Predator 120
Autocannon
Lascannon Sponsons

Devastator Squad 150
4 ML
Vanilla Sgt

----------------------------
Any thoughts?

So far I've won 3 games (Orks, Blood Angels, Deamon Hunters), tied 1 (Deamon Hunters) and lost none. They were all objective based, though. Not sure how I'll do in a kill points game.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts

Hey, congrats on the wins....

Looking at the list, the speeders, dev squad and Pred are all good... but the troops choices and the command squad are not, IMO, all that great.

But at the end of the day, it's really all about who you play. I think you're underpowered for 1.5, but perhaps your opponents are too... Or you're just better than they are... But the list above is not in the "kills baby seals for pleasure and thier soft white fur" club...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always get comments about the scouts and especially the storm. It is all about use, I'll either Deep Strike or Outflank the Storm and they are fairly good about contesting objectives if kept alive long enough or swamping some heavy shooter unit for a turn or two.

Telion has not been the greatest for me and I actually plan to lose that whole squad, along with the standard bearer and PF, for plasma pistols and storm shields in the command squad, as well as another MM Speeder.

As far as the tac sqds go, they have been very successful for what I use them as, bait. Running them up to the enemy, if they're shooty, diverts attention away from my better units. Or if the enemy is assualty, they keep my shooty units free to lay on the lead (or very bright light).

As far as the clubbing baby seals for fun armies, I hate it. I'm really trying to do a SM army w/o Termies or LR s and be successful. So far, so good. Thanks for the comments though, it helped me decide about the changes I stated above. +rep

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
Erh... Well, I dont know... Some things are good, but some are not... What kind of army have you played against, how many games?

And are the Razorbacks dedicated transports for the 10-man Tac Squads?? Cause it looks like that, and they have an Capacity of 6 models, not ten... And in game terms that is kind of cheating...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any thoughts?

So far I've won 3 games (Orks, Blood Angels, Deamon Hunters), tied 1 (Deamon Hunters) and lost none. They were all objective based, though. Not sure how I'll do in a kill points game.
The above to answer your first question. (Orks, BA, Deamon Hunters)

As far as taking Razorbacks with full 10 man squads, I combat squad them into 2 units of 5 men each. The 4 vanilla marines and lascannon stay back and try to shoot stuff/ hold my own objectives, while the SGT and flamer go forth and die/ take objectives.

In the case I don't want to combat squad them (kill point games), I can still take a razorback as a dedicated transport, but can not put the unit in it. They're still good to use as cover as I advance and try to shoot stuff. Since, I can't move more than 6" and shoot their main weapon, the whole unit (trans and 10 marines) is not moving faster than the 5 man combat squad & razorback if I want it shooting every turn. More versatile than rhinos, IMO.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Yeah, I don't think Termies have a spot in 1500... they're just too expensive... besides, for 50 more points you can take 2 rifleman dreads....

-----------------------------------
Doelago, it's not cheating... one of the things that makes the Codex marines unique is thier ability to break your 1 group of ten marines into two groups of five... Combat Squad FTW....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You do like your rifleman dreads, don't you? I have one dread model from my very first purchase and it only came with the assault cannon. I've never had any luck with it, so never use it. I might try to proxy some rifleman dreads one game and see what you're talking about. Just to clarify, a rifleman dread has 2 TL-autocannons, right?

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
Doelago, it's not cheating... one of the things that makes the Codex marines unique is thier ability to break your 1 group of ten marines into two groups of five... Combat Squad FTW....
I meant that it is kind of cheating if he putted ten Marines into an Razorback... I never said that it is :nono:

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Yup, they pretty much always hit and are great for busting light tanks and MC's.... plus they're cheap at 125.... And I happen to have the forgeworld bits for them.. so it's easy to field them... If not, then for a bit more points, lots of folks do the TL Las and ML combo on the dread...

I tend to build from a template, at 1.5 it looks like - 1 Libby, 3 Preds, 2 Rifleman, 3 Typhoons, and two full tac squads with TL Las razorbacks... Gives me 9 Long Range threats, and I'll drop stuff to add in what I want to play... Stock, it's about as ugly competative as I can make it, but I think I can lose one or two things in order to add in some fun stuff and not really impact the overall effectiveness of the list... Caveat here is that I don't play a ton of 1.5, so when I do I tend to air on the side of caution and take probably more dakka than I really need....

I think that if you were to upgrade the razorbacks to either TL Las or Las/plas you'd a tough list to crack without too much effort. Might be a good use of Tellion's points... Don't know about the command squad though... I think they need a transport. But even with them in the mix, you would still have a good ammt of ranged threat...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CLT,
I've read your list post and a bit of your blog, you have some good stuff on there.

I do understand your hesitation on the command squad, but I soon realized they're the only thing that can stand more than one turn in close combat with a MC or Teq units. Again, this list is based on not having elite units. So no Termies and no Dreads. If I get into competition (which is highly unlikely), I'll consider the rifleman dreads.

Taking the changes into account, this is the new list I had already made and plan to field test this weekend:

HQ:
Captain 150
PW, Artificer Armor, Plasma Pistol, Melta Bombs

5x Command Squad 220
Apoth, Champ, 3 Vets w/ Plasma Pistols & Storm Shields
Razorback 40
TL-HB

TROOPS:
10x Tac Sqd 205
Flamer, Lascannon, PF
Razorback 75
TL-Lascannons

10x Tac Sqd 205
Flamer, Lascannon, PF

5x Scout Sqd 95
2 Shotguns, 2 blades, 1 PW & melta bombs

FAST ATTACK:
Land Speeder Storm 50

Land Speeder Squadron 190
MM
MM
MM & HF

HEAVY SUPPORT:
Predator 120
Autocannon & Lascannon Sponsons

Devastator Squad 150
4 ML & Vanilla SGT

1500 pts exactly

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Hey thanks for the compliment....

Looks good.... Only other comment would be to break out the speeders in order to fill the FoC.... You'll have to squadron two of them, but not all three...

Overall, I think you have a solid list with a good ammt of dakka and the rest will come down to generalship and luck of the dice... I think a list tooled out for competition might be difficult to face (just cause they could overshoot you - but LOS, deployment, luck can all drastically alter that equation) but I can see what you've put together being able to hang.

Please post after testing...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I used the plasma pistols and storm shields, and to the affect I desired. I lost, first time for this list, but the shields and PP did their jobs. I played a 2v2 game w/ my partner being a Ork horde and our opponents being BA and Vanilla SM, Dread and Pred wall. (That shit is insane.) 11 Preds and 5 Dreads with a Ork Partner that had 3 AP 3 wpns that were killed in the first 2 turns. Also, the dice Gods hated me this game. But enough excuses...

The storm shields and plasma pistols made them viable against a full 10 man Termie squad. The enemy player's said they were extremely annoying. Still have tomorrow to play-test them.

Also, I broke up the Land Speeders into two units. While I didn't get a reserve in until the 4th turn, which also screwed me; the two different units worked well, THANKS!!!

Edit in Red (this color, dumbass)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts