Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm really new to the game, i've been reading the rulebook online and for the most part i've understood what I've read. My question is concerning more of the more "complex" rules concerning the combat phases. Like I said I understand it for the most part but some things are still a little foggy to me. My question is after playing a game or two will the rules seem like a second nature or does it take a little time to completely know the ins and outs of the game? Thanks for reading, and I hope to get some replies.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Takes a game to get most of the infantry combat rules, and another game with vehicles to get most of the vehicle combat rules. It's pretty natural after that.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Ops88 I've been playing this game for a long time and I still forget a rule here and there. Infact I've never known anyone who knew every rule, every game. But after you've played for awhile you do get a lot of the rules as second nature. Some rules become such to the point that when a small detail in them change in a new edition you automatically incorporate the small detail. It's weird.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Takes more than a few games, but you certainly retain more by actually playing than just reading. Play games with someone who is more experienced is a big help, and hopefully they will also be patient enough to help you as you go along.

There's nothing worse than playing some idiot who only wants to stomp the noob into the ground for his own kicks, so stay away from gamers like that ..well until you're confident enough to handle them.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I often find that despite playing for nearly 8 years that I use a rule from the old edition than the new one. I would read the rules that will concern your forces only (no point in reading about force weapons if none exist in the army for example). If an opponent uses a rule you are unsure of ask him (nicely-some opponents can be snappy at times) to explain what he is doing.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Set up a couple of squads and practice shooting at each other; range, line of sight, to hit, to wound, cover/armour saves. Do the same with assaults.

It's much easier to figure out how things work with plastic spacemen/proxy spacemen and some dice than just reading the rulebook.

You will consistently find things you don't know/can't find the rules for- it's because the rulebook is badly written. You can find things eventually, most of the time.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Ops88 I've been playing this game for a long time and I still forget a rule here and there. Infact I've never known anyone who knew every rule, every game. But after you've played for awhile you do get a lot of the rules as second nature. Some rules become such to the point that when a small detail in them change in a new edition you automatically incorporate the small detail. It's weird.
Have you met Deathklokk?

I know its generally frowned upon to read the books online, but if you want to learn at home, I reckon if you can get a mate to give you a hand when he starts off, the two of you can start building an army together. For example, if one of you collects one army, and another collects a different one, you could say do a battle once they're painted and do infantry versus infantry. Once they're done, you can agree a theme for the next month, and a set value of points, and then use those new units and so on and so forth.

For example, I started my Guard Squad recently.

I started with 3 Boxes of Kasrkin. I got truely demolished, as I had 2 Veteran Squads, and a Command Squad, up against Marines and Orks. However, the theme for the next month was 150pts worth of vehicles. I chose a Valkyrie. I was given a one on one tutorial about how to use those in a couple of games, where I was "learning the rules", and then got to use it in a game, up against Predators, Dreadnoughts, Falcons and all sorts.

It's a good way to get your stuff sorted as well.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
496 Posts
Takes more than a few games, but you certainly retain more by actually playing than just reading. Play games with someone who is more experienced is a big help, and hopefully they will also be patient enough to help you as you go along.

There's nothing worse than playing some idiot who only wants to stomp the noob into the ground for his own kicks, so stay away from gamers like that ..well until you're confident enough to handle them.
or he heads over to the Armylist section so the Heresy Crew can make him the biggest cheese list ever with some general tactical advice to beat the douche into the ground :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All great information! Thanks a million for your replies!

See I've told a some of my friends about Warhammer 40k, and a couple of them seem pretty interested so hopefully in the near future (i'm hoping sometime in September) we'll have armies ready to start learning, playing, gaining experience, etc. One thing that will inhibit me a bit is that I do live in a small town, there is a gaming center for the warhammer games, magic, d&d, a few towns over, but I've never been there. I was hoping to get some buddies into the game / hobby, so I'd have some people to play with immediately that I know I get along with. Totally super excited about this though.
On the note of people wanting to be jerks and play with a newcomer to just "school a noob".That's something that I would really like to steer clear of.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd definitely be disappointed if the majority of players in my area that I have the potential to meet end up being douchebags who only care about winning. I'd think it'd be like when I watch football, sure I want my favorite team to win, but I'd rather see a completely neck to neck game that's entertaining that a complete slaughter :p

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You don't root for Cleveland at all do you ... not only do you get to see a slaughter every game, but WE are usually on the losing end. Looks like another bad year for us in the Dawg Pound.:ireful2:
Ehh, It's preseason still, man, so you never know! But I am still pissed about last year, thinking about it now almost makes me want a beer lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts