Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here are all the models I have for my Harlequin army split up and designed to be run as actual Harlequins (with two exceptions). This lot clocks in just under 2500 and is by no means any sort of crazy super list, but themed out the gills.

HQ
Maugan Ra

Great Harlequin (Autarch)
Banshee Mask, Firesabre

Master Death Jester (Autarch)
Fusion Gun, Reaper Launcher

Master Shadowseer (Farseer)
Spirit Stone of Anath, Singing Spear

Shadowseer (Spiritseer)

Shadowseer on Bike (Warlock)
Elder Jetbike

Solitaire (Autarch)
Banshee Mask, Mantle of the Laughing God, Shard of Anaris, Fusion Gun

Troop
Ranger Troupe
5x Rangers

Windrider Troupe
3x Windriders (1x Shuricannon)

Elite
Harlequin Master Troupe
8x Harlequins (TL, SS, DJ, 2x Kiss, 2x Fusion)

Harlequin Master Troupe
8x Harlequins (TL, SS, DJ, 2x Fusion)

Harlequin Troupe
6x Harlequins (TL, DJ, 1x Fusion)

Harlequin Troupe
6x Harlequins (TL, DJ, 1x Fusion)

Harlequin Troupe
5x Harlequins (TL, DJ)

Fast Attack
Vyper
Scatter Laser, Holo-fields

Heavy Support
Falcon
Scatter Laser, Holo-fields

Wraithlord
1x Brightlance, 2x Flamer

Wraithknight
Glaive/Shield, 2x Starcannon

I tried to remove all the counts-as I had in my list. Still no Harlie bikes, so they stayed windriders. I also like my Harlequin ranger conversions, so I kept them as-is. If you have been familiar with my standard Harlequin list you can see where I have tweaked and moved units around. I split the "mime" into two units and added two of the Death Jesters that were in the Dark Reaper squad. I trimmed two Harlequins from each of my master troupes and added the third Death Jester to make another small unit. Most of the fun was had by getting to add in a full Master selection by abusing the HQ section...yes you read that right 6 Independent Characters.

Like I said this is by no means a power list, however I would love to get a few games in with it. Provided my regular opponents are not going to be cry-babies and let me play Unbound, I will actually do some modelling and put together a real list. I can see doing some Venom conversions to my 3 Vypers so I can load up 3 small squads in there and can always trim around the edges to get the points totals more in line for actual competitive play.

C&C away

·
Registered
720 Posts
Looks really fun to play, may I ask though why the vyper? and are you only keeping the ranger because you have them converted because if not yuo could have more harliquins with those points.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They Vyper has worked for this army in general (I have two more that I keep meaning to put together, but haven't)...long range S6 firepower with high maneuverability...the main reason it is in is because I have it painted up. :p

I like rangers, they are a resilient objective taking unit and with the points drop in 6ed are cheap as chips.

Mostly this list is designed to field what I have painted up...in a lower point value game I would start trimming things (like the Vyper and Maugan) to bring it inline.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Cool, looks fun. What are your future plans with the list.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure...I have another 30 or so of the old harlequin models that are unpainted. I have a press mold to do the masks which should make it easier to do another 2 vyper/venoms, another 2 wraithlords, a hemlock, and a unit of the new wraithguard that I want to do with masks.

So there is a lot of modelling to be done...I need to sit down and pair the list down to optimize how it plays and that requires getting some games in. I will throw out a 1000, 1500, and 1850 point list because those are the standard game point costs in this area.

·
Registered
720 Posts
That sounds cool. Always liked the harliquin fluff but could never get the hang of them in 40k tabletop.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The key to playing any fragile CC monster (genestealers, banshees, wytches, etc) is distraction and presenting negative target choices, first. Second, is to attack appropriate targets...throwing your CC units into other CC units should only be done as a last resort or to tie them up. "Shoot the Stabby, Stab the Shooty" is key to successfully using CC units.

In my case, that has been pushing forward deadly units that are tough like the Falcon and the Wraith units (the solitaire fills this roll pretty well also) to absorb firepower while the Harlequins close the gap. Using LoS blocking terrain and the Veil of Tears power to prevent/dissuade gunfire. It is an aggressive play style and the nasty units have to be dealt with, which often gives you the chance to get into the thick of CC turn 2 or 3.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I wouldn't have thought the solitare as being very good. Fluffy yes but good?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With the Mantle and the Shard, he is a pretty scary model. 3+/4++ and a base 4+ cover save (stealth and shrouded, effectively a 2+ save if in any cover at all) that he can re-roll. S5 rending with 5 attacks on the charge, against characters (in a challenge) add Fleshbane and Instant Death. Toss in Hit and Run, Fearless, and the Banshee Mask on top of the Autarch statline (WS6 I6). A Fusion Gun and Haywire grenades make him a good all around threat to vehicles and heavy armored target.

The only downside is the T3 and the risk of someone getting a lucky S6+ shot through his saves. He clocks in at about 160pts, compares favorably to most of the nasty CC characters and is really difficult to shoot dead. Also as a lone model he gets real easy to hide behind LoS blocking against the few things that can snuff him out.

I have found opponents will spend quite a bit of effort to kill him. Whether that is worth it or not who knows, at the very least he is a nice distraction. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts