Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm selling up on my Warriors of Chaos, wanting a new and more interesting army. I wrote up this prospective list for Vampire Counts, since I kinda like the idea of them (big Underworld fan, as well as thinking that Vlad/Isabella is possibly the coolest piece of fluff for Fantasy or 40k and will certainly include them as soon as practicable).

Vampire Lord with Wizard Level 2, Red Fury, Heavy Armour, Enchanted Shield, Sword of Might and Talisman of Endurance

Level 1 Necromancer with Dispel Scroll

45 Skeleton Warriors
45 Skeleton Warriors

25 Grave Guard with Full Command, Great Weapons and Banner of the Barrows

Varghulf

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
So, I'm selling up on my Warriors of Chaos, wanting a new and more interesting army. I wrote up this prospective list for Vampire Counts, since I kinda like the idea of them (big Underworld fan, as well as thinking that Vlad/Isabella is possibly the coolest piece of fluff for Fantasy or 40k and will certainly include them as soon as practicable).

Vampire Lord with Wizard Level 2, Red Fury, Heavy Armour, Enchanted Shield, Sword of Might and Talisman of Endurance

Level 1 Necromancer with Dispel Scroll

45 Skeleton Warriors
45 Skeleton Warriors

25 Grave Guard with Full Command, Great Weapons and Banner of the Barrows

Varghulf

As someone who occasionaly breaks out the Vampire Counts, I would advise that you cut the second block of Skels... Add a few more the Grave Guard.. then add some Direwolves for more core choices, they work well as MSU road blocks and stuff (though with the Nagash Lists using Skeleton Bowmen Cav is a choice as well)

Also on a collecting frount I found that a Box of Skellintons and Box of Grave guard would build me 12 to 13 Grave Guard and 7 Skells. Which helps as the Skells run a touch cheaper than then Grave Guard

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I always like facing Ghouls the least.
Ghouls seem to be a really solid choice over Skeletons, and T4 is good, but medium/low initiative and no saves makes me leery of them as well as not really being a huge fan of the models (hence the focus on Skeletons; they're the choice I think is coolest and don't seem absolutely awful).

As someone who occasionaly breaks out the Vampire Counts, I would advise that you cut the second block of Skels... Add a few more the Grave Guard.. then add some Direwolves for more core choices, they work well as MSU road blocks and stuff (though with the Nagash Lists using Skeleton Bowmen Cav is a choice as well)

Also on a collecting frount I found that a Box of Skellintons and Box of Grave guard would build me 12 to 13 Grave Guard and 7 Skells. Which helps as the Skells run a touch cheaper than then Grave Guard
Thanks for the response; I would reduce the number of Skeletons, but 25% Core allowance (375pts) is pretty brutal shifting from WoC to VC (there are so many models!) and I figured really big units are a lot better to soak up the wounds taken from Instability. The general idea of the army would be the Skeletons hold people in place while the Grave Guard and Varghulf clobber them from the flanks.

Thanks for the tip on Grave Guard.

What is the prevailing opinion on Vargheists? I like the models, the fluff, and they seem pretty devastating on the offense as well as highly mobile but Vampiric (only regaining 1 wound per casting) and T4 with no saves as well as no way to overcome static combat res seems like a pretty huge downside.

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
I figured really big units are a lot better to soak up the wounds taken from Instability. The general idea of the army would be the Skeletons hold people in place while the Grave Guard and Varghulf clobber them from the flanks.
Ok, the problem with this is that Instability hurts all the units in the fight, so its best only to have one unit engaged in combat at any one time.

Now a block of 50 Skells, with a Vampire on the front rank and you will have plently of ablative wounds for the skells (and if you get the buffing spells off then the skells start to kill as well)

I never used a Vargheists, but they look like they should be able to work outside the normal 'core army block'

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, the problem with this is that Instability hurts all the units in the fight, so its best only to have one unit engaged in combat at any one time.

Now a block of 50 Skells, with a Vampire on the front rank and you will have plently of ablative wounds for the skells (and if you get the buffing spells off then the skells start to kill as well)
The issue I see with that is that to my mind, Undead don't seem like they're capable of winning combat with Skeletons; you need to bring another unit into the fight to actually do more than tarpit and score static combat res. If I'm wrong, great, but that's how it seemed to me - Ogres, Saurus, Chaos Warriors, Elf Spearmen or whatever will just eat Skeletons for breakfast.

Do you rate Vampires in units? I was playing around with the army book and wanted to experiment with a hero-level Vampire-heavy army to stack up Aura of Dark Majesty and then put the Screaming Banner, Fear Incarnate and Terror-causing stuff in, but Vampires seem so darn fragile for their points - it seems like they'll just die in the first or second round of combat unless you're fighting Goblins or Zombies or something. I really want to bring a bunch of Vampires though, that's a lot of the draw of the army.

I never used a Vargheists, but they look like they should be able to work outside the normal 'core army block'
Oh, goody! :so_happy:

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
The issue I see with that is that to my mind, Undead don't seem like they're capable of winning combat with Skeletons; you need to bring another unit into the fight to actually do more than tarpit and score static combat res. If I'm wrong, great, but that's how it seemed to me - Ogres, Saurus, Chaos Warriors, Elf Spearmen or whatever will just eat Skeletons for breakfast.
Without any buffs you are correct. But there are alot of good ways to make the better Mostly Via magic, but a Vampire in the unit is one of the best ways

[quote/] Do you rate Vampires in units?[/quote]
I love them, I find if iam not spending 50% of my army on Lords and Heros then I can spend some more... It was suggested on another fourm I occasionally live on that "Vampire Lord - red fury, quick blood, beguile, great weapon, talisman of preservation, OTS, night shroud, heavy armor, level 2 lore of vampires (level 4 if no other level 4 LoV caster)" is a good way to go..

Red Fury should be the to-go to power, and then add in a way to go first, and then with the rest of the points ways to keep them alive.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love them, I find if iam not spending 50% of my army on Lords and Heros then I can spend some more... It was suggested on another fourm I occasionally live on that "Vampire Lord - red fury, quick blood, beguile, great weapon, talisman of preservation, OTS, night shroud, heavy armor, level 2 lore of vampires (level 4 if no other level 4 LoV caster)" is a good way to go..
I hadn't thought of using Quickblood to mitigate the ASL on a Great Weapon... there's a thought!

I'd gotten mixed up with what the Nightshroud did, I thought it was (like last edition) a set of Light Armour but looking at it again, I'm a much bigger fan of it.

Red Fury should be the to-go to power, and then add in a way to go first, and then with the rest of the points ways to keep them alive.
Aw, that doesn't leave you any points for Aura of Dark Majesty :(

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
I'd gotten mixed up with what the Nightshroud did, I thought it was (like last edition) a set of Light Armour but looking at it again, I'm a much bigger fan of it.
It is quite fun!

Also I would advise full commands on the Skellington units, you want to keep the vampire out of Challenges, it needs to attack the weakest troops to give it more attacks to help win the combat. Which the Champ helps with, the Banner saves a Skell from combat res-death.

·
Registered
1 Posts
as a VC player, I would like to help, some of my earlier mistakes cost me games. the most grievous of these errors has to do with killing blow, according to the big red book, special rules only apply to the front rank (see predatory fighter). this makes huge blocks of Guards not as effective as they could be.

(ps i think that the special rules only affecting front ranks makes absolutely no sense btw... since there are many situations where it would make the model useless.)

one thing I will mention is caster blocks. having 5 banshees/wraiths in the front of a small unit (since the brb states characters cannot join ethereal but states nothing about ethereal joining) means that you can sink a necro in the second rank with little fear of reprisal. Its expensive, but since the bansee's are ethereal and can shoot their wails into combat....

lore of light compensates for most of the vampire counts shortcomings btw.

·
Mad as a sack of Squigs
2,035 Posts
What is the prevailing opinion on Vargheists? I like the models, the fluff, and they seem pretty devastating on the offense as well as highly mobile but Vampiric (only regaining 1 wound per casting) and T4 with no saves as well as no way to overcome static combat res seems like a pretty huge downside.
Vargheists are a Glass Hammer unit they work really well in my opinion in a unit of 3 with Champion deployed 1x3 (Troll Chariot-esque) I typically use these for wizard hunting and then causing havoc in the backfield.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts