Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Punx For Life
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, what are you views on using stompas, skullhammas, baneblades and what nots on games under 1500 is it legal or not,

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
As with everything in 40k if your opponent is ok with it its ok. But I don't advise it for the same reason you shouldn't use fliers in a 'normal' game, as they tend to be broken as your opponent has no way of stopping them.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
in normal games of 40 k, if we want to use big toys, then we use the guide lines from the IA books, which is basicly use em in 2000 pt games and above, you can use em in games of 1500 pts, but if your opponent has no super heavys, then for fairness, let him know what yuor fielding, so he can try and ballance his list to survive faceing heavier firepower. as for games under 1500 pts i wouldnt, unless it was a specalised mission (like the line bracker mission in the miisons book)

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
I would say no- if you put something like a baneblade on the field at 1500pts then against a lot of opponents it could defeat their entire army by itself... anything that takes skill and anything but exceptional luck out of the game makes it boring in my eyes.

If both sides have a similarly pointed super-heavy then I would say go for it, but that would be very rare.

·
Registered
526 Posts
If someone plonked a Banblade down in a friendly game i would enjoy the challenge i think, it would be like the huge enemy boss in a computer game, or the massive battle at the end of a film. Something to really mix things up and test your tactical flexibility.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've thought about this one aswell, as my Solis Legion has one Legion Fellblade. I think it'd be unfair unless they also had a super-heavy. The apocalypse template used with the Baneblade/Fellblade Cannon/Mega Battle Cannon would be hard to avoid for smaller games, but if your opponent is fine with it, then meh, just don't expect too many games with them if it goes badly.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
but then for standard games, you just down size the templates to suit normal 40k, and if your useing the IA books, all suoer heavys in there use standard 40K templates, otherwise it is taking the piss a bit too much

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Technically, Superheavy vehicles are for Apocalypse only. They're balanced at that points level, and in smaller games, opponents often can't actually kill or significantly damage a superheavy vehicle.

However, it seems like a shame to spend $90 on a model and only use it once in a while. A good compromise is to allow your opponent to field an extra 15% points over what you field for each superheavy vehicle you bring, which allows them to bring something to give them a chance to neutralize the superheavy vehicle. For the sake of argument, for those of us who hate doing math, at 1000 points, allow your opponent an extra 150 points; at 1500, allow an extra 225; at 1850, allow an extra 275; and at 2000, allow an extra 300 points.

Of course, if you can find a way that the game seems fun and balanced for both sides and keep points even while fielding things like baneblades at less than 3000 points, then by all means, do it. Ultimately, members of your group are the ones who have to make the call, and as long as everybody is on the same page, you can do whatever you like. That obviously doesn't carry over to organized events outside your group, though-- superheavy vehicles are never tournament-legal unless you're participating in some odd tournament format, and Forge World models which do not have Codex entries (that covers everything found in Imperial Armour that does not have an identical entry in the relevant Codex) are generally not legal either, although that's often up to the tournament organizer. If you had something like a Malcador, for example, and wanted to use it in a Rogue Trader Tournament, I'd call the organizer ahead of time and get their approval.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Technically, Superheavy vehicles are for Apocalypse only. They're balanced at that points level, and in smaller games, opponents often can't actually kill or significantly damage a superheavy vehicle.
Let's be honest, they aren't really balanced against normal stuff at any points level- big games often come down to who has the most stD weapons, and thats fine as far as it goes, but bringing them into smaller games should only really be for special scenarios.

·
Punx For Life
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i was only thinking of friendly games and only if they have a super heavy too,
if i take a skullhammer or stompa and my opponent takes a baneblade or titan,
this would have to be agreed beforehand,
we don't say what were bringing just that the game will be 1500point including a super on each side.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
if you used the points values and rules given for using them in basic 40k (NOT apocashit rules and pts) then yes I would allow it, even though you usually need 2500pts.

super heavies are NOT for apocalypse only, despite what some say, as they existed long before apocashit.

but some of the newer things do not have 40k rules made for them, so make sure you pick something that does.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts