Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that when most create their own unique Chapter of the Adeptus Astartes they just choose the unknown origin?

I know I'm guilty of this when I first started my own; but I did it because I couldn't figure out how to do my chapters origin because I lacked the knowledge so I would just say "Origin Pending Investigation"

But seriously there are many, many 40K fans with their own chapter who just say origin unknown and they just roll with it. It just seems like a cheap way out of doing something or anything creative in my opinion.

I'm not targeting anyone specifically its just that I notice its actually a pretty big trend.

Now I like it when people describe their origin and state that it is unknown to the Imperium out of secrecy or isolationism because yeah those are awesome details that can make your fluff strong.

Does anyone know what I'm getting at or do I just sound like a total fluff nazi? Maybe I'm just taking homemade fluff to seriously and this actually more of a nagging rant :shout:

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
This is my opinion: Never discus the fact that you moight be an fluff nazi, that never ends in a good way.

Ok, lets get to the actual point...

In my opinion it is ok to have unknown origins, thats cool, cause who knows, maybe the chapters files burned away in an "accident", and no one had enough time to give the chapter a call and ask them, and then no one gave a shot about it, and it was a forgotten matter, known to no one...

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Well there are a few reasons. I think the primary one is laziness, the fact that you can just skip the first few hundred years of your Chapter until they go to blah-blah-blah or fight so and so. Another is that your Chapter does not have to suffer any ailments, like many of the First Founding Chapters are forced to go under, such as the Red Rage/Black Death of the Blood Angels, the Wulfen of the Space Wolves or the Hunting of the Fallen for the Dark Angels. It also adds to a more mysterious feel, I mean if your Chapter has lost its Founder, do you not think a galaxy spanning search would not be epic? :grin: Doelago: Nothing wrong with that term, a good few people call themselves such, even one or two Moderators. Nothing bad will happen, I assure you both.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
Ok, then everything is K, thanks DA:biggrin: +rep for some random reason...

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well there are a few reasons. I think the primary one is laziness, the fact that you can just skip the first few hundred years of your Chapter until they go to blah-blah-blah or fight so and so. Another is that your Chapter does not have to suffer any ailments, like many of the First Founding Chapters are forced to go under, such as the Red Rage/Black Death of the Blood Angels, the Wulfen of the Space Wolves or the Hunting of the Fallen for the Dark Angels. It also adds to a more mysterious feel, I mean if your Chapter has lost its Founder, do you not think a galaxy spanning search would not be epic? :grin:
:clapping: Well said but yeah thats what I am pretty much getting at. Most seem too choose the unknown origin as a sort of get out jail free card and avoid writing something what could easily be an invaluable piece of fluff.

Another reason I think most do it is because they want to avoid being apart of the established geneseed stock of the loyalist marines. So when they choose the unknown they escape having to write up their origin, they have no parent chapter or primarch that they can be linked to or suffer those ailments of the first founding. That seems to make their fluff somewhat more weak in my opinion especially when concerning or being mixed in with GW's established fluff.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
then again they may put unknown founder but the writer may well be setting the reader up for something special and reveals the founder at a later date.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I tend to think that a lot of people just don't know the fluff yet. The first thing I decided to do upon choosing Dark Angels was to create my own successor and had little or no knowledge of the universe they were going to be in. Even now they are of an unknown founding, but thats actually apart of the fluff for them as were formed together by warp beings and changed because of the Lion's impression in the Warp (quite a long story really, and a bit of a stretch. artistic freedom :p ) so no one had any idea they existed until they showed up and started liberating worlds under seige from daemons and xenos. Thus they don't have a founding as their time of founding is unknown to everyone else but them.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Just a point to concur with previous statements of "the chapter's history might have burned in an "accident"."... All chapters whose origins are unknown had their records stored on file on the Librarium planet of Alexandria Prime. The Libraries of Alexandria frequently experience "accidental" fires, due to the fact they have not digitized most of their records, and in the few instances where they have, the Librarians and Lexicans have gotten slack on computer etiquette, and frequently drink fountain drinks and can drinks by the cogitator stacks. The number of spills and electrical fires involved indicate perhaps a need to re-staff the Librarium... Or perhaps new chapters need to stop sending their meeting minutes and registry books to the Librarium at Alexandria Prime...

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Maybe people just don't want any of the 'baggage' that would come with a defined Primogenitor? Not only can you avoid geneseed defects, but you can also remove any ideology that either you, or readers, might not like. EG. Let's say that someone wants a genestock that is fully functional and quite common, but doesn't have any wierd psychology (like IFs or DAs); this would suggest UM. However, they don't want to get involved witht he Ultra-bashing, so they say 'Origin unknown'. Just an example, just a thought...

GFP

1 - 10 of 10 Posts