Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if venerable dreads are even worth taking, they cost 60 points more than their less-venerable counterparts and only get their WS and BS improved by one, with no other stat improvements. The Venerable rule makes you take the second result if you choose to have your opponent re-roll, so statistically it really doesn't help.

But if by chance anyone does think them worth it, what is the optimal load-out for them? I run Blood Ravens and am thinking about including Davian Thule in my force (as a dreadnought) and I believe he would be venerable, in that he was a highly regarded Captain before he was interred in his sarcophagus. Also if anyone knows his loud-out from DOW II (which i have not played yet) THat would be cool if you could tell me what weaponry he has.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Didnt know they had Dreads in fantasy :p

But anyway, Thule either uses two CC weapons or one and an asscannon

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ohhh right man, i see i posted this in the wrong section by accident. I will move it, if i can figure out how to do that, that is...

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
dont think you can, you need a mod to do it

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
If you have a thread that needs the attention of a mod please just hit the report button in the top right and say why you think a mod should look at it. A quick "its in the wrong place" would ahve been fine- its not like your ratting them out and no-one gets in trouble... its just a tool that lets us stay on top of thinkgs more easily.
- T/S

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
definitely ven is better you have no idea how many times I've lived instead of blown up because of that "statistically unhelpful" rule they are fucking great and tear up everything in combat including other dreads

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
I was wondering if venerable dreads are even worth taking, they cost 60 points more than their less-venerable counterparts and only get their WS and BS improved by one, with no other stat improvements. The Venerable rule makes you take the second result if you choose to have your opponent re-roll, so statistically it really doesn't help.

But if by chance anyone does think them worth it, what is the optimal load-out for them? I run Blood Ravens and am thinking about including Davian Thule in my force (as a dreadnought) and I believe he would be venerable, in that he was a highly regarded Captain before he was interred in his sarcophagus. Also if anyone knows his loud-out from DOW II (which i have not played yet) THat would be cool if you could tell me what weaponry he has.
Venerable Dreadnoughts are expensive in points. The additional points of Weapon Skill and Ballistic Skill aren't that big a deal in my eyes - it's mostly the Hard to Kill rule that makes them worth looking at.

When deciding on which sort of Dreadnought to take you want to decide which role you want him to perform. If you're looking for a cheap transport popper, stay away from the Venerable Dreadnought and go with a normal Rifleman instead. If instead you're looking for something to Drop Pod in either a Venerable or Ironclad Dreadnought can be what you're looking for. Personally I've found a Venerable Dreadnought with a simple multi-melta in a Drop Pod to be quite a nasty pick, especially if he opts to go with a heavy flamer instead. This changes a bit if your army includes Vulkan however since you really don't want to be spending points on a model with a BS5 twin-linked multi-melta.

As for Thule being a Venerable Dreadnought I'd say it's pretty unlikely. In order to be interred in a Dreadnought at all you have to be a pretty notable individual, so merely being a "highly regarded" Captain probably isn't quite enough. Venerable Dreadnoughts tend to be the oldest of their kind (hence the name!) and are crewed by some truly ancient heroes. Just look at Bjorn the Fell-Handed - that guy's been around since the Heresy! While he's a bit of an extreme example it should give you an idea of the difference between a normal Dreadnought and a Venerable one.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Just look at Bjorn the Fell-Handed - that guy's been around since the Heresy!
*cough*don't forget he was part of the wolf guard to Leman freakin Russ!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Katie :victory: and the rest of you guys. Maybe I will make Thule as an Iron-clad, I have been meaning to pick up and Iron-clad box for quite some time.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Could just use the good old 'counts as' rules and model him how you want. Theres few people that could complain about a venerable body being used as an ironclad or a normal dread so long as you made it clear before the game.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I always take a Venerable; they're hard to kill, and when you roll as poorly as I average, needing a 2 to hit in shooting is a plus. As well, a WS of 5 is handy when assaulting something like an Avatar.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Yeah, i'm pretty sure he becomes a Venerable

Quote Directly Form Lexicanum:

'In the interests of canon lore, it is likely that Thule has attained the title of Venerable Dreadnought. Upgrading his Energy discipline will eventually grant this privilege.'

SGMAlice

·
Registered
924 Posts
A BS5 assault cannon is a good giggle from time to time.
I've actually been lucky enough to kill a Landraider with one before.
Once.
Which means with my dice-rolls they're almost as good as a lascannon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts