Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So painting a tomb kings army involves A LOT of gold..... Looking around online a lot of people use the vallejo liquid golds which look really nice, however they are alcohol based so I am unsure how they would act with my washes or infact the paints around it as it requires thinning with isopropyl alochol does it not?

Has anyone tried these? What are your thoughts on them? and how do they compare to acrylic golds?

·
Premium Member
6,544 Posts
They're designed to be used with acrylics, and they technically still are acrylic paints themselves since they are water soluble-- you just don't want to use water to thin them since it screws up the pigment in it. Apart from needing to thin them with rubbing alcohol, you just use 'em like normal paint.

I've used them before, and it really depends on the effect you want as to whether it's worth messing with or not. For large surface areas that are going to be gold, accept no substitute-- it's a lot smoother than anything you can do with a regular aluminum flake metallic paint. But for fine details, there's really not a lot of difference at the end of the day. You can also get a very similar effect with an airbrush, although putting metallic paints through an airbrush is not recommended.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I concur with "the son of horus"

I have used them in the past and are an excelent way to paint lots of gold very fast. I never did have much success using them with much finesse though, I find its best to use them just for basecoats and then do any shading, highlighting and effects with regular acrylics.

Although I find that for small details on gaming standard paintjobs, the high shine that you get with them you can simply do a block basecoat with them and there's no need to do anything else to them, the shine does the work.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay thanks for the feedback guys, better get ordering then :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.