Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Urban city board project - update!

Before Christmas I got my Dad to raid his work and bring back three pieces of hardboard which are cut into three seperate pieces for storage reasons; together they're 5ft x 4ft which is a decent gaming table. I've been waiting for the good weather to come as I've always wanted a cool city style board; I don't mean a few buildings abandoned remotely but a board with roads, several builings and lumps or ruins about would be really cool.

Now the warm weather has come I decided to make a start. Currently I own six buildings which includes the mighty Shrine of the Aquila ruin. Out of those six two aren't painted and are actually larger buildings made from two kits. I ordered myself another Basilica recently giving me a total of seven buildings. I do own the moon craters too which add great terrain.

Firstly I got the unpainted buildings undercoated and then painted the first one dubbed "The Tower" codex grey. I've painted the steel supports up the side but I was going to leave it as it, 40k style cities are meant to be dull and dark. Opinions welcome on this one as on a smaller Basilica ruin I've painted the lights green and done the skulls too; which I'll do on the second Basilica waiting to be built. Here's what I've done:

So with progress started on the remaining buildings I made a start with my board. I got them together and drawn the road, the road is 6" wide which is enough for a tank to move down. I then masked the area off and sprayed it black, although I did spray the first one white as I had a plan of making strips from masking tape as the centre lines and then spray black over the white, the masking tape would leave the white underneath. I didn't bother doing that anyway as the 40k roads which I was going to buy is just a normal road with a path and the odd drain.

At the moment this is the only progress I've made as I've ran out of blac paint to spray over the white; I'll be getting some more tomorrow.

My next plans on the board is to mark off the road and then leave a 1" gap from the road side and place more tape. This will be the foot path and I'll just paint this fortress grey probably. Reason for the masking in case your wondering will make my job easier. I can just get the large tank brush and run it straight down the gap without worrying of getting paint onto the road or rest of the board. Once the path is done I'll draw on some drains and paint those onto the road. After I'll base a small are and see how it goes!

All opinions welcome, and suggestions I'm definately after as this is the first time I've done this so a new experience!! Thanks all! :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you're running low on paints for a job this size, try using regular latex paint from a paint store. they usually have off-tint returns on sale for a fraction of the cost.
Latex is nice also as you can add texture elements right after you paint as the latex holds it down like glue. Top that off with a drybrushing and its a quick and easy way to get an area done.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been cracking this bank holiday and sprayed the one board I did white black now. I've also added curb stones in codex grey.

The tower building broken in half, however not too worry as I've got another building now and the tower is more managable for transport.

Over the weekend I also built another ruin and started painting another; which I've got to finish tonight.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Those roads of yours are exactly the colour and design as how I did my CoD board, except mine are on 12"x12" or 24"x24" modular pieces..like a jigsaw that forms a very large board overall....means it can be switched around for some variety to the board layouts.

I also like that you've gone for some large Ruins...too many I've seen are just made the exact way it says on the box - pretty boring imo.

What % of Terrain are you shooting for?

Looks great!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments Hobo. I'm still coming up with ideas how to make the roads look more details instead of just blackness. Any ideas?

The rules say quarter of the board so I'm going for that, I do have the moonscape craters too ;)

Oh, here's some progress. I've done a little more work recently now I've finished all the roads off. First I got myself some wood glue and pasted it over one section of the board:

I then covered it in modeling sand and shook off any excess and let it dry:

Finally I used some green flock for grass:

I've not quite finished this yet. There's some areas of the board showing through which need to be covered and the grass looks odd, so I've got some darker flock which I'll add which looks like soil. In the mean time I'm going to make the roads look like roads instead of black paint with grey stripes.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Looking good! When I made my first Board I glued Rubble etc to the Board, but we learnt that Models would fall over a lot, so on my newer Boards I keep them 'clean' and just make individual Rubble Piles/Barricades that can be placed wherever...much easier to move around. Those Moon Craters are great also for DT etc.

With the Roads I used a ton of those lightpoles and raised the Curbs up to add 'character', plus the Roads are zigzagged so firing lanes are harder to find. Also added some parkland just to break the Board up.

With the Buildings I added Walkways between some, and one of the Manufactorums is huge...I think it took about 18 sets to make it - 5 storeys in part over a 4'x4' area.

CoD Boards are a fun project...I fully painted it as well, took months but well worth it.

keep up the good work, well worth the effort.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! I was thinking of some rubble bases maybe, but I've got the craters already which look good.

I do have some bases I was going to use for buildings but I could flock them as park areas maybe?

Oh, you got any pics of your roads?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Looks sweet so far.

Thanks! I was thinking of some rubble bases maybe, but I've got the craters already which look good.
I've got a cool tip for making rubble for you:

all those frames leftover from the buildings can be cut up with side cutters into small bits and then piled up (for big piles make a general shape out of clay, then start piling. Alternatively get a cheap hand-mincer from the internet or somewhere and use that (much easier, but I wouldn't really use it for making sausages and burgers afterwards). When it's piled up it works quite well, especially if you put the odd mutilated bit of spare building in there; use lots of textured paint afterwards and the effect is even better (B&Q, Homebase, etc.).

What you could do is put the buildings on bases, but put piles of rubble here and there (even on the building maybe for shell damage) to extend the building footprint and create more areas for infantry to hide behind

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Cutting up sprues was exactly what I did for adding 'filler' to my Rubble Piles, especially to enhance the fact that the Runis superstructure had to go somewhere, so smashed Girders plus bits of Flooring, electrical wiring etc.

@ Mercer...I'm not really into photos and such, but as I said earlier I used the same colours as yours, but because I had a huge board to cover (12' x 6') I had zigzaged roads with several intersections.

One tip as far as actual game-play goes...make sure some (I would say majority) of the Ruins are away from the board edge. I've seen so many CoD boards where every Ruin is on the edge, talk about boring.

Some of my Ruins also have 'walk-throughs', say an elevated Thoroughfare between 2 Spires, or even just a wide gap in the center of a large Ruin that has taken a direct hit, so the battle can flow through and not just around the Ruins....great for Buildings that are located on the board edge.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks sweet so far.

I've got a cool tip for making rubble for you:

all those frames leftover from the buildings can be cut up with side cutters into small bits and then piled up (for big piles make a general shape out of clay, then start piling. Alternatively get a cheap hand-mincer from the internet or somewhere and use that (much easier, but I wouldn't really use it for making sausages and burgers afterwards). When it's piled up it works quite well, especially if you put the odd mutilated bit of spare building in there; use lots of textured paint afterwards and the effect is even better (B&Q, Homebase, etc.).

What you could do is put the buildings on bases, but put piles of rubble here and there (even on the building maybe for shell damage) to extend the building footprint and create more areas for infantry to hide behind
Thanks I may give that a go :)

Cutting up sprues was exactly what I did for adding 'filler' to my Rubble Piles, especially to enhance the fact that the Runis superstructure had to go somewhere, so smashed Girders plus bits of Flooring, electrical wiring etc.

@ Mercer...I'm not really into photos and such, but as I said earlier I used the same colours as yours, but because I had a huge board to cover (12' x 6') I had zigzaged roads with several intersections.

One tip as far as actual game-play goes...make sure some (I would say majority) of the Ruins are away from the board edge. I've seen so many CoD boards where every Ruin is on the edge, talk about boring.

Some of my Ruins also have 'walk-throughs', say an elevated Thoroughfare between 2 Spires, or even just a wide gap in the center of a large Ruin that has taken a direct hit, so the battle can flow through and not just around the Ruins....great for Buildings that are located on the board edge.
Generally when I put the buildings on the board I make sure they're at the road sides so this keeps them away from the sides pretty well. With them packed together it makes a close knit small city setup.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Fix your Bandwidth problem sir, I need ideas for my own Board im making soon with mates, City based Obviously :)

If your Modelling is as good as your Army Building, I REALLY wanna see your city!

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
not sure if this is something to consider also mercer, but if you add an entire layer of Polystyrene to your board, you have endless ability to carve in roads, cracks/crevices or rivers? :)

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fix your Bandwidth problem sir, I need ideas for my own Board im making soon with mates, City based Obviously :)

If your Modelling is as good as your Army Building, I REALLY wanna see your city!
Will be fine tomorrow. It's all these bat reps I keep putting up every where lol.

not sure if this is something to consider also mercer, but if you add an entire layer of Polystyrene to your board, you have endless ability to carve in roads, cracks/crevices or rivers? :)
Originally mate I was thinking of doing something like that but a lava board instead. I abandoned the idea as my days of making Turtle bases from Blue Peter have long ended so I went basing on board, which I can't really use polystrene for now unless I just put it over the top and change it.

I can't see them, :(.

It says
Yeah Photobucket bandwidth limit has kicked in. Gets reset tomorrow.

I've come to the conclusion I'm going to have to paint this. Even though I've used wood glue to stick the basing down it's coming off as I find stuff over the floor which really does upset the better half :angry: . So I'm going to paint over the basing which should seal it and then flock it where I need to. More bad news is a ran out of basing and brought some more but they didn't have the stuff I used :headbutt: do I've got some other stuff, but with it all being painted it should be fine :search:

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Nice progress! Are you keeping the sand brown, or you going to turn it into gravel with some grey/black goodness! :)

Keep us posted! :)

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
What scenary are you buying? ^.^

For my table i have planned, i summed up like 150 pounds of GW scenary, then all my mates were like... To crowded... So i need to know roughly the scale of scenary used.^.^

1 - 20 of 26 Posts