Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Heretics!

Everyone has had some time when one model, against all odds and seemingly blessed by the dice gods, has caused WAY more damage than was to be expected by either you or your opponent. I want to hear those stories and what you've done to commemorate those soldiers! When I was younger, if a model did especially well against a friend's army I would ask for a head or some other fitting body part out of their spare bits to adorn my hero's base.

Most recently, I had a 10 man Assault squad drop pod RIGHT IN FRONT of a Vindicator, Forgefiend, Helbrute and a rhino embarked tactical squad. Despite losing the whole squad by the beginning of turn 3, the sergeant practically solely destroyed both the Helbrute and and Forgefiend. He even made it right to the edge of the objective before finally dying in the second round of a challenge against a fairly standard CSM sergeant. Of all the cover/armour saves to fail....

He will be getting a converted backpack to carry spare melta bombs and I figure once it's time to do the bases for my squads I'll put some slagged metal debris around his base...potentially with some heated effect to the edges to look like it was melta'd.

What's YOUR favourite story of (unlikely) awesome from games past?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Ages ago Playing a game dropped in Kommandos that got its bum ripped out, Miraclously (spelling fail.) One was left, the one with the stikkbomb modelled on it, he ran across and was able to take out a 5-man SM squad pop its rhino . My opponent was so pissed he aimed all his force towards him while he was alive meaning the rest of my green tide was able to munch. He was shot at by 2 dev squads and 2 Normal bolter squads. Epic rolling on my part and such failure on my opponent, he then died from a nasty case of powerfists from the enemy captain SM man, He was godsmacked.

I just remebered this :B I think Im going to remodel him with a mazzive knife like
rambo...

The other was a wierdboy taking out 4 squads of Dark eldar that was impressive.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
I had a Thunderwolf TH/SS Wolf Lord survive 3 turns of Broadsides, Crisis Suits, and Fire Warriors shooting at him as he charged across the board. He then tripped in CC and died :p

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just remebered this :B I think Im going to remodel him with a mazzive knife like
rambo...
Nice! Big knives make sense for Orks.

He then tripped in CC and died :p
ha! Gotta love when you make every damn roll just to lose the one before you get to attack. Sometimes, those dice are just jokers.

Another time a buddy had a GK terminator on the 3rd level of a building while I had a Furioso at the bottom. The dude jumps down, survives the ridiculous impact test, flames my Furioso's rear armour and blows it up. Righteous landing in a ball of fire!!

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
The Tau player was close to rage quiting :p. Then he rolled a whole pile of 6's and I countered with a pile of 1's. Course by that point the rest of my army was in his face too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
my single necron warrior survived a volcano cannon blast and being attacked by a 10 man sm assault squad to die on a dangerous terrain test.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Dark Angels sergeant has killed a Painboy in a challenge with his Chainsword, tipping the combat (removing FnP from the Warboss was pretty huge) and running down the unit, he's won games by taking Objectives as the last man standing, he's blown holes in battle tanks with his Plasma Pistol, his armour scored from the hundreds of shots that have failed to do lasting damage, including Battle Cannons and Warscythes.

He's the man.

Midnight

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Dark Angels sergeant has killed a Painboy in a challenge with his Chainsword, tipping the combat (removing FnP from the Warboss was pretty huge) and running down the unit, he's won games by taking Objectives as the last man standing, he's blown holes in battle tanks with his Plasma Pistol, his armour scored from the hundreds of shots that have failed to do lasting damage, including Battle Cannons and Warscythes.

He's the man.

Midnight
He should be a Captain by now! :)

·
Spanner in the works...
5,349 Posts
My legendary Scout Squad. From the old DA codex, these bad boys tooled up with nothing more than bolt pistols and close combat weapons (sgt had a power sword), took down a fully tooled Carnifex back in 4th ed (back when those things were actually scary).

Oh, and maybe not quite so underdog, but my Whirlwind wiping an entire 12-man squad of Dire Avengers was pretty hilarious.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I recently had a 5 man group of Nobs and a Warboss in a Trukk go through a ton of stuff.
Their trukk blew up first turn, rolling a KAREEN on Ramshackle, sending them 11 inches towards DA bikers, who then assaulted them. After losing two Big Choppa Nobs, the PK nobs and Boss smashed the Bikers, then assaulted a DA Librarian and Tactical Marines next turn.

After narrowly evading a Force Sword strike, the Boss insta-killed the Librarian in a challenge.

The mob eventually got whittled down and finally died to Scout fire and a Scout Sergeant Power Sword.

To represent their bravery, the Nobs and Boss will be armed with Cy-Bork bodies from now on.

Also, I had an Ork Boys unit lose an assault to Terminators while under 10 models with no boss-pole, yet rolled double 1s for moral. They came back to kill the terminators next turn.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well, I had a game where an Assault Terminator and Ajax were fool enough to assault a Raider with Splinter Racks and Kabalite Warriors. 14 hits, 5 unsaved wounds. On Overwatch.

Or the Lone Wyche who rolled double ones on her leadership and then manned a heavy bolter on a captured bastion, gunning down Orks.

Or the lone Wyche who tanked 6 Fire Warrior shots with Feel No Pain in the open. What a boss.

And then there's the Scourge who always runs away but is sure to blow up a tank or kill a squad leader as he flies off into the sunset.

You see, it's the absurd spite of my troopers that makes me love them.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Back when I played Raven guard, my opponent had two vindicators on his back line which were set to shell the hell out of my vanguards. He also had a 10 man devastator squad nestled between the two to avoid their rear armour being exposed (They were kind of in a T shape)

Anyways, after much movement and a lot of my army being out of range, I declare I am shooting with a scout squad (all armed with snipers, no rockets). Only one is in range, and it's a regular guy (so BS 3, not 4). He shoots, hits, rends and then gets another 6 for the penetrating hit. Gets a 6" "Explodes!" result and wipes out half the devastator squad (and possibly a few more guys, I can't remember.) Needless to say, my opponent was not impressed, especially when the second vindicator died a turn later.

He was the only scout I was ever bothered enough to paint...

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This stuff is too good.

After reading Deus' story about his scout shot, I am reminded of why the Vindicator didn't eat the assault squad in my initial post.

My scouts lucked out on their outflank rolls, came up behind the Vindi and neutered it's only weapon on a lucky snap shot. It's the ONLY time that friggin' missile launcher has ever done something for me of any real damage.

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
Tuffdreg, one of my ork nobs is rightly feared in my gaming circle. Stat wise he;s a nob with eavy armour and a power fist. I have 2 other nobs with the same statline but something about Tuffdreg just makes him incredibley killy. Maybe having only one eye, one hand and one leg makes you just a bit more gnarly.

In 4 x 500 point games he and his squad have killed 2 whirlwinds, 1 razorback, 1 unit of firwarriors, 1 devestator squad, 1 unit of blood angel assault marines, 2 tau battlesuits, 1 unit of grey hunters, a space marine captain and a handful of long fangs. He has a habit of wading through the incoming fire and losing loads of boys but refusing to fail his own leadership tests. In a recent apocalypse game Tuffdreg's boys accounted for Logan Grimnar, 4 space wolf teminators, Ragnar Blackmane and his 3 wolf guard bodyguard, a lone wolf, a techmarine and a unit of light imperial walkers. That's 988 points worth of kills caused by a unit with a points value of 117points. So far his boys have caused more damage then any other unit in my army, and my army includes a stompa. He now has a banner waver which accompanies his mob into battle.

·
Registered
936 Posts
My vindicator. Played a 3 way game at 1850 points against a friend and his son, so go figure it was them against me! But the kid dropped a 11 man death company and dante and sang guard right next to eachother and he shot and didnt spread them out. 2 pie plates killed everyone except lamartus. Poor guy, but he did learn a valuable lesson I hope.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Hmmm let's see here.

I had one of my Death Korp sgt's have a stare down with a warboss, and armed with his power fist managed to kill the beast (He only had 2 wounds left, and I hit and wounded with both attacks), and the Sgt managed to live since the boss missed with 3 attacks and then rolled snake eyes to wound. In the next round of the same combat, he then challenges the Nob in the squad, which accepts and then proceeds to pulverize him as well, walking away from the combat with just 8 other men out of the 50 men that went into the combat, but they blunted the charge of 40 orks, 2 nobs and a warboss. For their glorious victory they are currently being painted up.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Just remembered another incident with my Necrons.

Playing against Dark Eldar in 5th, I had a 10 man unit of Warriors with a Cryptek. A unit of Scourges Deep Strike in with poison weaponry and gun the Warrior Squad. Everyone but one single Warrior die due the shooting, who passes its moral test.

Because it survived, it enabled reconstruction to occur. Half of the Warriors got up (no res-orb) along with the Cryptek. Next turn, the Warriors gun the Scourges down to 3 (from 10), and force them to flee.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
My havoc squad champion once killed a dreadknight by melta bombing it for 2-3 turns, after the squad weakened it through shooting.

Also once I had a cryptek kill a space marine terminator seargent.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Because it survived, it enabled reconstruction to occur. Half of the Warriors got up (no res-orb) along with the Cryptek. Next turn, the Warriors gun the Scourges down to 3 (from 10), and force them to flee.
This is the appeal of Necrons to me. Zombots rule!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts