Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,216 Posts
My opinion is probably worthless, but I'll add my 2cents. I have a horrible track record with pronouncing things, so maybe you should look at how I say it and avoid using it.

Mortarion? MOR-tare-ee-on.

Sanguinius? San (sort like sand without the d)-gween-ee-us (short u, like up)

Perturabo? PER-tur (like turn without the n)-uh-boh (like bow-ties).

Vulkan? Vul-KUHN. Like the Star Trek ones.

Jaghati? I don't even try. I just look at it and I know what I'm reading. Thankfully I don't bring his name up much in conversations.

P.S. I'm an American from the Pacific Northwest. Your pronunciation of the word examples I gave may differ.

· Registered
2,216 Posts
Let me hop in my time machine and I'll do it no problem.

Go back 140 years and the English would be calling it soccer.

Why do you think we Americans call it soccer?

Doing some research, it looked like you English called it soccer all the way up through the 70s.

· Registered
2,216 Posts
They would?

As for up to the 70's, everyone I know born prior to the 70's calls it footy. Christmas Truce? Call football. If you mean as an Oxfordism, then yeah, "Soccer", a bit like "Rugger", for Rugby, or "Redders" for Red Hot, or Fiver for Five Pound Note.
They would. Why do you we Americans call it soccer? Because we like being different? It's the same reason why we use imperial.

And ask your 80 year olds and ask what they called "football" in their youth or what most people did.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.