Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, long time no see ;)

I have been thinking about an army with vanguards in it and I think I have found a playpal solution somehow..

Enough talk, more list!

Captain
- PF
- SS

10 x Tactical Marines
- Flamer
- Missle Launcher

10 x Tactital Marines
- Flamer
- Missle Launcher

(these will be my objeck takers)

10 x Sternguards
- 2 x Melta-guns
- Serg. has Lightning Claw
- Drop Pod w. Locator Beacon

2 x Land Speeders
- both have MM and Heavy Flamer

2 x Vindicators
- both have Dozer Blade

7 x Vanguards
- 3 x Lightning Claws
(Captain joins these)

8 x Vanguards
- 3 x Lightning Claws
- 1 x PF

Total: 1730

So that leaves me with 20 pts left to spend on something.. Any suggestions?
I know many ppl say that Vanguards are not really worth their points, but I can see some potential in using them in Drop pods insted of using jump packs.. Safe DS is always good..
Another reason is, that they have more attacks (and more power weapons) then their counter parts (the Assault marines).. Even though the Assualt Marines are much cheaper, these guys carrie alot of punch in them..

Cheers all :drinks:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I see two problems in this list:

1) Vanguard Vets have great punch but, arriving without Heroic Intervention they'll have to sit and endure enemy shooting. If you come against mechanised army - you still have to throw in two drop pods at turn one, and, while Sternguards can kill some armour, vanguards will just be sitting ducks before they manage to kill somebody, that's not the way to go, IMHO.

2) Vindicators together with Drop Pods mean that, while your cannons get into shooting position, your elite infantry already arrives "in his face". So you may end up throwing pie plates of death dangerously close to your own models.

Maybe I'm too harsh, but I think your list's units lack synergy at the moment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol you're not hash ;)

I can see your point with the Vindicators.. If I removed them, what would you suggest? Some devastors with some tank killing?

Witch other way would you suggest with Vanguards?

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
I suggest switching to BA or SW. Vanguard or overpriced and just asking for a major thrashing. If you want a elite jump army go with bloodwing, sang guard and Dante.

·
Registered
116 Posts
1) Devastators with missile launchers plus TLAC or las-plas Razorback allow you some horde control and antitank punch at the same time. But they'd be more expensive then Vindicators. Vindies would be actually fine as a part of full-mech list, but you'd had to go Rhinos instead of Pods. That was quite not what you was planning to do.

2) If you face horde, it's ok to drop-pod your list (2xVanguard or 1+1 of Vanguard ans Sternguard), but if you face wall of steel you need to drop Sternuard and something else capable of tank-killing. So you basically need 4th Drop-pod with something melta-carrying and deadly. MM Dread would be nice. But he'd be 4th Elite slot. So you should either start playing Blood Angels (their dreads are heavy support) or take Master of the Forge (allowing dreads as heavy support). Anyway, that'd ruin your fluff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts