Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm finally coming out of using Citadel Paints after my pledge not to buy from Games Workshop anymore so could I have some opinions of the painters who use these 2 paint ranges?

Coat D'Arms is also another option I had in mind.

Which do you think is the best with all things considered?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Ok, Vallejo make good paints and in the main they'll behave in the same way you are used to with the Citadel paints [I actually use a mix of the two ranges.] Their Game Colour range is also analogous in shades and names to the Citadel range making it an easy switch.

In my experience however, when I first tried out Vallejo 5-6 years ago, their metallics and their greens were pretty poor; this may have changed.

P3 use a liquid pigment as far as I can tell. I have a few of their paints for fine detail work in certain shades [whites and off-whites] because this gives a smooth strong colour. The downside is that this means the paint mixes differently [i'd suggest buying a proper thinning medium to use with them rather than water.] Also their range is based on triads for their own range. So to find equivalent citadel colours you'll have to do a bit of trial and error.

If you stop using citadel you will lose out on the foundation range though and imo this is a BAD thing. [I love their washes but these can be more or less replicated using a matte medium; for example liquitex.]

Honestly, the easiest switch is probably Vallejo, plus they're pretty cheap and easy to get you hands on. I wouldn't abandon Citadel completely though if they do the better paint for a colour/purpose you want.... that'd be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Hope that helps some?

·
Registered
164 Posts
well im currenly using two types of paint at the moment including GW paints.

these are the vallego and Gamecraft/Miniature paints

Im liking both at the moment, they both dry well and have a nice consistancy. they also mix well. Nice pigment levels to.
The vellego have have an advantage of a drip bottle so you can mix colors to the same match easily.
Gamecraft/Miniature Paints come in a glass jar which i like as ive found that it is the same size rim as that of my spray gun attachments.

·
Registered
332 Posts
With the exception of the foundation range and the washes (the washes in particular have really revolutionised painting IMHO), I've slowly been converting my paints towards vallejo. So far I've been quite impressed, significantly cheaper, and the drip bottles work nicely although you'll need a palette. The only negative I can think of is the one metallic I tried (brass) wasn't very brassy, more of a gold (why or why did GW stop doing brazen brass?) but it's not too big a deal.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I've been using P3 colours quite extensively, mostly Menoth white, but also Cygnar Blue and Cygnus Yellow. I'm really impressed with Cygnus yellow in particular, which is superior to any of the citadel yellows, and much easier to paint with.

Ask Odin's grandson about his use of the range in a Salamander army he's doing up for a client.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I use the Vallejo brass for gold, so I agree with el Mariachi.

I really like the P3 armour wash and I use a lot of Vallejo paints... I like the bottles and the paint is consistantly good.
That is game colour brass. Model colour brass looks brass. Same applies for bronze. I don't know why. BTW use model colour if you can, you get much more pigment for the same price, covers as GW foundation paints, even for light shades.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Personally i'd tell you to try a couple from each range and see how they feel to your own painting style. Or if both are just as good for you then probably availability in your area as having a nice place to resupply locally is always much more helpful.

As for the paints themselves, i like the vallejo range myself, but they have far too many to choose from lol, the only selections i'd preferentially go with GW is actually metallics and washes, i think they are good resources. So rather than limiting yourself to one range why not try all of them? i have so many different ones it's not even worth trying to sort out.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I use vallejo extensively, game colour is what I normally use, but now when I go to buy some paint I will get model colour as it is much better than any other paint I''ve tried. I would recommend it, but like moo said, I would try some out first to see which you like best, and buy them from then on.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have just started using vellejo paints. They are nice and cheap and very nice quality. The dropper bottle system makes the paints very easy to mix. The only down side that I found was the fact that you have to use a palette, and when I started I was always adding far to much paint and therefore wasting a load.

Skar

1 - 10 of 10 Posts