Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been listening to Mortarion's Heart and it's been an eye opener in a way I didn't expect.

Ever since I knew his name back in the mists of time I've pronounced it Mor - tar - ee - on. However in the audio book they pronounce it Mort - air - ee - on. Wow, just wow. 25 years of pronouncing it wrong. :grin:

Therefore I wanted to get peoples thoughts on some of the other tricky pronunciations:

Is Sanguinius pronounced San - gwin - ee - us or san - gween - ee - us or something else entirely?
Is Perturabo pronounced Per - ta - rar - bow or per - tor - a - bow or something else entirely?
Is Vulkan pronounced Vul - cun or Vul - karn or something else entirely?
Is Jaghati pronounced Ja - gar - tie or Jag - a - tie?
Following the pronunciation of Mortarion, is Alpharius pronounced Alf - air - ee - us or Al - far - ee - us

So many names, so many pronunciation problems :grin:

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
My opinion is probably worthless, but I'll add my 2cents. I have a horrible track record with pronouncing things, so maybe you should look at how I say it and avoid using it.

Mortarion? MOR-tare-ee-on.

Sanguinius? San (sort like sand without the d)-gween-ee-us (short u, like up)

Perturabo? PER-tur (like turn without the n)-uh-boh (like bow-ties).

Vulkan? Vul-KUHN. Like the Star Trek ones.

Jaghati? I don't even try. I just look at it and I know what I'm reading. Thankfully I don't bring his name up much in conversations.

P.S. I'm an American from the Pacific Northwest. Your pronunciation of the word examples I gave may differ.

·
Registered
533 Posts
When I started out in the hobby as a kid it seemed like I got the majority of words wrong :biggrin:

Tyranids: Tie-ranids
Schaeffer: Skaeffer

I've forgotten all the others but I'm sure they'll come to me

I pronounce Sanguinius - Sang-gween-ius
Perturabo the first way you suggested
Alpharius the second way you suggested

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ok, time to mess up some word, I'm from south-east America, please forgive me.

Note: a capitol letter mean I am actually saying the name of that letter.

Mortarion.... mort-air-E-N
Sanguinius... sAng-win-E-S
Perturabo... pert-er-a-bo
Vulkan... vul-can
Jaghati... jag-hate-E
Tyranid... tir-an-id
Schaeffer... sh-A-fer
Ghazghkull... gaz-gull
Astartes... a-star-Tz
C'tan.... ca-tan
Abaddon... ab-a-don
Carnifex... k-R-n-a-f-X
Yarrick... yar-ik
Guilliman... gil-a-men
Iyanden... I-an-den
Sam Hain... sam hAn
Khorne... k-or-n
Slaanesh... sla-ne-sh
Tzentch... Z-n-ch
Nurgle... ner-gul
Gue'vesa'la... g-we-ve-s-a-la
Shas'ui... sha-z-we
Shas'Vre... sha-z-ver

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My opinion is probably worthless, but I'll add my 2cents. I have a horrible track record with pronouncing things, so maybe you should look at how I say it and avoid using it.

Mortarion? MOR-tare-ee-on.

Sanguinius? San (sort like sand without the d)-gween-ee-us (short u, like up)

Perturabo? PER-tur (like turn without the n)-uh-boh (like bow-ties).

Vulkan? Vul-KUHN. Like the Star Trek ones.

Jaghati? I don't even try. I just look at it and I know what I'm reading. Thankfully I don't bring his name up much in conversations.

P.S. I'm an American from the Pacific Northwest. Your pronunciation of the word examples I gave may differ.
Thanks and no-one's opinions are worthless :grin: I've not actually heard anyone pronounce Perturabo like you so again, all these years thinking it's one way and you've proved it can be pronounced differently. :grin:

When I started out in the hobby as a kid it seemed like I got the majority of words wrong :biggrin:

Tyranids: Tie-ranids
Schaeffer: Skaeffer

I've forgotten all the others but I'm sure they'll come to me

I pronounce Sanguinius - Sang-gween-ius
Perturabo the first way you suggested
Alpharius the second way you suggested
Ahh now to me Tyranids is Ti (pronounced like tid to rhyme with lid but without the d) - a - nids so thats another one I've got to query with myself now. :grin:

Schaeffer for me is shay (to rhyme with gray) - fer
Thanks for your input on the others, I always thought it was San - gwin - ee - us like in the word Sanguine but equally I can see how it's San - gween - ee - us too :grin:

Ok, time to mess up some word, I'm from south-east America, please forgive me.

Note: a capitol letter mean I am actually saying the name of that letter.

Mortarion.... mort-air-E-N
Sanguinius... sAng-win-E-S
Perturabo... pert-er-a-bo
Vulkan... vul-can
Jaghati... jag-hate-E
Tyranid... tir-an-id
Schaeffer... sh-A-fer
Ghazghkull... gaz-gull
Astartes... a-star-Tz
C'tan.... ca-tan
Abaddon... ab-a-don
Carnifex... k-R-n-a-f-X
Yarrick... yar-ik
Guilliman... gil-a-men
Iyanden... I-an-den
Sam Hain... sam hAn
Khorne... k-or-n
Slaanesh... sla-ne-sh
Tzentch... Z-n-ch
Nurgle... ner-gul
Gue'vesa'la... g-we-ve-s-a-la
Shas'ui... sha-z-we
Shas'Vre... sha-z-ver
Oh man I don't even try with the Tau words :grin: For me Abaddon is A - bad - un but I'm definitely supporting the cuh - tan pronunciation rather than see - tan. I've not heard the jag - hate - ee pronunciation before so that's opened my eyes. The others I pronounce like you even tho I'm from the UK :grin:

Skitar-ee-eye
Ca-ta-phrac-tee-eye
Ball-i-star-ee-eye

I couldn't help myself.
Oh man, I'd not even thought of these. :laugh: I have no idea how to pronounce skitarii although when I'm reading my mind reads it as skit - are - ee but I realise that's probably wrong.

Cataphracti in my mind is cat - a - fract - eye but again I have no idea if that's right. :grin:

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Is Sanguinius pronounced San - gwin - ee - us or san - gween - ee - us or something else entirely?
Sanguine-ee-us seems most likely from the spelling (so Sang-win-ee-us).

Is Perturabo pronounced Per - ta - rar - bow or per - tor - a - bow or something else entirely?
Pert-ur-rab-o

Is Vulkan pronounced Vul - cun or Vul - karn or something else entirely?
Is Jaghati pronounced Ja - gar - tie or Jag - a - tie?
Vul-cun and Jagga-tie.

Following the pronunciation of Mortarion, is Alpharius pronounced Alf - air - ee - us or Al - far - ee - us
I've always gone with alph-A-ree-us, with the emphasis on that middle 'a', but that's the only one I'm not really confident on.

Some I see or do:
Alaitoc - Al-i-tok (seen Alley-a-tok)
Saim-Hann - Syme-Han (I hear Siam Hann or Say-am Hann a lot though)
Roboute Guilliman, which everybody has their own way of saying - Ro-bout Gwill-i-man (heard every variation imaginable, with the most amusing going to the HH Audio Dramas for Ro-booty).
Abaddon - ABBA-don (heard a-BAD-un)
Ghazghkull - Gaz-gull Magger-uck-thracka, running together the middle and last names because the pun kills me every time.
Horus - Whore-uss (heard Hoe-rus and a short o as in 'hot' for Hor-us)
Skitarii - Skit-are-ee-eye (same goes for anything-ii - heard a lot of people pronounce it as 'ee', as in Skit-are-ee)
Belial - Beel-ee-al (I hear Bell-eye-al all the time and for some reason it just really bugs me)

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Let me hop in my time machine and I'll do it no problem.

Go back 140 years and the English would be calling it soccer.

Why do you think we Americans call it soccer?

Doing some research, it looked like you English called it soccer all the way up through the 70s.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Let me hop in my time machine and I'll do it no problem.

Go back 140 years and the English would be calling it soccer.

Why do you think we Americans call it soccer?

Doing some research, it looked like you English called it soccer all the way up through the 70s.
They would?

As for up to the 70's, everyone I know born prior to the 70's calls it footy. Christmas Truce? Call football. If you mean as an Oxfordism, then yeah, "Soccer", a bit like "Rugger", for Rugby, or "Redders" for Red Hot, or Fiver for Five Pound Note.

Thing about all of these? They're slang.

In America, it's language, and not ironically spoken.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They would?

As for up to the 70's, everyone I know born prior to the 70's calls it footy. Christmas Truce? Call football. If you mean as an Oxfordism, then yeah, "Soccer", a bit like "Rugger", for Rugby, or "Redders" for Red Hot, or Fiver for Five Pound Note.

Thing about all of these? They're slang.

In America, it's language, and not ironically spoken.
Yeah it's footie for slang or football for non slang. Soccer is only ever spoken by REALLY posh people like David Cameron and they're not normal :grin:

Anyway is Soccer pronounced sock - er or sew - chair :wink: Sorry couldn't resist as I saw a TV program with a comedian pretending to be a US commentator who was unfamiliar with football and so pronounced it sew - chair! :grin:

I totally forgot about Roboute Guilliman - he's another corker to pronounce. To me it's row - boot gull - i - man but I've heard the row - boot - ee gwee - lee - man as well :grin:

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
They would?

They would. Why do you we Americans call it soccer? Because we like being different? It's the same reason why we use imperial.

And ask your 80 year olds and ask what they called "football" in their youth or what most people did.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They would. Why do you we Americans call it soccer? Because we like being different? It's the same reason why we use imperial.

And ask your 80 year olds and ask what they called "football" in their youth or what most people did.
We use Imperial too in the UK. Miles, pints, yards, inches, feet, pounds and ounces. We even have an extra imperial measurement you guys don't. We have a stone which is 14 pounds. I've never understood why the US uses Imperial but forgot about the weight measurement above the pound. :laugh:

I've checked with an elderly person and it's been known as football by "normal" non posh people for at least the last 90 years.

Anyway..... back to topic :grin:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Abaddon. Is it Ab-a-ddon or A-bad-un? First time I saw the word (in an old Fighting Fantasy book) I read it as a-bad-un but then heard everybody else saying it differently so accepted the more common pronunciation. Now I'm not so sure. I feel like I could have been right in the first place

Ahh now to me Tyranids is Ti (pronounced like tid to rhyme with lid but without the d) - a - nids so thats another one I've got to query with myself now. :grin:

Schaeffer for me is shay (to rhyme with gray) - fer
Thanks for your input on the others, I always thought it was San - gwin - ee - us like in the word Sanguine but equally I can see how it's San - gween - ee - us too :grin:
The pronunciations I mentioned are ones I was wrong about when I was younger- I don't pronounce the y in tyranids as an 'eye' sound any more, though now I think of it the word 'tyrant' definitely suggests t-eye-ranids.

'Skaffer' for Schaeffer was ridiculous, but I got it from a friend and while I suspected it was wrong I liked the sound of it. Colonel Skaffer :biggrin:

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Abaddon. Is it Ab-a-ddon or A-bad-un? First time I saw the word (in an old Fighting Fantasy book) I read it as a-bad-un but then heard everybody else saying it differently so accepted the more common pronunciation. Now I'm not so sure. I feel like I could have been right in the first place
Abba-don.

The pronunciations I mentioned are ones I was wrong about when I was younger- I don't pronounce the y in tyranids as an 'eye' sound any more, though now I think of it the word 'tyrant' definitely suggests t-eye-ranids.
The Tyranids are named after the first planet recorded as being destroyed by them, Tyran, which I imagine was pronounced similarly to 'Tyrant'. However, Tie-ranids sounds far too Southern for me to take it seriously. "Gosh darn it, y'all gotten a buncha Tyranids rampaygin' aroun' the yard I tell you h-what!"

If there's anything that could make Thaddeus shouting "TYRANID ASSAULT!" every twenty seconds on Dawn of War II even more comically annoying, it'd be pronouncing it "Tie-ranid Assault!" :victory:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts