Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
How's it pronounced, anyway? Like an "s" or like a "k"? I've never known that...
Think your looking for the fluff forum. With the soft and hard C, it usually has to do with the vowel that goes after it. In this case, no vowel.... if a, o, and u, hard c. If e, i, and y, soft c. With your obvious English exceptions that there always are.

Personally, I lean towards hard C for no other reason that K'tan sounds better than S'tan.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
you'll have everyone coming on with different pronountiations now... personally I've never heard anything other then "Ka-tan" but Im sure that different areas/countries would have their own versions (hell we cant even agree on how 'tomato' is pronounced... so how are we meant to agree on anything like this :p )

·
Registered
496 Posts
Either way should be fine

Hard C is how me and my mate pronounce it (and i think they did on Dawn of War Soulstorm as well, when you try to get to the relic when attacking Necron's HQ?)

Ka-tan to me makes more scence then Sa-tan (lol satan x3)

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Actually the original idea was that, as the C'tan are so ancient, they are the origin of many primordial fears. The Nightbringer is Death for example. C'tan is meant to sound like Satan.

Edit: it is always pronounced as the letter if on its own, i.e. C, as in C'tan. If it was a hard sound then it would either need to be a K'tan or Ca'tan, which it isn't.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Actually the original idea was that, as the C'tan are so ancient, they are the origin of many primordial fears. The Nightbringer is Death for example. C'tan is meant to sound like Satan.

Edit: it is always pronounced as the letter if on its own, i.e. C, as in C'tan. If it was a hard sound then it would either need to be a K'tan or Ca'tan, which it isn't.
Could be, but if that's the case, shouldn't it be See'tan, not Sa'tan? C being pronounced See and all. Not trying to start a huge discussion, but it looks like if your point is true, spelling was not well thought out.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I worked in a rogue trader store that sold GW and made a trip to GW Canada headquarters at one point and they pronounced it "Se'tan", as in sedan with a t.

To attempt to use english grammar/pronunciation rules on a word that is obviously not english is strange indeed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts