handed swords!)

A halberd is a pole arm with either an axe-blade and a hook on the back or an axe blade and a spike/blade on the top.

So, on to the rule question: given that the GW Great Weapons Bitz pack includes one pattern of pole-axe with a spike and back-hook and two patterns of pole-axe with a back-hook, is there some other GW specific definition of the difference that prevents me using the Great weapon Bitz Pack for both (as long as they all represented the same weapon during any one battle)?

If so, does the rule that if the majority of the unit are armed with the correct weapon exist in 8th Edition, permitting me to also use the two Mauls?

For clarity, my friends would not call WYSYWG on me, so I am seeking opinions on whether (given a halberd is a subcategory of great weapon) something that looks like a real world halberd would cause issues in more formal settings?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Providing you clear up any ambiguities prior to a game it should be fine. In a tournament situation, if you explain your deduction to the judges I'm sure that even they would agree with you.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Great weapons are 2 handed 'hand weapons', halberds/pole axes are spears with blades/spikes at the top (and now 2 handed)... so halberds should be long with small heads, while great weapons are normally just big in every respect but compared to a halberd have less length and a much larger blade.

Having said that there are certainly a few models around that I intend to use as halberds now instead of their old great weapons... actually no, I tell a lie. That was the plan before the FAQs but since HE ASF overides great weapon ASL I think I'll stay with great weapons (that was easy :p)

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
... so halberds should be long with small heads, while great weapons are normally just big in every respect but compared to a halberd have less length and a much larger blade.
If only GW had not made their Halberds and Great weapons about the same length :(

Having considered some more, I might mount spikes on the Great Weapons to make them more... Halbardic?... Halbardesque?... Halbardine?

·
Registered
324 Posts
No, "halberdish" was the dialect spoken by Swiss halberdiers in the service of the Medici in the early 1500s.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts