Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm considering the following for a casual 2K game this coming weekend.

HQ
Captain w/Power Fist & Digital Weapons

Troops
Tactical Squad; LasCannon, Gravgun, Combi-Grav
Tactical Squad; Multimelta, Meltagun, PW & Melta Bombs
Tactical Squad; Missile Launcher, Flamer, Stormbolter

Elite
Sternguard Squad; Power Fist, Combi-Melta

Fast
Assault Squad; Jump Packs, Power Fist
Assault Squad; Jump Packs, 3 Plasma Pistols, Power Weapon

Heavy
Devastator Squad; 4 Gravcannons, +5 Marines, Combi-Grav
Devastator Squad; 4 LasCannons, +5 Marines
Devastator Squad; 4 PlasmaCannons, +5 Marines

Transports
Rhino X 6
Razorback w/TLLC

As always, C&C is welcome.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I like it! All the power armour!

Chapter Tactics? Based on your name I'm going to assume UM, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not sure if you're just playing WYSIWYG with the models, but I'm going to prattle on on the assumption that you have alllll the toys in the world.

HQ: I've not run a power fist captain personally, for me the big advantage of a Captain is ini 5. Without EW at toughness 4 he's probably going to get instagibbed by most ini 1 weapons. 4++ might save his bacon, but that's a "might". Who's he attaching to? Can you afford the Burning Blade / Teeth of Terra / Shield Eternal?

Tactical squads : for me, whatever my special weapon is, my combi weapon is the same, with melta bombs on anyone not toting a combi-melta. I'd assume you're CSing all three of the squads with the heavy weapons sitting / getting dropped off somewhere convenient. I'd thoroughly recommend dozor blades on the Rhinos, because screw terrain tests. Overall, looks like a good, flexible set up to me.

Sternguard: I'd drop the power fist and take two more combi-meltas. Very little is going to be scared of a power fist in a squad that is likely going to get shot to pieces before anything charges.

Assault Squads: Squad one: Personally I'm a fan of eviscerators over fists these days, as you can put them on non-characters. Bad in that you can't look out sir wounds, but good in that it can't get challenged out and punted before it can fight.

Squad 2: 3 Plasma pistols? Whilst I have a ludicrous number of plasma pistols on my assault marines, I rarely play them as such, for the simple reason that assault marines are generally going to get raped by anything plasma is good at killing. Maybe put the power fist in this squad and go MC hunting?

Dev squads: First rule of Dev squads - never mix weapons: CHECK. All good, no further comments.

Not really convinced by Razorbacks, but as it doesn't take up a slot it probably beats the slightly more expensive TLLC Pred in this case.

Let's go through my little checklist:

Objective Grabbers? Check
Redundancy? Double Check

Your list is very mobile, with everything scoring and a good amount of obsec. You go get those objectives!

Anti-infantry : Plasma cannons
Redundancy : ML / Flamer tac squad

A good amount of dakka at various AP values, you may struggle against full blown horde armies if you don't know who you're playing, but otherwise a very solid, versatile mix.

Anti-Vehicle : Did someone say Lascannons?
Redundancy: Melta, melta, giant fist of gloriousness, melta melta melta

Zero problems here. If you want it dead, it's probably already exploded.

Anti - psyker : Diddly.

If you're going to skimp, this is possibly the place to do it. Better just hope for them sixes!

Anti-flyer : Kiiiiiiinda

Whilst you have no skyfire, you have enough units on the board to scare anything into jinking/exploding (see: 4 lascannons, or TWENTY gravcannon shots) , and if you're playing Maelstrom and find a Skyfire Nexus, you're laughing.

I can't see this list getting facerolled any time soon, just play to what I see to be one of your bigger strengths : objective grabbing.

Hope some of that was constructive, probably more than you asked for, but I just like hearing myself type. Best of luck with the game!

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like it! All the power armour!

Chapter Tactics? Based on your name I'm going to assume UM, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not sure if you're just playing WYSIWYG with the models, but I'm going to prattle on on the assumption that you have alllll the toys in the world.

HQ: I've not run a power fist captain personally, for me the big advantage of a Captain is ini 5. Without EW at toughness 4 he's probably going to get instagibbed by most ini 1 weapons. 4++ might save his bacon, but that's a "might". Who's he attaching to? Can you afford the Burning Blade / Teeth of Terra / Shield Eternal?

Tactical squads : for me, whatever my special weapon is, my combi weapon is the same, with melta bombs on anyone not toting a combi-melta. I'd assume you're CSing all three of the squads with the heavy weapons sitting / getting dropped off somewhere convenient. I'd thoroughly recommend dozor blades on the Rhinos, because screw terrain tests. Overall, looks like a good, flexible set up to me.

Sternguard: I'd drop the power fist and take two more combi-meltas. Very little is going to be scared of a power fist in a squad that is likely going to get shot to pieces before anything charges.

Assault Squads: Squad one: Personally I'm a fan of eviscerators over fists these days, as you can put them on non-characters. Bad in that you can't look out sir wounds, but good in that it can't get challenged out and punted before it can fight.

Squad 2: 3 Plasma pistols? Whilst I have a ludicrous number of plasma pistols on my assault marines, I rarely play them as such, for the simple reason that assault marines are generally going to get raped by anything plasma is good at killing. Maybe put the power fist in this squad and go MC hunting?

Dev squads: First rule of Dev squads - never mix weapons: CHECK. All good, no further comments.

Not really convinced by Razorbacks, but as it doesn't take up a slot it probably beats the slightly more expensive TLLC Pred in this case.

Let's go through my little checklist:

Objective Grabbers? Check
Redundancy? Double Check

Your list is very mobile, with everything scoring and a good amount of obsec. You go get those objectives!

Anti-infantry : Plasma cannons
Redundancy : ML / Flamer tac squad

A good amount of dakka at various AP values, you may struggle against full blown horde armies if you don't know who you're playing, but otherwise a very solid, versatile mix.

Anti-Vehicle : Did someone say Lascannons?
Redundancy: Melta, melta, giant fist of gloriousness, melta melta melta

Zero problems here. If you want it dead, it's probably already exploded.

Anti - psyker : Diddly.

If you're going to skimp, this is possibly the place to do it. Better just hope for them sixes!

Anti-flyer : Kiiiiiiinda

Whilst you have no skyfire, you have enough units on the board to scare anything into jinking/exploding (see: 4 lascannons, or TWENTY gravcannon shots) , and if you're playing Maelstrom and find a Skyfire Nexus, you're laughing.

I can't see this list getting facerolled any time soon, just play to what I see to be one of your bigger strengths : objective grabbing.

Hope some of that was constructive, probably more than you asked for, but I just like hearing myself type. Best of luck with the game!
Good morning and thanks for the comments!
Yes, Ultramarines Chapter Tactics are what I intend to use with this list, which is not the usual set of tactics that I run. However, I figured I would give them a whirl this time around.
Things in my games are always WYSIWYG, I just think it's best to represent what you have and not proxy.
A Power Fist on your Captain can be fun. Easily, it is the biggest failing of the mini going last, but, when your turn comes around and he gets to strike, he usually lights someone up pretty decently.
Combat Squads are the order of the day with the Tactical Squads, but, not with the Melta Squad, I tend to keep that one together, while the others CS. Typically, I run a fair share of Stormbolters for my Sergeants instead of Combis, this is a result of Imperial Fists CT as they reroll 1's when hitting. But, the Squad with the Flamer is getting the SB as that's what I had modeled the squad to have a few years ago.
Unfortunately, I can't drop the Power Fist on the Sternguard. The models are the older kit GW had before the plastic one issued a few years ago. So, I'm kinda stuck with it and the Combi Melta. However, they're going to load up in the Razorback and ride around with the Captain, so, that should be fun.
An Assault Squad with an Eviscerator would be fun, but, this is yet another case of a squad built years ago and I'm not willing to change it since its assembled and painted. The over abundance of Plasma Pistols isn't a problem for me, I typically do not run into too many 1's when I roll to hit with them. However, I can always swap out the Sergeant's PP if need be when points are an issue.
On the Devs, I follow that same rule and happy with the results. Hopefully, their Rhinos won't "pop" from enemy fire before arriving at its destination.
On the issues of AA and Anti-Psychers, I know the person I'm playing isn't running anything like that, so, I'm not concerned about it at all. If he were, I'd have a Stormtalon and Librarian in the mix.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Cool! I thought WYSIWYG was a big part of it. The whole list makes more sense to me now. My Captain is still rocking a bolter and a power sword, but admittedly doesn't get ran out very often.

Imperial fist CTs? The list is pretty much screaming Crimson Fists now.

I've proxied most of the stuff I mentioned, though I'm still missing a few special-er weapons like eviscerators, and I don't have any Sternguard at all yet (getting remedied soon).

Please let us know how the Captain / Sternguard / Razor get on, I'm very curious.

Best of luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts