Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A massive withdraw of US "combatant" troops have left Iraq. As many as 50,000 "advisors" and logistical personnel will still be stationed in the country but not as active fighting units.

Is this the major turning point in the Iraq war that will see it draw to a close in the near future?

Do you approve of this withdraw of combat troops?

Will this cause the enemy to regroup and rally only for a third major conflict to erupt in the future?

What are your thought?

·
description whore
2,864 Posts
Seems a bit like pulling out after you've already cum to me.
Should' ve used a condom

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
It's definitely a good thing from where I'm sittin'.

I've heard many of the troops that were pulled are earmarked for deployment to Afghanistan after some time at home. So really, it's a matter of concentrating combat operations, I suppose.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
The enemy will rally their troops, and to some it might seem like the US does not have enough men to fight them, even if that aint the case in my opinion, but it might make more people join the enemy... This might become something far worse in my opinion, cause if the enemy has enough numbers, they might attack the US, or do something like the 9/11 again, and I really hope that it will never happen again...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
As a US taxpayer I'm sooo in debt whats a little bit more? :crazy:

Really I think it's a good thing, we can't have troops there forever, as it would then just be a satalite country of the US. We also can no longer afford to give cost plus projects to US companies to rebuild Iraq, cause we're going broke doing it.

Considering how much the war cost on a daily basis I'm looking forward to the prospect of public works projects going on so people can make money again.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
its good....as long as the UK pulls out as well, otherwise there gonna have a field day slaughtering us.......well more than they are already at least.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
The enemy will rally their troops, and to some it might seem like the US does not have enough men to fight them, even if that aint the case in my opinion, but it might make more people join the enemy... This might become something far worse in my opinion, cause if the enemy has enough numbers, they might attack the US, or do something like the 9/11 again, and I really hope that it will never happen again...

*sigh

You realize, of course, that US presence in the area was what brought the 'enemy troops' to Iraq in the first place? That Al Qaeda had no presence in the country until after the US ousted Saddam? That extremist recruiters had a field day convincing recruits to join using 'crusade' rhetoric?

Also, remember that 9/11 was perpetrated by a relatively small cell. That kind of attack does not require 'rallying the troops' at all.

If Al Qaeda or a similar group attacks the US, it won't be in a conventional manner. It certainly won't require more recruits than they currently have available.

·
Like a Bawss
4,111 Posts
All I'm going to say is that if all the 'combat troops' are out of Iraq then what the hell am I still doing here? Not to mention the other infantryman, tankers, and artilleryman that are still here.

Soldiers with rifles and armored equipment are still aplenty in Iraq, this was purely for publicity and not in any way true. Starting September first, my 'Heavy Brigade Combat Brigade' is getting its name changed to an 'Advisory and Assistance Brigade,' despite the fact that we have had 0 changes to personnel or equipment since the alleged 'withdrawal of combat troops.'

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
its good....as long as the UK pulls out as well, otherwise there gonna have a field day slaughtering us.......well more than they are already at least.
Stella, you're forgetting your previously mentioned point that we lose more men to Americans than we do to Terrorists. :laugh:

^^^^^^^ This is a joke, before anyone decides to jump on me ^^^^^^^

Nothing but good news to me. Should never have gone in in the first place. If there was any "justice" that didn't revolve around "So, how much money do you have?" then Blair and Bush would have been up on War Crimes trials as soon as we found out that the evidence for invading was total and complete bollocks. That's an old debate though, and I don't want to reopen it.

^^^^^^^ This, on the other hand, is not. ^^^^^^^

As other people have said, more tax money to spend on roads, hospitals and schools (we wish).

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
You forget, sethis, most major intelligence agencies thought that iraq was a credible threat. Also, you would have lost less men if you don't walk in front of the guns. Just kidding. But really, you have only lost 179 men. How many of those have we killed?

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
You forget, sethis, most major intelligence agencies thought that iraq was a credible threat.
No, thats what they told the public; doesn't mean that was the honest truth. If you want to invade a foreign power but you need the support of the masses of your own country, tricking or misleading them with something like: group so-and-so is believed to have nuclear weapons capable of attacking us, we must put a stop to this.

You don't have access to the same information as the people telling you this, and your less inclined to see it as a lie when there is a chance it might be true; so you go with the lesser of two potential evils and give support.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
So NATO and the UN are lieing?

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Yeah, that wasn't suppose to be posted, you are right about the UN. However, even the French intelligence agencies believed Iraq was a threat. NATO was split on how to move forword, from what I remember, not on the intel. If they didn't I would like to see the intel, I don't think you can get the exact intel, that would be ridicules, but some info would be great.

·
Banned
2,022 Posts
All I'm going to say is that if all the 'combat troops' are out of Iraq then what the hell am I still doing here? Not to mention the other infantryman, tankers, and artilleryman that are still here.

Soldiers with rifles and armored equipment are still aplenty in Iraq, this was purely for publicity and not in any way true. Starting September first, my 'Heavy Brigade Combat Brigade' is getting its name changed to an 'Advisory and Assistance Brigade,' despite the fact that we have had 0 changes to personnel or equipment since the alleged 'withdrawal of combat troops.'
True enough, just got off of Skype with my older sister and she's still stationed in Northern Iraq.

What do I think about this? I don't really care, we're going to get into another invasion anyway... and do it wrong again. = /

1 - 20 of 135 Posts