Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys this is my first dark angel list, and i dont have my notepad with me at the time of writing so bear with me.
HQ
company master
power weapon
plasma pistol=130
--------------------------
command squad
plasma gun
company champion
apothecary
standard bearer=175
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
TROOPS
tactical squad
5 added marines
heavy bolter=175
tactical squad
5 added marines
missile launcher=175
-----------------------------------------------------------sub-total=655
thats it so far, 345 points to go and i have no idea what to get. please help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi guys this is my first dark angel list, and i dont have my notepad with me at the time of writing so bear with me.
HQ
company master
power weapon
plasma pistol=130
command squad
plasma gun
company champion
apothecary
standard bearer=175
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
TROOPS
tactical squad
5 added marines
heavy bolter=175
tactical squad
5 added marines
missile launcher=175
-----------------------------------------------------------sub-total=655
thats it so far, 345 points to go and i have no idea what to get. please help.
Hi there - i'm new to this forum (my only second post) but if you don't mind me throwing my oar in - i have a few suggestions, Dark Angels are a big love of mine.

First up - if you want to take two 10 man tac squads then i'd really consider taking use of that extra special weapon - be it flamer, melta or plasma to give them a bit of extra special hitting power.

Have you got any rhinos you can put them in? For 35 points something that puts armour around them and then motors around the board they're brilliant. As it stands, your troopers are slogging it on foot - and if you want your tac squads to be shooting those hvy weapons they're likely to not even move. IF you need to cross the board to capture that objective you could be doing a lot of running. Even if you want them to guard an objective, they can do it much safer sat in a rhino - and still have two guys firing out of the top hatches...

At the moment, i'm not sure your list is taking much advantage of the qualities the DA codex has to offer - you could build that same list with a space marines codex and probably do it cheaper.

With 1000 to play with there's not much that room, but personally i find you can't go wrong a unit of terminators. DA terminators are (i think) unique in that they're the only terminaors that can mix close assault and ranged weaponry as they wish.

That mix up can really give you hte edge in a fight and add to their survivability.

Plus, if you swap your captain for Belial and give them the Deathwing Banner for 25 points, your Terms become troops and everyone gains +1 attack - bargain!

my favoured terminator loadout is: x2 with Thunderhammers and storm shields / x1 with heavy flamer and power fist / x1 with chain fist and deathwing banner / x1 with pair lightening claws - i find that the Storm shields (even if they're inferior to standard Space Marine ones) help the squad survive plasma / las-cannon blasts to get close - then the heavy flamer gets to roast them AND then i get to charge usually with 4 attacks each!

Not forgetting of course DA terminators can arrive on turn 1.

I realise this is turning into a bit of an epic post but the flip side to consider is the ravenwing. I've never really got to grips with working them efficiently, so i can't offer much advice - but a 65 point speeder is brilliant for nipping around the sides and stealing objectives at the end!

Alternatively the bikes are just as good and come with teleport homers (and Scout rule - again a DA special) which is great for getting your terms in their face.

So sorry that's so long - with your current list i'd probably spend the 345 points along the lines of;

5 Deathwing - 215 (if you can mix in a few Thunder hammers / Lightening claws or a heavy flamer in there then brilliant)
1 Rhino - 35
1 Predator with hvy bolter sponsons (95)

= 345pts

Dark angel tanks are just as good as anyone else's so if you can i'd get a bit of armour in your list to give it some durability.

I put the Pred in above because he fitted the points limit, but ideally i'd go for a Vindicator with all the trimmings (ex armour, dozer shield etc) at 145 points. Alternatively you could go for a dreadnought - less tough but more flexible and can pin combats down for ages.

ok - i hope that helps, like i say i'm only really just getting to grips with my own Dark Angels and i'm sure there are wiser minds here that can help! I don't usually play at 1,000 but if it helps i can show you my current 1500 or 2000 list.

happy hunting...

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks for the help blueskizid, unfortunately im a complete noob when it comes to dark angels:laugh:.
:biggrin: my pleasure - i feel the same about so many things.... i think the best advice i've had is focus on what and how you want to play and just do that!

It's no good having the 'perfect' list if you don't really like the way they perform.

To my mind the Deathwing / Ravenwing element are the special bits about the Dark Angels, but i've had equally great games just playing with the normal 'green marines' and taking it to the foe.

have fun exploring it!

Not sure if this helps, but here's my current 2k list which i think i'm going to stick with for a while:

HQ Captain Belial w/power sword (130)

Troop / Elites: Deathwing + (x2 Thunder hammers/Storm shields) + Hvy flamer +chain fist + Deathwing banner (250)

Troop/Elites: Deathwing + (x3 Thunder hammer/storm shield) + power sword + cyclone missile launcher (235)

Eites: Venerable Dreadnought + plasma cannon (145)

Elites: Dreadnought + twin-las cannon (145)

Troop: 10 man tactical squad + melta gun + missile launcher + powerfist (210)

Dedicated transport: Rhino + dozer blade (40)

Troop: 10 man tactical squad + plasma gun + las-cannon + power sword (215)

Dedicated transport: Razorback + storm bolter (55)

Fast Attack: Ravenwing Attack Squadron - 6 bikes + plasma gun + melta gun (245)

Fast Attack: Ravenwing support squadron: Land speeder + multi-melta + heavy flamer (65)

Heavy Support: Predator + twin-linked las-cannon (105)

Heavy Support: Vindicator + dozer + ex armour (145)

The rough plan being the bikes (in either 3 or 6 strong unit) scout ahead at the start, Belial plus the first Deathwing deep strike in on their homers on turn 1 ready for a dust up in turn 2. I'll use the bikes to shield the terminators while they're vunerable in turn 1.

Then the vindicator and the rhino squad will be advancing in support with the ven dread for company.

The speeder will either accompany them or start skirting around the edge looking to melt any big tanks at the back in turns 3 or 4. Alternatively it will flame any deep striking units.

The other term squad will probably start in my deployment zone and help guard the rear - or depending on the terrain might keep off board for deep striking.

The final tacitcal squad, dreadnought and pred will all guard the rear.

I've always had great success with my predator by keeping it armed with just one turret weapon. He either gets completely ignored and then spends the game happily driving about and shooting every turn or he attracts so much firepower other more expensive units inevitaly get closer to their targets for the real clobbering!

I'm toying with swapping the second normal dreadnought for a Terminator chaplain to accompany the second Deathwing squad. We shall see.
cheers!

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
The greatest tragedy of the current Dark Angels codex is that without making use of the deathwing or ravenwing, you are honestly better off looking into using the regular space marine codex. Having said that, I personally prefer to stick with the chosen codex someone has made their list with, since you did choose that one after all.:biggrin:

HQ
company master
power weapon
plasma pistol=130
I would suggest dropping the plasma pistol from your captain, maybe even consider swapping his gear out for a pair of lightning claws. An extra shot is always nice, but plasma does run you the risk of putting a wound on your company master before the enemy potentially puts more on him. No good doing part of your enemies job for him/her.

Having said that, an extra bolt pistol shot is also nice, lacking the risk of the plasma pistol but taking with it the higher strength. It doesn't cost you anything, and when paired with the power weapon gives the master another attack to make use of. A pair of lightning claws, on the other hand, can give you re-rolls in combat which can make the master that much more deadly.

command squad
plasma gun
company champion
apothecary
standard bearer=175
This unit I would very much advise against; not to many points in one place, but to much gear and not enough bodies. Break it down and each of these guys is running you near the cost of a codex marine terminator but without the better saves.

I would suggest dropping one of the three character upgrades, though of the three would suggest keeping the apothecary to retain feel no pain. From there I would go on to suggest swapping the plasmagun out for a meltagun or flamer, and if you went with the meltagun then I would suggest getting a powerfist for the squad over the champion. Your going to have enough power weapon (or equivalent) attacks with the master, might be a good idea to give the unit a high strength punch as well.

TROOPS
tactical squad
5 added marines
heavy bolter=175

tactical squad
5 added marines
missile launcher=175
As blueskizid mentioned before, consider a transport for these squads. Right now, your either going to end up wasting the heavy weapons moving, or have ten wound heavy weapons if not moving; unless you combat squad. If you do combat squad, then you have two five man units hoofing it up the field with the command squad taking all sorts of fire.

I'd suggest on top of the transport, a flamer/power weapon or meltagun/powerfist combo so that while half your tactical squads are focused on laying down some fire, the other half can get in close and deal some close combat death.

With what you currently have, I would suggest the following setups:
Company master
Power weapon and combi-weapon (or pair of lightning claws)
125 (130)

Command squad
Meltagun, apothecary, powerfist
Rhino

Tactical squad
Five additional marines, meltagun, missile launcher, powerfist
Rhino

Tactical squad
Five additional marines, meltagun, missile launcher, powerfist
Rhino

That puts you at 815 points, and I want to go on to support blueskizid's suggestion of the deathwing terminators however there aren't enough points for them. So instead maybe a unit of ravenwing bikers? Go with the stock three, pick up a pair of meltaguns, and give them a multi-melta attack bike all for 190 points. With the power weapo/combi-weapon you would be at 1000 points on the dot, and 1005 with the pair of lightning claws.

To be perfectly honest though, I think the command squad overall is a bit of a mistake. The master can ride with one of the tactical squads and then you would be left with points to make use of some of the Dark Angel stuff. I would suggest dropping the command squad entirely, in addition removing the attack bike from the ravenwing squad above, and picking up a unit of deathwing terminators with a cyclone missile launcher. Your list would be at 995 with the pair of lightning claws, has twenty one power armoured bodies, a unit of ravenwing bikers, and deathwing terminators.

As a note, the rules afforded by the deathwing and ravenwing units aside, my suggestions above can yield a better list in the normal marine codex. You can get everything, the two tactical squads, the master (as a captain), the terminators, even the bikers with an attached multi melta attack bike. It would even top out at 990. If you want to use the Dark Angel codex then by all means do, it is a challenge in and of itself.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Im a Longgggg time DA fan, and have always had a very large army of them. With that said i changed to playing the nilla codex because of some of the rules in the DA that make them almost unplayable. ><

If your using DA, there main advantage is using your bikes with scouts/telaport homer to get your deathwing/s squads right into the action on the first turn. If you are gong to use the DA, play to there strengths Deathwing/Ravenwing. otherwise the nilla codex can do the same thing often with more options.

Also read your rules carefully. Storm shields in the DA codex only offer a 4+ save VS Close combat attacks, not ranged. Where the nilla codex Storm shields offer a 3+ VS all attacks. But the DA combat shields offer a 5+ VS close combat and the nilla only a 6+.

But on the + side your Libies hoods will cover the entire board instead of just a 24in range!! try taking a librarian, they are cheap and the DA ones can cast there shooting on your turn and they have a power that gives them a save on the opponents turn. According to the rules its 1 power per turn. So one in yours and one in theirs. The codex ones only have powers that are cast on your turn.

It sucks and wish GW would at least offer an update to the dark angels to up there WS, and change equipment to match the nilla. I liked it better when they released a nilla codex that was the basic rules and then a codex for each chapter that added to those rules instead of replacing them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also read your rules carefully. Storm shields in the DA codex only offer a 4+ save VS Close combat attacks, not ranged. Where the nilla codex Storm shields offer a 3+ VS all attacks.
:shok: gadzuks you're right. Oh dear, my beloved deathwing may not survive their marches to glory after all. Dang.

But i gotta back up what you say about Librarians. Ezekiel is expensive i know, but he rocks - and such a cool mini...

bZ

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a lot of fun tonight with the following
Tac squad x 10 Sgt PW, MG and ML
Tac squad x 10 Sgt PW, flamer and ML
Company Master PW BP
Command Squad, Apoth, 2 Plasma guns, 2 bolters in a rhino
Devastators 4x Plasma Cannons
Came in around 900 odd points

I combat squaded the tacs and used the two sgts in their 5 man squads with their assault gear (MG flamer PW) with the company master.
The rest I placed in cover to shoot with the ML's and hold objectives
The devastators smoked a bunch of Tsons and Chosen, they would have taken out some terminators too but my opponent rolled slow for his reserves they were late to the game.
The command squad parked up next to the devis on the initial barrages (the apoths save was very usefull for devis gets hot failed saves) then charged in to support the footsloggers where needed.
Yes it is a green wing but was very effective, it is simple it moves (somewhat) shoots and has a single strong countercharge. In seize ground games it is very useful to have combat squads. I will work in a few upgrades it will be the base for a 1000 point list.
I try very hard to stick to the DA codex so am not always competitive

·
Registered
548 Posts
Ezekiel, ahhh yes i love that guy... oh for the days when he carried the book of instant loss lol. He is sometimes hard to use as mind worm can kill outright but its used like a heavy weapon ie.. no moving. But it can kill anything with a LD value. yep that's right ANY nids, eldar wraith lords, necrons lords. AND the power states pick a model within 24"(?), actually letting you pick out IC out of units in the shooting phase, nasty nasty spell

And blue there is hope for the termies yet, tho they cant deapstrike like this, attach Azreal to the squad and they all get 4+ invuls. Also works for well for a large squad of vets with CC stuff, since az strikes at ST6 with 5 attacks. hehe yeah power sword of ST6 + pistol.

Also another side not on the rules, DA apoths let you ignore 1 unsaved wound taken by the unit, they do not give FNP. they also prevent victory points for units killed within 6 in of them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts