Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm moving along with my painting and a thought occurred just occurred concerning varnish and basing. Is it better to varnish first and then base or base the mini and the spray the varnish? Also, what varnish is best for acrylics like the Citadel paints?

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
I do everything then "varnish" as the final step.

I use a Tamiya Matt, Semi-gloss or Gloss spray lacquer as my final coat. It is simply superb and makes a HUGE difference to the final look of the mini.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, you varnish the basing? Does that effect static grass? If so, how? Also, I'm just curious to know if the basing materials, for example the new Citadel basing textures, to an already varnished base.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
It's not bothered the static grass on the Vargheists I did recently. The thing is, with the Tamiya sprays the coat you put on is so thin it makes no difference to the material itself.

Those texture paints will go over just about anything I'd reckon, they are so thick !

It would only be a problem on a glossy finish base and if you're worried just give it a light sand.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I tend to base everything first, and I prefer to use the paint on varnishes, just can't get on with the spray varnishes at all, I have glued to varnished bases before and it seemed to take ok, but if your concerned it should be easy enough just to rough up the area you want to glue to first with a needle file or a blade before you glue to it

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'm a huge fan of mid paint varnish so normally I have sprayed 5 or 6 varnish coats before I finish painting then will base and varnish it again. Like TSoH said, static grass after though. Everything else is fair game. I would watch out on water as well since you normally want it to be shiney.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I do everything then "varnish" as the final step.

I use a Tamiya Matt, Semi-gloss or Gloss spray lacquer as my final coat. It is simply superb and makes a HUGE difference to the final look of the mini.
Is there a possibility for you to post a with/without pictures?
I've never varnished any of my minis... yet...

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
I've got some coming up in the next couple of days that I will be final coating. Thing is tho' the effect is very subtle in photos not sure how much you'll be able to see.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts