Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
"Ok, so he kills stuff in combat! And he shoots stuff with Plasma! Isn't he just great? Well, no, he isn't, because you can't take Kroot any more. Oh, and it's a 3 Broadside cap for you. And 1 Hammerhead. And 1 Piranha squadron. Doesn't look so good anymore, does he?" He still looks good to me. I'm undefeated with him so I guess he works, and I have beaten two Abbadon armies using this strategy. So, Yes I will take a Tau hero who can kill stuff in CC and has the addition of extra Ap 2 plasma shots.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
The SW perspective on tau is Jaws, missiles, charge, tabled.
Bread and butter tactica for SW I hear!

Me and my gaming group always play the annihilation game type. XT-1984 you made a good point, Abbadon would be a problem if you hid him behind a building near an objective, but frankly I have never had to face him that way before. I have always been able to set up my very effective Tau gunline and pincer any opponent who tries to advance or deep strike.
Now it's making more sense. You sit in the corner and gun people down as they walk up to you. You probably are one of those tau that just start their turns out in the shooting phase. 2/3 of games are objective based, I suggest learning how to play your list accordingly. Annihilation is a joke!

·
Ancient Relic
2,430 Posts
Tau+Objectives=Devilfish...I'm ready to capture points :victory:
Try capturing an objective with a unit of Grey Hunters on it using that strategy buddy, see how it turns out. Honestly, you should try objective modes, because annihilation is a great pile of wank, requires no tactical thinking and can be won with a total DERP list.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Please start a new topic if you want to talk about Space Wolves and Tau...

On topic: Most people seem to agree that the best way to use Abaddon is with four Terminators or eight Khorne Berzerkers in a Landraider. But what about Deepstriking? A unit of ten Chaos Terminators (for almost the same price as the unit with Landraider) Deepstriking within 6" of an Icon so they don't scatter.

Do you think it can work? Behind some good cover then Run into it? Or next to a unit of CSM and use two Reaper Autocannons, the Combi-Meltas or Combi-Flamers to toast a unit of your choice?

The thing I dread about using Abaddon in a big Terminator unit is if he hits himself with Drach'nyen, and then his Terminators get badly beaten by Incubi, Assault Terminators, Lychguard or something like them. Then he falls back and either gets killed in a Sweeping Advance or will be under half strength so won't be able to rally.

Besides the Icon of Chaos Undivided, are there any good ideas how to improve the hardiness of the units Morale?

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
"Ok, so he kills stuff in combat! And he shoots stuff with Plasma! Isn't he just great? Well, no, he isn't, because you can't take Kroot any more. Oh, and it's a 3 Broadside cap for you. And 1 Hammerhead. And 1 Piranha squadron. Doesn't look so good anymore, does he?" He still looks good to me. I'm undefeated with him so I guess he works, and I have beaten two Abbadon armies using this strategy. So, Yes I will take a Tau hero who can kill stuff in CC and has the addition of extra Ap 2 plasma shots.
But you said you used 9 Broadsides and Kroot... so either you haven't played many games with Farsight, you cheat, or you play against crap armies (Farsight isn't even amazingly good in combat - he'll get beaten up by any Chaos character except perhaps Lucius, most Space Wolf characters; hell, many basic HQ units). Farsight's not a bad character apart from the fact that he takes away Broadsides, Hammerheads, Kroot and Piranhas.

And you say that you can capture objectives with FW in a Devilfish. Great! How much is that costing you again? Nothing less than 120pts, which is what it costs me for 5 CSM with a Meltagun in a Chaos Rhino.

I will have to try playing some objective based games soon. Because so far I'm 9-0 with my Tau army. Iv'e beaten IG, Nids, SW, Blood Angels and CSM with Abbadon and I have lost very few broadsides/hammerheads in doing so. "Now I shoot back. 3 Plasma Cannons kill all the Shield Drones on the Broadsides. 3 Lascannons blow up the Hammerhead. 3 TL-Meltaguns, and the Melta fire from my surviving Rhinos, destroy those Piranhas as they're in Melta range. In all the games I have played no one has ever come close to doing that much damage with shooting in an entire game let alone in one turn.
I think that you're playing crap players if you've played nine games and never lost a Hammerhead, 6 T4 Infantry models and 5 AV11 open-topped skimmers that are designed to operate within a 6" range, or equivalent (especially since you're fighting Guard. What's he doing, 30 Ogryns?). Oh, and the fact that you use the plural of Hammerhead makes me think that you're violating the Breakaway Faction rule. Might want to change that.

OP - Sorry to derail your thread.

Midnight

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Well I mean, coming into a thread about using chaos's posterboy effectively and saying 'dont bother because my tau wreck him and here's how' is generally bad form, and any ire drawn from CSM players is well deserved.

That being said is it safe to say the "best" way to run abby is a possessed LR with 8 zerkers? It's not 'competative' but its as close as you can get running him.

I do like the idea of DS'ing him with 10 termies mentioned above.....even if it'll just be avoided or shot to pieces :p Not like it'll be a competative game with him in it anyway!

·
Ancient Relic
2,430 Posts
Abaddon gets his ass handed to him by other special characters. Logan Grimnar destroys him pretty easily, Mephiston does it with ease, as does his royal assness Kaldor Draigo.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Logan Grimnar destroys him pretty easily
Did they change anything about logan in the last book? I remeber years ago when the 2nd edition SW book dropped (It was 2nd, right?) I used to have some pretty epic combats with abby and crew vs. logan and crew with my buddy. Seemed pretty even to me

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I don't think it's too one-sided with Logan vs. Abaddon - Abaddon has slightly less defensive capacity due to his 4+ invulnerable, but then again the Despoiler has a Power Fist that strikes at I6 with potentially ten attacks.

Midnight

·
Well That Was Unexpected
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I don't think it's too one-sided with Logan vs. Abaddon - Abaddon has slightly less defensive capacity due to his 4+ invulnerable, but then again the Despoiler has a Power Fist that strikes at I6 with potentially ten attacks.

Midnight
Abaddon has eternal warrior as well though. Does Logan? I've never faced him.

Plus he is Toughness 5 thanks to Mark of Nurgle, so he is a tough cookie.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Logan always Hits on a 3+ and would use Prefered Enemy every turn against Abaddon. He is an Eternal Warrior but he does only have three Wounds.

Personally I think it'd be a close fight unless Abaddon rolled a one with Drach'nyen.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Why not put a lash sorcerer in Abby's unit if you are going to deep strike? Or at least have the lash sorcerer nearby in a rhino so that people can't just walk away from the terminators?

I run two lash sorcs in rhinos full of berzerkers, and it is ridiculous how easy it is to pull people to me and then assault them.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Abaddon has the same Strength as Logan, and doesn't re-roll hits, but has more attacks and re-rolls wounds. His invulnerables save's only one worse, and he strikes first. I think that he'd kick Logan's ass, even if he does take a few wound doing it.

Midnight

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Abaddon has the same Strength as Logan, and doesn't re-roll hits, but has more attacks and re-rolls wounds. His invulnerables save's only one worse, and he strikes first. I think that he'd kick Logan's ass, even if he does take a few wound doing it.

Midnight
Logan would lose yeah, especially since he only has 3 wounds to Abaddon's 4.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
This might sound a little strange but i have had abby work well in a cc heavy csm list deepstriking. The thing is there was another target that also drew the opponents attention. I had kharn in a rhino with a squad of zerks, 2 more squads of zerks and 3 defilers, a dread(cc) and a squad of terminators to assist abby. The zerks all had icons. When you have unit up in the opponents face across the line the panic that sets in is only enhanced by the arrival of abby.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I've been using Abaddon more as my group plays higher-point games, and he is yet to disappoint. Yes, he usually slaps his face with his sword at least once a man, but even a roll of 3 extra attacks usually means he'll pulverize his target. Non-EW HQs with T4 get pulverized on the first save they miss, and with his Eldar-worthy Initiative, that usually means they don't get to hit back.

Against other heavyweights, It's a bit of a crap shoot. Logan, Mephiston, the Swarmlord and Calgar are just as strong and usually have better defenses, but don't have his volume of attacks. On the other side, they very often do a lot more to help their armies via strategic rules than Abbie.

Recently, I've been splitting him a lot from his unit in objective games and sitting him on the enemy home objective. His 4 wounds, EW and T5 mean it can take a lot to kill him, making the eney divert a lot of fire from your other troops to remove him. In my last game, he stood for 2 turns contesting a Salamander objective by himself, with half of the enemy army pelting him with twin-linked meltas, flamers, bolters and assault cannons, and he only took 2 wounds (from the bolters).

But assault MeQ's, tactical terminators, Nob bikers, Nobs and other stuff with low-to-average Inv saves with him and 5 times out of 6 he'll make you proud.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My friend is a space wolf player and I am chaos (90% Tzeentch). I use abbadon a lot in our 2500+ games since he always fields Grimnar in big battles. I can tell you this its all in how the dice fall that day. Some days I sweep Grim right off the map without ever taking a counter attack and some times Grim kills Abbadon never taking a wound. I think Grim is a better HQ by far but when they fight each other its a very even fight.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts