Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On top of not being able to Ink, most people don't know how to wash either. This isn't too hard. Just like inking, You have to water this down lots. Waaaay more than Inks. They are already watery.

Washing is basically just like inking but it uses paints and the finish is less glossy which most people prefer.

Step one.
Use your brush to place the PAINT you want to use for the wash onto the table and mix it approx 1:6 with water.

Step two.
Drag out a line with a wet brush and let the paint flow down to even out.

Step three.
Water that down approx 1:3.
[

Step four.
Drag out out again and water it down about 1:2.

You now have a wash. Use this just like ink.

have fun.

Bloodhound.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
I add dish detergent... just a tad.

And, like Engelus, I keep pots of premixed inks and washes handy.

My brown wash pot is so large that I can dip minis into it to get a quick brown wash on them. It works great over a white primer coat, and takes the place of dark-lining as well.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Top quality member? Aaaawwwww. I'm loved.

Well the thing is, it depends on what you're painting anyway. Sometimes it would do good to add VPA or whatever else and other times you wouldn't even water it down.

Also, I'm pretty sure I mentioned this on another tute, but these tutorials (all of them) are the way I do them and people use them if they like the method and result. If they have another way, they could change a little thing like a wash and then continue on as instructed.
I read lots of tutorials and I hardly ever follow them the way they're writte. I almost always change a tiny section of it for my own personal effect.

So if you wanna add some pva to it, be my guest. I sometimes do it myself. But this is the way I wash/ink the most.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I enjoy most of your tutorials bloodhound, but I do kind of think this one could have been reduced to something like:

'Add water to paint, apply watered down paint to model' :laugh:

·
Registered
184 Posts
just a q.
instead of mixing, pulling part, mixing, pulling part, and mixing again, what would be a good ratio of water to paint for just the unmixed paint. i am gonna make a pot of black wash so i can shade better, also for inks, what would be that ratio so i could make a pot of ink wash.

BTW i used ink without the soap, and then with a dot of it on two diff models... i like the soaped one much better.

Thanks to all of you. :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts