Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I had been toying with the idea of a Veteran Company for quite some time and ended up buying an Imperial Guard Cadian Battleforce. The only army that is capable of fielding 500 points around here is Space Marines without a FOC. Planning to use every single man in the box, I tailored an army list around my modeling desires which eventually lead to my "Odu Commandos" fluff (still incomplete and unpresentable). This is the list I created:

Army Composition (500):
HQ: Company Command Squad
Basic cost
All Veterans armed with Laspistols
Vox-caster (will be modeled as a MoO)
Bodyguard (can be used as a sergeant)
Missile Launcher
TOTAL 85

TROOPS: Veteran Squad
Basic Cost
Sergeant Bastonne
Mortar
Meltagun
Grenade Launcher x2
TOTAL 155

Veteran Squad
Basic Cost
Vox-caster
Autocannon
Sniper Rifle
Grenade Launcher x2
TOTAL 100

Elites: Storm Troopers
Basic Cost
TOTAL 85

FAST: Armored Sentinel
Basic Cost
Plasma Cannon
TOTAL 75

The main idea is to pummel the enemy with (hopefully) more fire than he can bring on the table by spamming Orders, with the Armored Sentinel acting as a tar-pit (if it survives that long) and the Storm Troopers causing a general annoyance to the player.

I usually play Lord of the Rings SBG and this is my first FOC-legal list. I welcome comments and criticism (hopefully both will be constructive)
10-4

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to say that I have never played a "real" W40K game so I really need help. Assistance of any kind will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Just started guard myself, so Im not much of an expert, but ill try to help.

Army Composition (500):
Basic cost
Missile Launcher
TOTAL 85
I dont think this squad is very well thought out TBH. Guard are horrible at close combat so theyre better off with lasguns i think. Better yet drop the ML and give them flamers so they can run around burning stuff.
Basic Cost
Sergeant Bastonne
Mortar
Meltagun
Grenade Launcher x2
TOTAL 155
Drop the melta for another GL so you can focus on killing lots of infintry. Also, I think Bastonne is overpriced and useless, but that might just be me.
Veteran Squad
Basic Cost
Vox-caster
Autocannon
Sniper Rifle
Grenade Launcher x2
TOTAL 100
Give this squad 3 meltas and no autocannon or other special weapons so they can fully focus on emy vehicles or heavy infantry.
Basic Cost
TOTAL 85
Id give 2 of these guys plasma, then this squad can hunt enemy heavy infintry.
Basic Cost
Plasma Cannon
TOTAL 75
Not sure about this guy, concidering he will be the focus of all anti armor weapons your opponent has he will be killed very quickly. It might be better to go all infantry and cause the enemy to wast all anti armor weapons since there is no armor to kill in your army if you drop this.
Youve got a good start here, but I think that you should try to build your units with specific focuses in mind for each squad. When you mix all kinds of weapons into a squad then you are always going to wast some of them shooting somthing that they are ineffective against.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I take it you are restricting yourself to the models included in the battleforce only here (and doing some kind of conversion for the storm troopers)?

Evil beaver is correct that your HQ will be very poor in close combat, especially if you cant spend points to beef it up so dont take the laspistol on the veterans.

Single mortars rarely do anything useful, especially against marines, I would trade it for an Autocannon or missile launcher as these are more general purpose weapons. The points for these can be obtained by getting rid of the voxs (which i find are rarely worth it)

The melta gun really needs to be in a squad that wants to be at that range so I would shift it into the stormtroopers for deepstriking fun. Add a second one if you can.

Plasma cannons will make the sentinel a big target (moreso than it already is) I would downgrade it to an autocannon and use the points to buy a plasma gun for one of your veteran squads. It maybe worth changing the sentinel to the scout variety so you can outflank with an autocannon.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Army Composition (500):
Basic cost
Missile Launcher
TOTAL 85

OK, is the vox a vox or a MoO? I will assume that it is a vox.
The missile launcher is OK, it's very versatile and will be a good addition in 500 point games where there is not likely to be much armour about.
You could drop the bodyguard and tinkering about could get you camo cloaks for increased cover saves as this sort of squad is best left in a ruin/vantage point to snipe & give out orders.

Basic Cost
Sergeant Bastonne
Mortar
Meltagun
Grenade Launcher x2
TOTAL 155

Not a fan of Bastonne; too expensive for one order; about the same as a Chimera...
I would not recommend the mortar in the squad, definately do not mix it with a tank-hunting meltagun! You could drop both Grenade Launchers for another meltagun and give the squad some focus.

Veteran Squad
Basic Cost
Vox-caster
Autocannon
Sniper Rifle
Grenade Launcher x2
TOTAL 100

I like this squad.

Basic Cost
TOTAL 85

These guys could really do with either two meltaguns or two plasmaguns. Drop Bastonne to find the points.

Basic Cost
Plasma Cannon
TOTAL 75

Nice, although for stalling enemy units I prefer multilaser (cheapest) or autocannon as you want to keep the sentinel as cheap as possible if it's going to be a throw-away.

See above comments in red.

You have managed to squeeze in quite a lot of stuff in a 500 point game, but you can fit more in!

If you get rid of Bastonne and all the voxes you will get a nice bucket of points to play with. I know you've only got the battleforce to work with at the moment, but no harm in planning for the future.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the posts guys,
That is right Yllib, I am working with what is in the box and converting for ST.

As much as armor goes, my friends have 1 Rhino total so, even if my force will not be completely all-comers, I'd like to shift the focus away from tanks just a little.

On that note, here's the second attempt:

Army Composition (480):
Basic cost
Master of Ordnance
Vox-Caster
Mortar
TOTAL 90

CC didn't work so we'll make these guys a boom-box.

Basic Cost
Grenadiers
Grenade Launcher x3
TOTAL 115

These guys are the main part of my force and will attempt to contest objectives.

Veteran Squad
Basic Cost
Grenadiers
Vox-caster
Heavy Bolter
Grenade Launcher x2
TOTAL 130

These guys can just sit back and shoot their guns away.

Basic Cost
TOTAL 85

I think these guys should be fine against Space Marines. Right?

Basic Cost
Autocannon
TOTAL 60

Focusing this guy more on transport killing and a cheaper (if he lasts) tar-pit than before.

I have some extra points but those are easily resolved. I tried to tailor these guys to their goals better. I obviously lack any way of stopping AV 14 or 15. Had I two Meltas I could use the 20 points to give the ST the guns to take such a target down. Against mostly infantry, though, I'm not sure I want to do that.
Any suggestions, comments?
10-4

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I obviously lack any way of stopping AV 14 or 15.
Everyone does, because AV 15 doesn't exist :p

10-4
Personally I don't like Stormtroopers, I find Veterans to be much more useful because they can take so many more special weapons, but in a low-points game like this you could be good. I don't have the book with me so this is all off the top of my head, but you could drop the Storm troopers in favour of a Hydra for some awesome quad-autocannon armour popping goodness. The leftover points could go to giving your command squad carapace armour for some extra protection.

My $0.02.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Army Composition (480):
Basic cost
Master of Ordnance
Vox-Caster
Mortar
TOTAL 90
Nice..keep them out of LOS and you're golden.

c/c doesn't work with Guard unless you go crazy and build the entire list around that concept, and even then against the heavy hitters they won't fare that well.

Basic Cost
Grenadiers
Grenade Launcher x3
TOTAL 115

These guys are the main part of my force and will attempt to contest objectives.

Veteran Squad
Basic Cost
Grenadiers
Vox-caster
Heavy Bolter
Grenade Launcher x2
TOTAL 130

Grenadiers is too expensive and the points are better spent on other units. I always find more effective ways to spend those points, and I can build a full FOC IG list and not include any Doctrines at all.
I know you're using what you have, which is fine and the best idea when you're starting out. However GL's on Vets really are underwelming overall so get Melta/Plasma asap, and Chimeras as that's where Vets shine...gunline should be the domain of standard Infantry Squads.

Also, an AC is a better choice than a HB..longer range and higher S, so has a wider range of targets like transports.

Basic Cost
TOTAL 85

The best build for ST's is 2 Meltas..DS'ing behind lines and popping a high priority target. Yes the AP3 is nice against MEQ but the range is short and been 5 strong only they don't last long. I think you need a full 10-man squad if keeping them basic because you wabt to nearly wipe the enemy SM squad out and 5 won't achieve that. They have some nifty abilities but can't score so can't claim Objectives, which is a bit of a waste of some of those abilities.

Basic Cost
Autocannon
TOTAL 60

Focusing this guy more on transport killing and a cheaper (if he lasts) tar-pit than before.
I prefer Scout ones over Armoured myself..cheaper plus more tactical options, Outflanking for one. That said, Armoured ones do make better tar-pits..tougher.
Been the only vehicle this will have a big fat bulls eye on it, so the points from Grenadiers could get you a second one, which doubles it survivability...
or get a Chimera for one of the Vet Squads.

So if you dropped the Doctrines you have 80 pts to spend, so consider some of my suggestions/options and/or get something you like yourself..you have a nice list to use as a base to continue building from so best of luck with it:victory:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Thanks for the posts guys,
That is right Yllib, I am working with what is in the box and converting for ST.

As much as armor goes, my friends have 1 Rhino total so, even if my force will not be completely all-comers, I'd like to shift the focus away from tanks just a little.

On that note, here's the second attempt:

Army Composition (480):
Basic cost
Master of Ordnance
Vox-Caster
Mortar
TOTAL 90

Basic Cost
Grenadiers
Grenade Launcher x3
TOTAL 115

Veteran Squad
Basic Cost
Grenadiers
Vox-caster
Heavy Bolter
Grenade Launcher x2
TOTAL 130

Basic Cost
TOTAL 85

Basic Cost
Autocannon
TOTAL 60

I have some extra points but those are easily resolved. I tried to tailor these guys to their goals better. I obviously lack any way of stopping AV 14 or 15. Had I two Meltas I could use the 20 points to give the ST the guns to take such a target down. Against mostly infantry, though, I'm not sure I want to do that.
10-4
i like it, very killy :D

one thing i would say, the vet squad with the heavy bolter, get rid of the heavy bolter and greniders doctrine, this will give you the points to buy gunnery sgt harker.

hes pritty much a moveable heavy bolter since he has relentless. he gives the unit camo cloaks so they can hunker down on an objective and get +1 to their cover save(nice) and the entire unit gets move thru cover (very nice!) so they can draw a more direct line to an objective.

in my oppinion he is brilliant for an objective grabber.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you HOBO, grenadiers are out and STs have a meltagun.
The-ad-man, I was actually considering Harker as an alternative to me not having any Chimeras to equip my veterans with. Thank you for voicing my thoughts :good:
I'm not sure how to convert Harker into a Cadian/urban style with skinny arms. Any suggestions are appreciated though the focus of the thread is the list, not the modeling.
Here is the third list attempt:

IG Veteran Company (500):

Basic cost
Master of Ordnance
Vox-Caster
Mortar
TOTAL 90
Same.

ELITES: Storm Troopers
Basic Cost
Melta x 1
TOTAL 95
I do not have two meltas at the moment

Basic Cost
Harker
Sniper Rifle
Grenade Launcher x 2
TOTAL 140
Objective grabbing squad which will then sit on it for the rest of the game.

Veteran Squad
Basic Cost
Vox-caster
Autocannon
Grenade Launcher x 3
TOTAL 100
Foot-slogging firebase.

Basic Cost
Autocannon
TOTAL 60
Same.

15 points are left over. 10 points would have been taken by the second melta in the Storm Trooper Squad. The "Harker Squad" has a sniper rifle which could easily be switched with the GL of the "Firebase Squad" or removed. Once again, comments and criticism please,
10-4

1 - 11 of 11 Posts