Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As a note, for those so inclined/interested, many of the factions have links to short stories or ongoing stories that can give you a first-hand glimpse into the actions or minds of the Venom Guard and the members of the Imperium who stand against them.

First, as a brief explanation of why in the hell I put this much time into this...
I wanted to, as many people do, build a background for my Chaos Marine army. I was more than slightly obsessed with the Alpha Legion, so I decided to make the warband an offshoot of them. Unfortunately, I also run a very berzerker-heavy army... so I had to make up some way to make them 'fit' with the whole "Chaos Undivided" mentality of the Alpha Legion.

The Venom Guard were formerly known as the Eighth Great Company of the Alpha Legion. Although not present for the events in the book "Legion" due to the vast spread of the Legion during the Great Crusade, they were quickly gathered to the main body and informed/convinced of the Legion's change in allegiances.

Originally approximately 3,000 Astartes strong, ten thousand years of attrition have had their told. Presently, the Venom Guard number approximately 300.

Unlike the majority of their fellow former-Legionnaires, the Venom Guard look down on the individual giving themselves over to the Chaos Gods in any extent. Despite the general, traditional 'guidance' of impartiality, there are many squads in the Guard that have either fallen to or given themselves completely over to a particular Ruinous Power.

Serpentis Coven
- The Venom Guard are led by a triumvirate: the Wrathful, the Seer, and the Champion.

The Wrathful - The overall leader of the company. His identity is, at least for the reader, still a mystery (yes, cheesy I know)

The Seer - Ezekiel - A powerful sorcerer, whose visions guide the actions of the Venom Guard. While the Wrathful retains authority, he never acts without first consulting the Seer. He is the leader of the Serpentis Cabal, the three sorcerers (Nihilous, Veruzalus) who act in unison towards cleansing and guiding the company.
The Champion - Bociphus - An unparalleled warrior, the Champion represents the martial perfection and prowess of the warband.

Flagship: Theta
At one time a battle barge, the great warship has warped and expanded. It now resembles a mace-head, with four great segments protruding from the central body. In each of these quadrants reside the marines dedicated to a certain Ruinous Power.

Given the contentious history between followers of differing Gods, the central spine of the vessel is ruled with an iron fist by those who still maintain their neutrality. The Serpentis, the terminator elite of the warband, secure the middle ground, ensuring that no side has contact with the other outside of the war rooms.

Pillar of Dominance
The central spine of the vessel in which the Serpentis reside and patrol. The Serpentis number, at present, 20 terminators and 7 chosen. They are divided into teams, rather than the traditional squad.

Team Ravven - Led by Ravven, the leader of the terminator elite.
Members: Corran, Patiorus, Acerbus, Uriah

Team Venenifer
Members: Quentis, Chardrid, Mattias, Mikken

Team Yarlo
Members: Jandian, Orlo, Vincius, Morret

Team Espueno
Members: Kincha, Ospeen, Kuralowsk, Borga

Team Benizius - Led by Benizius the Brooding, this squad consists of the Chosen, those awaiting for one of the terminators to fall in battle so that they may inherit their positions
Members: Ozymand, Seth, Saetoran, Hadiss, Ludd, Lodd

Terminal of Destruction - 23 Jan Addition
Within the upper reaches of the length of the ship reside those Chaos Marines that have held true to the teachings of Alpharius and Omegon. They have not yet given allegiance to any of the Chaos gods, maintaining a disdainful neutrality, only choosing grant the Dark Powers favour in the heat of battle, and choose to ally themselves in a way to give their squads the maximum tactical advantage. Herein live the tactical squads and Raptors of the Venom Guard.

Squad Finarius

Squad Pegerian

Squad Arko

Squad Hypakrian

Squad Anderan

Squad Zecharias

Khornate Blood Halls
- There are thirty marines which have cast aside their indifference, sacrificed their control for the utter surrender to their blood lust.

Squad Bravvick - Led by Bravvick the Skull Reaper.
Members: Vorn, Charritt, Jib, Uzick, Kayzit, Wermbo, Graff, Langshi, Zadrian

Squad Paelleoth - Led by Paelleoth
Members: Humus, Grignor, Stix, Romus, Rankk, Krakke, Vral, Ghram, Tippim

Squad Sloveck - Led by Sloveck
Members: Denzi, Mellane, Bohem, Frickst, Morary, Harad, Utikah, Endritch, Ansial

Slaaneshi Lair of Ecstacy - There are twenty marines who have given into their insatiable lusts, trying ever harder to experience greater and more intense sensations to bring colour into their grey existences.

Squad Eudeves - Led by Eudeves
Members: Lillion, Olaf, Hankor, Alberico, Hamms, Drakiel, Ilmos, Drakkthrall, Mufisto

Squad Slussiz - Led by Slussiz
Members: Spinaker, Tazz, Derchos, Heath, Wigz, Jyoto, Pamchax, Apath, Morto

Bowels of Corruption
- There are only seven plague marines remaining on the Theta, as those Nurglites within often defect to other warbands, or go forth to spread disease and decay across the galaxy for their own nefarious purposes.

Squad Phagram - Led by Phagram the Noxious
Members: Nosfer, Raugmoss, Udero, Thaggrin, Nikolai, Gentiran, Khlegum

Absent from the Theta - Flegmus and his coterie have vanished from the vessel, off on an unknown quest.

Chambers of Lies
- There are twenty-six marines that have pledged their loyalties to Tzeentch, their hunger for knowledge, sorcery, and their webs of deception naturally leading them towards the clutches of the Deceiver.

Squad Pheacias - Led by Pheacias
Members: Hamen, Amon, Izraie, Maliki, Judian, Shawket, Moniyaf, Alyas, Hadid

Squad Laman - Led by Laman
Members: Rahman, Umar, Abbas, Mishal, Gaeb, Abd, Abdullim, Izmael, Mulazim

Squad Orira - Led by Orira
Members: Aleh, Hamud, Hamdan, Obayda, Ubaid

Caverns of Despair - 6 November Update
- These are the aft ends of the vessel, controlled jealously by the Obliterator Cultists who have allied themselves with the Venom Guard. Here, they use captured and heretic tech priests to maintain the Venom Guard's array of vehicles and daemon engines.

Cult of Hariziah - Led by Hariziah the Hungerer
Members: The Technomancer, Xavrax, Pithiton, Draygar, Zentius, Orgo, Ramakon, Dominum

Notable Daemon Engines
Defilers - Grathagullok the Butcher (seen below), Vagamemnon, Hraxik of the Eye

As concerns many of the followers of the Dark Powers (at least those with some sense on their shoulders), longevity and survival often coincide with whatever destructive purposes they have planned against the Imperium of Man or the rest of their myriad of enemies.

The Venom Guard have been highly involved along the Ultima Segmentum, either covertly or in open conflict. More recently, as the 41st millenium draws nearer to its close and the forces of the Warmaster pour forth from the Eye, the Venom Guard have set their machinations into action.

The Dalmian Crusade
The Dalmian Cluster is a fairly substantial outward arm of the Ultima Segmentum along the northern edge of the galactic plane. Located along key defensive routes between the Segmentum itself and the Eye itself, the Cluster is a key strategic location for both militaristic and munitorum resupplies sent in support of the Imperiums defense against the burgeoning onslaught of the XIII Black Crusade. Within the Cluster itself are thousands of planets, many with abandoned surfaces save for Imperial Guard garrisons. While the purpose of these planets has been lost to the ages, the Venom Guard have divined their true purposes and recognize the vital import both of these garrison worlds and the treasures they protect.

Chaotic cults began to spring up in all corners of the Cluster as thousands of years of preparation have finally come to a fulcrum. Agents of the Venom Guard emerge from the foundations, from lowly hab-dwellers rioting in the names of their new-found masters to Imperial governors throwing off the yoke of the Imperium and renouncing the God-Emperor's divinity. Millions of men from the Imperial Guard and several Ultramarine successor Chapters are diverged from the Eye to secure this vital travel hub and seize it back from the forces of Chaos.

Battle of Ioxus II - 6 November Update
The Ioxus system is an outlying planet within the Dalmian Sector, the second world of which serves as an agricultural center of utmost importance to the surrounding, more populated planets.

A detachment from the Venom Guard emerged following a series of civil revolts on Ioxus II in the opening stages of the Dalmian Crusade. Bociphus, the Venom Guard's Champion, led the forces of Darkness in their assault on the planet, in the efforts to destroy the planetary spaceport to cripple resupply efforts within the Dalmian Cluster to the thriving hive planets in nearby star systems.

They were met by an element of Imperial Fists just outside the spaceport, as sons of Dorn were visiting the planet on a recruiting mission. Led by a company captain and a librarian, the Imperial Fists were pushed back against tide of cultists and the far more cunning and dangerous Legionnaires.

Falling back to the last, most defensible garrison outside of the spaceport, the Imperial Fists met the onrush of the main force of the Venom Guard, led by Bociphus himself. The battle was quick and brutal, resulting in heavy casualties from both sides, but resulting in the eradication of the Imperial Fists and the destruction of the spaceport.

Immediately after the defeat of Imperial forces on Ioxus II, the Venom Guard vanished as mysteriously and suddenly as they had arrived, retrieving the strongest Cultists to serve as foot soldiers in their amassing forces and leaving the rest to starve on a burning planet.

Barthullogh Skirmish - 15 Nov Update
While consolidating their gains following several key victories in the northern quadrant of the Dalmian Cluster, the Venom Guard came under attack from a splinter fleet from a previously unknown Tyranid Swarm.

In order to refuel their vehicles and refit their armouries, the Venom Guard raided the Mechanicum storage facilities scattering the eastern hemisphere on Barthullogh. Stealing millions of tonnes of hard ammunition, explosive rounds, bolter shells, and any other salvageable component their heretics Tech Marines could find, the Venom Guard refilled their own depleted resources after several decisive conflicts.

During egress operations, the last transports of materials came under heavy attack from scattered Tyranid forces. At first suspecting a simple raid of a small Genestealer cult, the Venom Guard moved to intercept and destroy the threat in order to protect the valuable arms and ammunition they carried. Bociphus led ground forces into a lightning counteroffensive against the Tyranids, only to discover a much larger contingent than expected.

Under heavy fire from a number of Carnifexes and Tyrannofexes, additional spores rained down around the Venom Guard, disembarking swarms of hungering xenos. Fighting a fierce retrograde battle, Squad Eudeves and his noise marine brethren, aided by the Obliterator cults and Defiler Daemon engines, laid waste to the advancing Tyranids, enabling the embattled Chaos Marines to board their Thunderhawks and bulk transports, leaving the planet with a much-enhanced ability to continue to wage war in the Dalmian Cluster.

Skull Reaper
The Venom Guard, for the first time in centuries, emerge from the shadows to strike in full force. Led by the Wrathful as a unified military force, the Venom Guard spring their first attack on an unsuspecting Imperial Garrison world. Departing from the surface as swiftly as they have arrived, the Venom Guard mysteriously vanish in pursuit of their overarching goal. Trailed by members of the Invictors Space Marine Chapter and members of the Inquisition, the Venom Guard leave the devastation of the Dalmian Wars behind them to the planet of Hydraxus.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Bloody epic mate. I really like what you have done with this, the names are all unique (Bar Llud and Llod :grin:) and your small nippings of background are rather interesting. The Theta needs to be boarded at one point, now that, would be epic. Have some rep dude, I look forward to seeing more :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Very cool fluff, wanna see more, just one thing, shouldnt it be "squad members: Alpharius, Alpharius, Alpharius, Alpharius." if they're offshoots of the alphas? :L. Im kidding btw.

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback, guys :)

And, amusingly enough, in the fiction I've written where the Legionairres interract with others, they do refer to one another as Alpharius.

Sorry for the lack of updated, as I've been fairly busy >.< Hopefully I'll have more written up tonight!

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Unique. What else can I say, really? It isn't as vibrant as most people would go for, but it is certainly a nice scheme. I don't see any problems with it in all honesty bar the legs being slightly brighter, was that intentional?

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Updated 11 October.

Edit: weak, my 500th Post just said "updated."

I'll leave you with this comment in case you're ever feeling like you're having a shitty day:

Look on the bright side, it could be raining herpes.

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And as a teaser to those of you that follow...

Incoming, pictures of the actual miniatures of the Venom Guard (at least those that I have completed!) in the next couple of days

As a taste of what's to come (now, please keep in mind that I am by no means a great painter), I present:

The Wrathful

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Updated with the Battle of Ioxus II, the battle report of which is in the link.

Additionally, the first details of the Caverns of Despair have been added.

In addition, any mod that happens upon this, if you would be so kind as to change the name of the thread to "Venom Guard - Chaos Space Marines" I would greatly appreciate it. Thankya!

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Winzip for the compliment :victory:

Also, updated with the Barthullogh Skirmish, will be posting a BatRep to accompany the fluff here in the appropriate forum in a few days.

·
Registered
246 Posts
We need more

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those who ask shall receive! Albeit in a much delayed manner...

Added the portion on the Terminal of Destruction, although I don't have the file on hand at the moment with the individual names of the squads. I'll hopefully get around to it in the next day or so, as well as put together another battle based on an Apoc game I played last week.

Thanks for reading!

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right, as an update, I've spent my day today working together a few more additions to the history blurbs in the fluff.

I'll get them posted up tomorrow once I give them a nice solid read through.

Now, as readers, is there anything you'd like to see me go into detail on? Such as actions during the Heresy, anything in the 10,000 year gap between the Heresy and the Dalmian Crusades, etc?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts