Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

In the guard codex it says for the vanquisher tank:
roll an additional d6 when rolling for armour pen.

In my view i roll 2d6 and get total and not 2d6 and pick highest right?

Thanks

·
Registered
494 Posts
Yup yup, That is how i read it too. Basicly a Gun with full range melta rule but with Ap2. not bad at all.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Yep 8+2d6 armour penetration, but not really worth it in my opinion... bs3, one shot, and no modifier to the damage table? You need to get lucky to kill a rhino a game.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Yep 8+2d6 armour penetration, but not really worth it in my opinion... bs3, one shot, and no modifier to the damage table? You need to get lucky to kill a rhino a game.
I couldn't agree more..it's quite possibly the worst choice in the entire Codex, or at least ties with the Punisher..effectiveness-wise.

·
CO 3rd Thoth ACR
486 Posts
depends, if your playing friendly a FW vanquisher with 4AT rounds 3HE rounds and co-axial heavy stubber is far from a bad choice.
I disagree that the IA Update allows you to use both types of ammo but if the people you play with are cool with it more power to ya.

But I agree a co-axil heavy stubber is very useful, when I remember to pay the pts for them, then remember to use it.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I'll just say that I disagree on what seems to be your consensus regarding the Vanquisher. It's ability to stop a Land Raider at long range on the first turn is extremely handy. If the big gun hits and penetrates (And odds are it will), it has a 50% chance of at least a mobility kill. And that's all I need. Sure, it depends on the dice, but I've failed to damage a vehicle at close range with 3 BS 4 Bring It Down Meltas, thanks to the dice. So I'll take my chances.....................

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
I'll just say that I disagree on what seems to be your consensus regarding the Vanquisher. It's ability to stop a Land Raider at long range on the first turn is extremely handy. If the big gun hits and penetrates (And odds are it will), it has a 50% chance of at least a mobility kill. And that's all I need. Sure, it depends on the dice, but I've failed to damage a vehicle at close range with 3 BS 4 Bring It Down Meltas, thanks to the dice. So I'll take my chances.....................
Yeah, it's pretty good at long-range anti-armour, but it does lack versatility; I suppose stuffing it with Heavy Bolters can aid in that (note that I never said the Vanquisher was bad, just the Punisher :>).
It's a bit pricey, but it certainly can get the job done, at a distance, with a good front Armour value.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Reading the update, it does appear that with a Lascannon and a co-axial Heavy Stubber even a Vanquisher becomes good. It gets a 75% chance to hit, instead of 50%, and the Lascannon is there to make sure it actually does a decent damage roll.
The Punisher is still useless, though.

·
Imperial Major
383 Posts
The Vanquisher is always in my list because I love the idea of the model and in my last game it destroyed a land raider and three crew first turn, then turned and destroyed a rhino. And to top things off it took the last wound off a demon prince who was about to run into my lines. We were both biting our nails during the invun save.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
I disagree that the IA Update allows you to use both types of ammo but if the people you play with are cool with it more power to ya.
you can't disagree, IA1 has rules for alternate ammo for all tanks, like leman russ carrying 8 rounds and you can have infernus, illumination, smoke and AT, the vanquisher is similar but only allows 7 rounds.

its all on page 203, nothing stops them being used with updated tanks.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts