Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put together this diorama for the P3 Grandmasters competition at GenCon. He was awarded a silver medal.

By the way, I've put him up on CMON if you care to vote.

Overall, I was pretty pleased with how he turned out. But don't take my word for it:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Very nice - Love the blending, and the scales are awesome.

One thing - What exactly does it entail? I may not be up to date with some piece of fluff or something, but it seems like he's inspecting the head of a three headed camel thing? And the carapace is cut off by the base.

+rep for a good job anyways ;D

·
Searching for Vulkan
2,755 Posts
dude, I'm really digging the source lighting you've done and to be honest I want to know how you did it. I'm not always a fan of your stuff.. but you've changed my thinking on this. I'd really hate to see what you went up against if you only got silver?? and what kind of tips did they suggest to improve, I'm curious of their thinking!

·
Registered
548 Posts
love how much life you've given the scene with such a limited colour palette. and the source lighting is most enviable... :grin:

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very very nice. But what exactly is he doing? Inspecting the creature's teeth, or putting his hand down it's throat?
Pretty much yes to both. Pendrake is a sort of Biologist version of Indiana Jones- he goes around finding strange monsters and writes about them. The Iron Kingdom's Monsternomicon books are written as if they were his field notes.

Pendrake here has killed himself a desert hydra, and being an adventuring biologist, he's examining it inside and out.

dude, I'm really digging the source lighting you've done and to be honest I want to know how you did it. I'm not always a fan of your stuff.. but you've changed my thinking on this. I'd really hate to see what you went up against if you only got silver?? and what kind of tips did they suggest to improve, I'm curious of their thinking!

I'll make sure to do a write up of source lighting soon, and I'll make sure to link you to it.

As for the silver medal- with the new way that P3 grades their entries, this silver is actually a third place prize. The competition there was quite steep.

I asked Ron Kruzie for tips afterward, and he gave me quite a few minor detail tips (there's a place where the blending is a little stepped rather than completely smooth, some of the books could have used a little better detailing to give the illusion of writing, and also, some of the books were sculpted in a hurry and don't have perfectly strait edges to them).

He admitted to being extremely picky, but when he has to choose between some pretty awesome pieces, I think he's right to be.

And yes, the first place and gold medalist that placed ahead of this piece? They were pretty awesome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts