Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
How is "Tie-ranids" pronounced any differently from "Ty-ran-ids" (Ty-RANT sort of pronunciation?) since they are both the same to me, and I usually go with the later choice.

Sometimes when I hear people pronouce "Eldar" as "Eld-AR" instead of "L-DAR" it drives me up the wall - thankfully I only find that on YouTube.

Sanguinius... San-gwIn-I-us ("I"s have that hard "I" sound like "Icky"

Perturabo...SKIP (I can read it but it always comes out Per-tur-bo) that "a" is always silent when I speak it

Jaghati... jaag-aat-tie (H is silent, Jaag= J-AHHg, I give it a very masculine sound in Germanic - hence the long AHHH sounds, like "Ya" when spoken in German)

Tyranid...Ty-ran-id(s)

Schaeffer... shaf-fer

Ghazghkull... gaz-kool / gaz-kul

Astartes... a-stArt-ehs (Canadians, eh?)

C'tan.... SC-tan (SC = Silicone's hard "S" sound)

Abaddon... a-bad-on/a-ba-don interchangeably - try to stick to the first one though.

Guilliman... gill-y-min

Sam Hain... sam heen/hIIn (Like Charlie Sheen)

Khorne...Corn (on-the-cob:laugh:)

Slaanesh... slan-esh

Tzentch... Ze-n-ch

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
How is "Tie-ranids" pronounced any differently from "Ty-ran-ids" (Ty-RANT sort of pronunciation?) since they are both the same to me, and I usually go with the later choice. ...
Hmm, let's see, I've always thought of:

"Tyranid" as: teer-uh-nid
Sanguinius... San-gwIn-I-us ("I"s have that hard "I" sound like "Icky"...
Sanguinius is Latin for "bloody one" according to my high school Latin teacher. So I always pronounced it based on how I would say "sanguine"

So "Sanguinius" as: Sang-gwin

"Guilliman" as: gyool-i-mon

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yea, I can't see how anyone can pronounce the first part of Sanguinius as San-guinius instead of Sang-guinius

Assuming I'm pronouncing 'sanguine' correctly. It seems like one of those words I've only ever read, never heard

How is "Tie-ranids" pronounced any differently from "Ty-ran-ids" (Ty-RANT sort of pronunciation?) since they are both the same to me, and I usually go with the later choice.

Schaeffer... shaf-fer

Astartes... a-stArt-ehs (Canadians, eh?)

C'tan.... SC-tan (SC = Silicone's hard "S" sound)

Guilliman... gill-y-min

Tzentch... Ze-n-ch
Plenty of people (I think most) pronounce the y in tyranid as an i. Like lid, sit, bid, pick

Schaeffer is surely 'shay-ffer'. Like shade. Schaeffer is a real name and not uncommon so there has to be a clear right answer to that

I was just thinking about Astartes today. I've always said it 'uh-start-ays'

C'tan... for me it's see-tan but I'm probably wrong there. I've never thought about that one!

Gill-ee-mun. Like omen, workman, guardsman

Tzeentch is a good one. It's always been zeench for me, but I heard a guy who worked at GW say zinch when I was a kid, and at that age I never questioned any adult never mind a GW employee, who I regarded as infallible gods when it came to 40k. I went back to zeench eventually, after a couple of existential crises when GW staff recommended patently bad units to me. I was young, but absolutely positive third edition chaos bikes and raptors were bad- yet here was a guy who worked at GW telling me I should buy some

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
How would you pronounce Macragge? I am at a lost, maybe it's cause I'm American and am missing something. I always read it as "Macra jay"

·
Registered
36 Posts

Khorne...Corn (on-the-cob:laugh:)
It's all a matter of hard "I" or soft "I".

Slaanesh and Khorne must be in a relationship, all I hear Slaanesh talking about is Frosted Khorne Flakes.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
How would you pronounce Macragge? I am at a lost, maybe it's cause I'm American and am missing something. I always read it as "Macra jay"
M'crag, as in a Scotsman pointing at a mountain saying 'that's m'crag'

I've always thought that Dawn of War got Tzeentch and C'tan right - Zaynch and Kuh-tan with a glottal stop between the C and Tan.

·
Registered
151 Posts
M'crag, as in a Scotsman pointing at a mountain saying 'that's m'crag'

I've always thought that Dawn of War got Tzeentch and C'tan right - Zaynch and Kuh-tan with a glottal stop between the C and Tan.
As someone with a strong Scottish accent I never get tired of all the ways Macragge ends up sounding ridiculous.
The favourite one in my group is the ship 'Fist of Macragge'. Which, in our accent and vernacular, sounds like someone having something (un)pleasant done to their rear end.

I was also a fan of the first pronunciation of Roboute Guilliman in an audio - RoeBootAy GoolieMan. He probably does have large goolies to be fair.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I've been listening to Mortarion's Heart and it's been an eye opener in a way I didn't expect.

Ever since I knew his name back in the mists of time I've pronounced it Mor - tar - ee - on. However in the audio book they pronounce it Mort - air - ee - on. Wow, just wow. 25 years of pronouncing it wrong. :grin:
I've listened to other audio dramas when his name is pronounced as you thought, so it could just be the narrators fault.

For me personally I've thought Catachan was procounced Cah-Touch-an, with emphasy on the first A, and not Catah-Chan.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
I've listened to other audio dramas when his name is pronounced as you thought, so it could just be the narrators fault.

For me personally I've thought Catachan was procounced Cah-Touch-an, with emphasy on the first A, and not Catah-Chan.
Yeah, I always said Cata-chan, but I attempted to listen to one of the Straken audios only yesterday, and they pronounced it Cata-kan. I've listened to a lot of the BL audios, and am now under the impression that there's no link between writers and voice actors, or even a low level BL lackey who could answer any questions regarding the pronunciation of certain words.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here's a rather mean trick that Aaron Dembski-Bowden plays on people who read The First Heretic. Towards the end of Betrayer he reveals that Cyrene (from the Heretic book) is not pronounce 'Sigh-reen', but 'Sih-renny'. :so_happy: Git!

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Here's a rather mean trick that Aaron Dembski-Bowden plays on people who read The First Heretic. Towards the end of Betrayer he reveals that Cyrene (from the Heretic book) is not pronounce 'Sigh-reen', but 'Sih-renny'. :so_happy: Git!
He did the same in Talon of Horus with the main-character. Roughly sometime during the first half of the book it's like "No my name is pronounced like this!"

·
Registered
15 Posts
He did the same in Talon of Horus with the main-character. Roughly sometime during the first half of the book it's like "No my name is pronounced like this!"
To be honest, I habitually pronounce 'Iskandar' as 'Sikandar', because it's one of those Arabic/Urdu things that are part and parcel of my background. You know, the same way that lots of Arabs have the middle 'name' IBN, but in a lot of later pronunciations ends up becoming 'BIN'.

I have a query about lasguns and other words that carry the las- prefix: do you pronounce them 'lazz'? or 'laze'? It looks like the first, but since it comes from the word 'laser' I assume it's pronounced the second way. Any thoughts, folks?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
To be honest, I habitually pronounce 'Iskandar' as 'Sikandar', because it's one of those Arabic/Urdu things that are part and parcel of my background. You know, the same way that lots of Arabs have the middle 'name' IBN, but in a lot of later pronunciations ends up becoming 'BIN'.

I have a query about lasguns and other words that carry the las- prefix: do you pronounce them 'lazz'? or 'laze'? It looks like the first, but since it comes from the word 'laser' I assume it's pronounced the second way. Any thoughts, folks?
Okay then its just a personal experience as I don't have that background. :) And it's las for everything I've heard.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts